2018/19 GP Assignments

21 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Something I want to point out: with the rules change, there's going to be a lot more pressure on skaters to skate clean rather than trying and failing on risky elements. Idk if people here can remember, but the last time there was a scoring system like that, skaters were very conservative in what they would try to jump and land. So I think we're going to see  a) a different approach to the skating by everyone, and b ) skaters who rarely go clean struggling a lot. In my opinion, what this means is someone like Kolyada or Chen, who are sporadically brilliant but susceptible to nerves, is at a disadvantage, while a skater like ,say, Shoma, who is usually solid, could surge ahead. Yuzu will of course rise to the occasion as always.

I'm not really sure: this is the first season with new rules, and skaters might need to experience how costly unclean skating is on their own skin first before they become more conservative.

The whole thing really is unpredictable due to new scoring, I think most skaters will want to participate in Challenger events just to see how the scoring will look in practice.

22 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

Well here is a veeeeery close preview if you're interested:

3a23e791d5bfea72f13f695ef814a949.jpg

Got a better one. There is an actual ballet where a male dancer has to do a solo dressed head to toe in gold: La Bayadere, golden idol dance. 

21 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's just crazy...how long has he been out, 7 or 8 years? This feels a little Torvil and Dean to me. maybe not the greatest idea.

Four years since Sochi, the whole of possibly the most rambunctious quad in history where the men are concerned...

Have to admit, while I wish him and his fans all the best, I couldn't help thinking of Patrick Chan's one year off and how he never got off the back foot after his return, couldn't quite catch back up... and Brian Boitano's(?) recent and apparently hard-won advice to Yuzu.  But then the rules have changed, the Japanese men's field isn't, as I understand it, as ridiculously hard as before, and I doubt he's really aiming as high as Chan was... from the sound of it, he just wants a chance to redo the finish of a great career.  I hope he can.

Super thrilled to hear about Dai's return! One of my all time faves!!  I'm keeping expectations reasonable but I am looking forward to new programs from him and what he can still bring to the ice.  

NHK tickets will probably be hard to get now, and Nats, but I bet Worlds will also be really difficult since they are likely to be on sale before nationals. 

13 hours ago, TallyT said:

Four years since Sochi, the whole of possibly the most rambunctious quad in history where the men are concerned...

Have to admit, while I wish him and his fans all the best, I couldn't help thinking of Patrick Chan's one year off and how he never got off the back foot after his return, couldn't quite catch back up... and Brian Boitano's(?) recent and apparently hard-won advice to Yuzu.  But then the rules have changed, the Japanese men's field isn't, as I understand it, as ridiculously hard as before, and I doubt he's really aiming as high as Chan was... from the sound of it, he just wants a chance to redo the finish of a great career.  I hope he can.

I have to say that now that this has happened, I wonder if Patrick will be tempted to try another season. These new rules would really favor him, I suspect. On the other hand, in his interviews after the Olympics, he definitely sounded DONE with competitive skating altogether.

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I have to say that now that this has happened, I wonder if Patrick will be tempted to try another season. These new rules would really favor him, I suspect. On the other hand, in his interviews after the Olympics, he definitely sounded DONE with competitive skating altogether.

Let the guy enjoy his peaceful life with his winery and his pottery. These three years have been far too hard on him. 

1 minute ago, Fay said:

Let the guy enjoy his peaceful life with his winery and his pottery. These three years have been far too hard on him. 

I agree. In all his interviews post-Oly, he sounded really excited to be getting on with the rest of life. However, it's one of those things I can't help but think right now. 

21 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Putting this here as well because damn.... maybe Daisuke is getting that TBD in NHK and that's why JSF was fine with Yuzu not being there...

New season just started and it's been wildin!

I really don't think so unless he's been practicing for much longer. I just read the full interview with Daisuke, Nobu, and Tanaka and I think this was done back in April. Daisuke mentioned he wants to get back his skating since he's been away for so long. I really doubt he'd be ready for NHK that quickly.