2018/19 GP Assignments

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

Don’t tell me they’re going to treat the two time Olympic champion that way too, please... 

I expect it. He has earned a status of legend by now so he's partially protected in that way but at the same time, it's also an ideal excuse for JSF to not lobby for him and focus on Shoma. Where that'll leave him in the end, we have to wait and see. I expect he'll still do fine for the simple reason that he is just such a massively huge name and so good that he leaves very little room for wiggle. Knock on wood at least, who even knows any longer with this sport.

I went to Worlds in Milan because I thought that'd be the only chance to see Yuzu in Europe for a while and now he's coming here for both GP assignments haha typical

I won't be going to either of them but honestly it'll be nice just to have the competitions on at a normal time of day for me instead of having to wake up at the crack of dawn or go to bed too late like for Canada or Japan. Just perfect :2thumbsup: Thanks Zu

@Yatagarasu I saw your post on GS in the JPN ladies thread (sorry I don't want to post on there) about Satoko's very good GP assignments and Wakaba's harsh ones. Since Katelyn isn't doing GPs, isn't Wakaba 1st seed and doesn't she somehow get the privilege to put in a preference of GPs? Or is that just a perk of the champion? Still trying to wrap my mind around her GPs. Maybe she did request SC and COR and didn't think about who else will be there, or JSF didn't give her advice.

I'm glad Yuzu's gonna skate on good ice and get real medals (*knocks on wood*). :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I've read again the assignments and Helsinki also got Sui/Han, so they really had some big names. :bow:The line up for ladies is very good too.

Funny enough, many men at Helsinki will also be at COR, Erokhov and Krasnozhon included.

1 minute ago, Forcefield said:

@Yatagarasu I saw your post on GS in the JPN ladies thread (sorry I don't want to post on there) about Satoko's very good GP assignments and Wakaba's harsh ones. Since Katelyn isn't doing GPs, isn't Wakaba 1st seed and doesn't she somehow get the privilege to put in a preference of GPs? Or is that just a perk of the champion? Still trying to wrap my mind around her GPs. Maybe she did request SC and COR and didn't think about who else will be there, or JSF didn't give her advice.

though I wonder why Wakaba would ask for SC...unless she wants the challenge of skating against Evgenia. She's competitive (and her team hasn't been always the best at strategy...tho is it still her team? I should check the Jpn thread), maybe she feels the need to be in high pressure situation... I know, I know, I'm grasping at straws here:13877886: Just trying to understand the logic.

45 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

France tried to get a deal with Hanyu and couldn't.

I wonder if Helsinki also had a deal to have Hanyu and Alina skate there in order to host a GP. Just a thought.

If I got used as a high-value trading card, I'd probably prefer being sent to Helsinki instead of the land of swimming pool rinks, cardboard coaster medals and plastic stars :smiley-rolleyes009:

1 minute ago, Pamigena said:

If I got used as a high-value trading card, I'd probably prefer being sent to Helsinki instead of the land of swimming pool rinks, cardboard coaster medals and plastic stars :smiley-rolleyes009:

Plastic stars were special! Javi has one - it’s HUGE! 

8 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I'm glad Yuzu's gonna skate on good ice and get real medals (*knocks on wood*). :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I've read again the assignments and Helsinki also got Sui/Han, so they really had some big names. :bow:The line up for ladies is very good too.

Funny enough, many men at Helsinki will also be at COR, Erokhov and Krasnozhon included.

though I wonder why Wakaba would ask for SC...unless she wants the challenge of skating against Evgenia. She's competitive (and her team hasn't been always the best at strategy...tho is it still her team? I should check the Jpn thread), maybe she feels the need to be in high pressure situation... I know, I know, I'm grasping at straws here:13877886: Just trying to understand the logic.

Or maybe it's the opposite and she feels much more pressure with a home crowd, like at GPF and Nationals so she decided to not go for NHK. In that case, NHK should have invited Zhenya or Alina to get them out of one of the other GPs. So in the end, I don't think they protected anyone aside from Satoko who is effectively avoiding them.

Theory is Helsinki requested some big names as a draw in exchange for hosting an expensive GP competition on short notice. Once that happened, and having to take into account the 1-3 seed from Worlds rules and avoiding back to back assignments, Helsinki and CoR was what was left. Though technically Yuzu could have gone to IdF instead of CoR but maybe he wanted to avoid plastic medals again.