2018/19 GP Assignments

1 hour ago, hoodie axel said:

I did consider it, and I think that's in the back of my head, but Vincent's quads and (credit where it's due) effort in the PCS department ought to take the cake. Thing is, Aliev has a great style, but his technique isn't a lot better. Zhou looks like 2+2 to me.

Skate America has the weakest mens' field. Finland GP men's lineup is STACKED! But the Finland ladies is also kind of weak

6 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

If they are, then it's just a justification not to actually bother and protect their supposed #1. Especially considering Yuzuru has not only been injured, but is still in the process of rehab. 

Take a look at what USFSA is doing. SA is literally made for Nathan and Vincent. It is such an easy 1 and 2, and they took care to protect both their number 1 and 2, and maximize their chances for the GPF. Yet somehow this is beyond JSF. I mean it's not odd, they do the same thing in the ladies, they focus on one, and throw the rest to the wolves but it is just not a decent way to handle things. 

They're prioritizing Shoma big time, and I absolutely refuse to like any part of that. 

Vincent has pretty low chance to win any GP soSA is like safest choice to get that silver. It's not same for Shoma cuz he needs to stop that silver streak, and can win if JSF give him good GPs (like they did). Yuzu has been reliable for them for so many years even w not much help, he's also at the status that's like, the ultimate top, the other side of his career, so they're like whatever. They can't rely on Yuzu forever so prioritizing Shoma is totally expected thou.

29 minutes ago, monchan said:

Vincent has pretty low chance to win any GP soSA is like safest choice to get that silver. It's not same for Shoma cuz he needs to stop that silver streak, and can win if JSF give him good GPs (like they did). Yuzu has been reliable for them for so many years even w not much help, he's also at the status that's like, the ultimate top, the other side of his career, so they're like whatever. They can't rely on Yuzu forever so prioritizing Shoma is totally expected thou.

Yes I feel like they are preparing for the time when Yuzu retires. Yuzu doesn't really need any help from politicking. He is just that good!

3 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

They don't. Which is admirable on one side but to be perfectly blunt, plain stupid by now, considering what everyone else is doing. 

And yes, they're not the best overall, in terms of how they handle things.

@Cerunias actually nobody knows exactly why China gave up all the events this season. There are theories, but that's about that.

Regarding China: my bet is internal politics. 

My wishful thinking is Polina for GPF :sadPooh: But it would be hard, tech panel last year at SA was not working at all. Considering they would try to prop up Zhou this year, I don’t expect them to work either. 

21 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Shoma's and Satoko's jumps, tho

I know that Wakaba and Mai are counterpoints... What even :facepalm:

Yeah, but that's kind of all they use their political powers on though. Which makes me wonder how much power they really have, since it's not more severe than some USFSA skaters, yet USFSA manages to get the ignore button pushed plus some more. It's a bit like Japan isn't willing to go beyond the UR issue for fear of what may happen if they try. =/ Which after the Chinese judges, I don't blame them.

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Regarding China: my bet is internal politics. 

No one in China knows for sure, but the general feeling is that this was due to speed skating and figure skating just went as collateral. All the speed skating and short track events got cancelled too, just that figure skating might need to announce earlier, so all the figure events got into the headlines more. It's speed skating that's at the crux of the issue, and in other news, it seems Chinese Nats team just hired the former Canadian men's team coach to China for the men's speed/short track team. Rumor has it the women's side got a former korean national coach to join too. I'd imagine the financial hit is felt even more on the speed/short track side, because I'm not sure how you get audiences for these events? o_O  Also, the rink that hosted the WC2015 is in Shanghai, last I heard not under rennovation, which makes the rennovation argument completely void for the Shanghai trophy that also got cancelled...no way that one could not have been used to host CoC if China wanted to.

I'm seriously now considering Finlandia tickets in early October. Timing wise, this would work better than ACI.

Finnish Fed said in their press release that ISU asked about their will to host the GP event only a week ago, after Korea refused. So I guess Helsinki got pretty much the skaters that were originally assigned to CoC. Boyang and Sui/Han are coming to Helsinki too. What come to Yuzu I wonder will he and his team try to search for a training base in Finland or Russia for the short time between the two competitions. Otherwise he would have to travel very much. The venue is unfortunately a lot smaller than at the Worlds2017. In Helsinki Ice Hall there are about 8200 seats. Hartwall Arena was not available for those days. As Helsinki is my hometown I am of course very happy about this decision!!!   

28 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

Finnish Fed said in their press release that ISU asked about their will to host the GP event only a week ago, after Korea refused. So I guess Helsinki got pretty much the skaters that were originally assigned to CoC. Boyang and Sui/Han are coming to Helsinki too. What come to Yuzu I wonder will he and his team try to search for a training base in Finland or Russia for the short time between the two competitions. Otherwise he would have to travel very much. The venue is unfortunately a lot smaller than at the Worlds2017. In Helsinki Ice Hall there are about 8200 seats. Hartwall Arena was not available for those days. As Helsinki is my hometown I am of course very happy about this decision!!!   

Have fun! And hope you get to see Finlandia too (I have a lot of weird, but good feelings about who is going there).

And well, I'm not surprised...the way the wording went in the Chinese press, it seemed like ISU already knew Korea would likely refuse (since Japan took all its extra assignments so fast). 

As for training base...has no one considered Yuzu going to Spain (since Javi is there and his sister is director for FS in spain right), or maybe Lambiel's rink in Switzerland? If Yuzu doesn't go back to Toronto (the one thing I'm not happy about is the time between comps for him).

I actually don't think Yuzu would have been assigned to CoC, Alina would have been though. I think Yuzu got shifted around so to kind of help sweeten the deal (which is fair since Finn Fed has to do this on such short notice). Still, good luck to the Finnish Fed and yay for good organizing skills on such short notice.

On a side note: not to defend what JSF is doing, because it pretty much does amount to Yuzu getting schafted....but Yuzu is a fed negotiator's wet dream. Think about how much clout you can negotiate with, just releasing him to an event can net you a lot in return, yet the amount of work you need to do to defend him (if any), or loss really is just minimal. Seriously, a negotiator's wet dream for a trump card.

I don't know about Yuzu not being protected. He has to face one of Nathan/Shoma/Misha at each of his GPs, and facing Misha twice is definitely the most favorable situation among the possibilities. The only wrinkle is having to face Boyang in Helsinki too--but even though Boyang and Misha are both threats if Yuzu doesn't skate well, Yuzu still has a pretty hefty advantage over both of them.

8 hours ago, wingman said:

FINLAND???? Sorry, I'm still digesting (just got back from dinner). 

What's going on - do you think the whole CoC thing threw it off, no one wants to host, and the ISU was like: "here. Whoever host this one will have Hanyu". ????? 

That's funny and probably true. 'Host it! It's expensive but profits guaranteed! You'll sell out! The Japanese are coming!'

7 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Because JSF couldn't care less. Basically same old, same old from the previous season. Also unfortunately, probably a good indication not to expect too much from their PCS.

Now that I've had some sleep I can be properly annoyed about this. Yay. What the hell, JSF, do you hate rotated jumps that much? My poor Mai. My poor Wakababy. My poor Rika!