2018/19 GP Assignments

With the season done, we're back to this. Top 12 skaters at Worlds have 2 spots guaranteed, and 1 spot per top 24 SB/WS.

Link to Worlds results

Link to World standings

Link to Season Best results

Place Date
Skate America October 19–21
Skate Canada October 26–28
Cup of China November 2–4
NHK November 9–11
Rostelecom Cup November 16–18
IdF November 23–25

I'm actually really curious who's going to go where, what with the rule of top 3 at Worlds cannot meet and on the other hand, peeps like Boyang and Yuzuru of course, or in the ladies, Zhenya, not falling under that rule. I guess technically none of them have 2 guaranteed spots but yeah. 

I am also very curious to see if the IdF rumor pans out for Zu though personally I'm hoping it doesn't. NHK is still the best bet for him IMO.

World Standings for purposes of GP assignments for the 2018/2019 season need to be estimated as of July 1st (beginning of next season) since the current World Standings won't be the ones used for GP purposes.

I'm copying in here some data from the peeps at GS:

Top 12 at Worlds, guaranteed 2 spots

Spoiler

MEN

Chen
Uno
Kolyada
Bychenko
Tomono
Vasiljevs
Aliev
Messing
Ge
Brezina
Aaron
Majorov

LADIES

Osmond
Higuchi
Miyhara
Kostner
Zagitova
Tennell
Daleman
Sotskova
Hendrickx
Nagasu
Tursynbaeva
Bell

Note: If any of these skaters retire, then the next skater in placement moves up and so forth until all 12 places are occupied again. 

Season's Best, guaranteed 1 spot

Spoiler

MEN

Hanyu
Boyang
Fernandez
Zhou
Voronov
Brown
Rippon
Chan
Tanaka
Yan
Samarin
Hendrickx
Samohin
Kvitelashvili

LADIES

Medvedeva
Sakamoto
Mihara
Tsurskaya
Radionova
Konstantinova
Choi
Honda
Tuktamysheva
Panenkova
Matsuda
Yamashita
(Trusova, Kostornaia and Tarakanova are still age ineligible)

Estimated World Standings beginning July 1st

Spoiler

MEN

1 Nathan CHEN
2 Shoma UNO
3 Yuzuru HANYU
4 Mikhail KOLYADA
5 Javier FERNANDEZ retired (at least from GP)
6 Alexei BYCHENKO
7 Jason BROWN
8 Boyang JIN
9 Dmitri ALIEV
10 Adam RIPPON retired?
11 Max AARON
12 Deniss VASILJEVS
13 Patrick CHAN (retired)
14 Sergei VORONOV
15 Misha GE retired?
16 Alexander SAMARIN
17 Vincent ZHOU
18 Jorik HENDRICKX
19 Moris KVITELASHVILI
20 Keiji TANAKA
21 Kazuki TOMONO
22 Matteo RIZZO
23 Roman SAVOSIN
24 Keegan MESSING
25 Alexei KRASNOZHON
26 Alexander MAJOROV
27 Chafik BESSEGHIER
28 Han YAN Retired?
29 Nam NGUYEN
30 Daniel SAMOHIN

LADIES

1 Kaetlyn OSMOND
2 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
3 Alina ZAGITOVA
4 Wakaba HIGUCHI
5 Maria SOTSKOVA
6 Carolina KOSTNER retired?
7 Mai MIHARA
8 Satoko MIYAHARA
9 Kaori SAKAMOTO
10 Gabrielle DALEMAN
11 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA
12 Karen CHEN
13 Mirai NAGASU retired?
14 Mariah BELL
15 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA
16 Bradie TENNELL
17 Rika HONGO
18 Dabin CHOI
19 Marin HONDA
20 Nicole SCHOTT
21 Laurine LECAVELIER
22 Loena HENDRICKX
23 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
24 Nicole RAJICOVA
25 Elena RADIONOVA
26 Anna POGORILAYA

There are 72 spots for men (and ladies?) on the GP. Once the top 12 at Worlds all have their two assignments (24), that leaves 48 spots to be handed out. The top 12 from Worlds will likely be in the Top 24 Season's Best, so they already have their assignments, leaving a bunch more for all the skaters only guaranteed 1 spot. 

The interesting thing here is that Yuzuru, Evgenia (and Sui/Han in pairs) will be able to be assigned to compete against basically anyone, because they're not seeded from the Top 12 at Worlds. We may be seeing a few head to heads early in the season, like it happened last season. 

Also, with the top 3 being given first choice most time, unless it interferes with a host's pick, I wonder what Nathan, Shoma and Mikhail will choose and what of their choices will be met.

Nathan will obviously have SA and Mikhail CoR.

Will Shoma finally get NHK? And if yes, will JSF allow Yuzuru there as well? Strategically it doesn't seem smart but this is the Fed that sent 3 of their top ladies to CoC to fight each other off a GPF spot. 

Or will they prefer Yuzuru at NHK (since he hasn't done a competition in ages in Japan) and have Shoma choose other two assignments?

Yes, 72 for the ladies as well.

I really wonder what'll happen to NHK and Yuzuru. The thing about the potential deal with the French is that if Zu ends up at NHK and IdF then it's sort of a question mark for Shoma. 

Yes, they could both go to NHK but IMO the last season's lunacy with the ladies was more an ill thought out idea to let them duke it out, while protecting Satoko, for that second spot so it wasn't really guided by anything else. And yet, if Zu goes to NHK and IdF and Shoma isn't at NHK then what? He cannot go to CoR or SA. That leaves us with SC and CoC but those are back to back. While I don't think he would mind the competitions, he does have jet lag issues so I don't think that works for him.

If Zu does his standard SC and NHK then that sort of solves the problem, as Shoma can then do CoC and IdF.

If Zu doesn't do NHK at all, then it could be SC and IdF because though CoC and HNK are back to back again, Shoma wouldn't have jet lag issues.

If Yuzuru does Idf, I think he wont do NHK. Imagine NHK-Idf-GPF-National, he will have 4 comps in less than 2 months, not to mention the travelling will be a nightmare 

As for ladies, I think SC and Idf for Keatlyn. Very curious who will get NHK, although I think Satoko has way higher chance to get it than Wakaba

Yes, that came straight from the French fed and Didier, how apparently there's a 'suggestion' that P/C and Zu should basically swap so we'd have IdF and NHK for them. Of course I have no idea how much of it is a suggestion and how much a 'suggestion' but it really isn't ideal if he's doing NHK as we can see. 

@Sammie yup!

41 minutes ago, lilsailor said:

apparently there’s a deal between jsf and French fed for yuzu to do idf and p/c to do nhk afaik

This sounds really bad... it is like jsf is using Zu to trade something... how dare you jsf...

Just now, SSS said:

This sounds really bad... it is like jsf is using Zu to trade something... how dare you jsf...

Ehhh, news is from the French fed so ... let's say it's their side of the story? I mean they'd want Zu there of course, for obvious reasons but it doesn't mean JSF is forcing him into anything. They could ask him if he's willing, and he might be, and of course, this type of swapping isn't unusual. Stronger 'suggestions' though are not pretty but heck, we don't know. Could be either one. 

2 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Ehhh, news is from the French fed so ... let's say it's their side of the story? I mean they'd want Zu there of course, for obvious reasons but it doesn't mean JSF is forcing him into anything. They could ask him if he's willing, and he might be, and of course, this type of swapping isn't unusual. Stronger 'suggestions' though are not pretty but heck, we don't know. Could be either one. 

IdF is too close to gpf:8: anyway wish Zu heal his foot soon.

55 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yes, that came straight from the French fed and Didier, how apparently there's a 'suggestion' that P/C and Zu should basically swap so we'd have IdF and NHK for them. Of course I have no idea how much of it is a suggestion and how much a 'suggestion' but it really isn't ideal if he's doing NHK as we can see. 

@Sammie yup!

Yes! I have a few men to look forward too. 

:smiley-happy085:

The ladies just going to kill me. I love them all! 

:smiley-scared005:

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

@Sammie yup!

If it's from the Federation, then it sounds pretty legit :/ I know Yuzu makes a lot of his decisions but the JSF also has a lot of power over him as Brian has hinted in the past. 

Speaking of assignments, when do we typically hear what GP comps each skater is doing? Is it June/July or quite late?