2018/19 GP Assignments

8 minutes ago, liv said:

I think it's nice that yuzu gets a chance to win an inaugural event.  Anywhere he skates is basically a home crowd anyway.... 

It'll be his first GP event. Historically..... we know how those turn out. :embSwan:

2 minutes ago, xeyra said:

It'll be his first GP event. Historically..... we know how those turn out. :embSwan:

Things might change. For once. If he gets his Canadian silver at Autumn Classic, say... he might un-jinx himself. 

@Forcefield The champion gets to state their picks but don't think that is passed on to whoever is first seed next season, if they choose not to participate in the GP.

It's a mess really, both for her and Mai. Ah well. 

And I am not sure I understand the Korean Fed refusing the GP considering their skaters stuck with just the one GP could have had host picks then. 

7 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

...what are they doing engraving the bloody list?

I wake up, and I note that the stone slabs have been handed down from high up.

It seems nice that Hanyu gets a bit more time to fully get back into things before competing (given he's still trying to stabilise the 4S currently).

But 'scuse me, Hanyu didn't get NHK? Colour me surprised...or maybe not...I guess I can understand it if NHK was forced to take Uno. The way the assignments look, barring anything weird happening or any injuries, you would've thought that Hanyu and Uno have both got reasonable chances of getting invited to the GP Finals. But I imagine there would be a lot of disappointed Japanese fans...

Anyway, Helsinki is gonna be a heck of a battle in the men's single compared to the other GPs IMO...

But does anyone know WHY China decided not to host a GP event this year?

3 hours ago, Katt said:

Since when they really care about him ? I would take this as a fresh change and I have a good feeling about Finland. Tbh I'm surprise that he got COR. I thought Rus fed would protect Kolyada more. 

I am not sure that Kolyada has all that much support from RusFed. TAT is a bigger fan of Yuzu than him. He has a rough draw getting Yuzu in both GP’s 

1 minute ago, LucyH said:

I am not sure that Kolyada has all that much support from RusFed. TAT is a bigger fan of Yuzu than him. He has a rough draw getting Yuzu in both GP’s 

She would still love for Kolyada to try and beat Yuzu - she’s just frustrated with Misha. 

6 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

And I am not sure I understand the Korean Fed refusing the GP considering their skaters stuck with just the one GP could have had host picks then. 

It could be money. The country just spent a lot on the Olympics. They're probably not as shameless as France to hand out coasters and plastic stars.

Also, the KOR fed seems to not do much for their skaters and don't know how to politick, even worse than Japan who at least favors one or two. Supposedly, they don't inflate scores at their own Nationals either to drum up hype (like at US nationals even Nathan has come close to Yuzu's world records). They haven't done much for Cha either, even though he's a new senior who is a quad jumper. Seems like they're still stuck on Kim Yuna.

7 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Supposedly, they don't inflate scores at their own Nationals either to drum up hype

They don't. Which is admirable on one side but to be perfectly blunt, plain stupid by now, considering what everyone else is doing. 

And yes, they're not the best overall, in terms of how they handle things.

@Cerunias actually nobody knows exactly why China gave up all the events this season. There are theories, but that's about that.