2018/19 GP Assignments

5 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I saw this too: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180622/fgr18062217510001-n1.html

at this point i think there's no way that the assignments have been made yet

who would get assigned to this missing GP if no one even knows what continent it's on?

This GP will be back to back with NHK. So if it is in Europe highly unlikely Yuzu will go. If this is true then Yuzu will go to NHK+IDF, I think. And Shoma will do Skate Canada+NHK. Kolyada will do New GP + Rostelecom. And Nathan will do Skate America + IDF.

I had a crack at guessing assignments based on this rumour and here's what I came up with.

This is assuming 1) new GP will be in Europe, and 2) CoR and SA don't want Yuzu.

So ruling out SA and COR, there are 6 combinations remaining:

SC/NHK: possible but cutting it close

SC/new GP: back to back and jet lag

SC/IdF: possible

New GP/NHK: back to back and jet lag

New GP/IdF: possible but 2 Europe events would be unusual

NHK/IdF: possible

At first I thought it would be possible for SC/NHK to happen, but looking at Yuzu's assignments in the past, NHK/SC were always spaced roughly a month apart. Last year they were roughly a week apart, which is making me think this is why Yuzu went to CoR instead of SC. This year, SC/NHK are also under 2 weeks apart. Looking back at past years, he spaces his assignments at least 3 weeks apart where possible.

My conclusion is the chance of Yuzu attending IdF is quite high (and we all know the French feds want him). What the other event is will depend on feds as well, but I think Yuzu is likely to get invited to NHK.

The only issue with IdF is that it's right before the GPF and jet lag might be a factor. But he's done NHK right before the GPF in both 2015 and 2016 (both of which were in Europe) so I don't think it's impossible.

edit: Just realised NHK has always been his second event, which fits SC/NHK more than NHK/IdF. But again, he might not have as much control over assignments this time around.

1 hour ago, dotsquare said:

I had a crack at guessing assignments based on this rumour and here's what I came up with.

This is assuming 1) new GP will be in Europe, and 2) CoR and SA don't want Yuzu.

So ruling out SA and COR, there are 6 combinations remaining:

SC/NHK: possible but cutting it close

SC/new GP: back to back and jet lag

SC/IdF: possible

New GP/NHK: back to back and jet lag

New GP/IdF: possible but 2 Europe events would be unusual

NHK/IdF: possible

At first I thought it would be possible for SC/NHK to happen, but looking at Yuzu's assignments in the past, NHK/SC were always spaced roughly a month apart. Last year they were roughly a week apart, which is making me think this is why Yuzu went to CoR instead of SC. This year, SC/NHK are also under 2 weeks apart. Looking back at past years, he spaces his assignments at least 3 weeks apart where possible.

My conclusion is the chance of Yuzu attending IdF is quite high (and we all know the French feds want him). What the other event is will depend on feds as well, but I think Yuzu is likely to get invited to NHK.

The only issue with IdF is that it's right before the GPF and jet lag might be a factor. But he's done NHK right before the GPF in both 2015 and 2016 (both of which were in Europe) so I don't think it's impossible.

Yuzu is most certainly going to get NHK, no doubt about that.  NHK/IDF is also just under 2 weeks apart, same scheduling as SC/NHK, so I think SC/NHK is more possible?  SC is more convenient and certainly no jetlegg for him, and NHK is almost 4 weeks before GPF which gives him plenty of time to train and make adjustments to the programs.  The only problem is where to put Shoma, Shoma can also do both SC/NHK but I don't think JSF would want the top 2 contenders in the same GP 2 times in a row.  

One possible option is they both do SC and shoma either do the new gp back to back or do the IDF.  Now if Nathan also gets IDF, I don't know how the Feds are going to sort this out since Shoma and Nathan are not supposed to be in the same GP.  However, I do believe there are some leeways n loopholes so they can put the 2 together.  They have done it before with Yuzu n Takahashi in 2012. Maybe they will do the same with Shoma n Nathan this time too?  

Another option is yuzu gets SA/NHK, so shoma gets SC/NHK, and they willl only meet each other in NHK which is still better then competing 2 times in a row together.  But we don't know if the US Fed wants to invite yuzu at all 

1 hour ago, dzuo1015 said:

Yuzu is most certainly going to get NHK, no doubt about that.  NHK/IDF is also just under 2 weeks apart, same scheduling as SC/NHK, so I think SC/NHK is more possible?

The problem with this is that Shoma has to either do SC/NHK as well or do NHK+new GP which is very hard -- back to back AND different continents. So either Shoma also does SC/NHK or Yuzu can't do SC/NHK.

1 hour ago, dzuo1015 said:

Yuzu is most certainly going to get NHK, no doubt about that.  NHK/IDF is also just under 2 weeks apart, same scheduling as SC/NHK, so I think SC/NHK is more possible?  SC is more convenient and certainly no jetlegg for him, and NHK is almost 4 weeks before GPF which gives him plenty of time to train and make adjustments to the programs.  The only problem is where to put Shoma, Shoma can also do both SC/NHK but I don't think JSF would want the top 2 contenders in the same GP 2 times in a row.  

Good point! Seems like it'll boil down to NHK/SC or NHK/IdF.

I agree, I think Shouma is difficult to figure out :/ But if Nathan picks SA/IdF, then the only combo that would make sense for Shouma is SC/NHK, in which case Yuzu would end up with NHK/IdF.

I can't really see Nathan getting anything other than IdF, unless he gets NHK (doubtful) or the new GP (even more doubtful).

My money is still on IdF :dancingpooh:

I still find its unlikely Yuzuru would do NHK + IDF. That's mean he might have 4 comps and travel across 3 continents in 7 weeks ( Canada-Japan-France-Canada-Japan). Its sound like a recipe for disaster :slinkaway:

My guess is still SC + IDF 

unlikely Shoma will go for back to back GP, iirc he prefers to get to the location a few days before practices for the event start so he can adjust and get over jet lag... he would have no time to do so

tbh SC/NHK would be the best combo for Yuzu, but he won't be given first choice this time, and not even second or third:Poohgaveup:

While I'd like for him to go to IdF (and I'm praying that if it happens I'll be fast enough to grab those tickets) I'm kinda scared the french ice could screw his jumps or screw him altogether, and so close to the final too:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:and I'd be super-pissed if french fed presented him with another cardboard medal or a plastic whatever and same recycled podiums...

10 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

unlikely Shoma will go for back to back GP, iirc he prefers to get to the location a few days before practices for the event start so he can adjust and get over jet lag... he would have no time to do so

tbh SC/NHK would be the best combo for Yuzu, but he won't be given first choice this time, and not even second or third:Poohgaveup:

While I'd like for him to go to IdF (and I'm praying that if it happens I'll be fast enough to grab those tickets) I'm kinda scared the french ice could screw his jumps or screw him altogether, and so close to the final too:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:and I'd be super-pissed if french fed presented him with another cardboard medal or a plastic whatever and same recycled podiums...

Nah, they're going to bring back the dumb looking plastic stars, disco podium and no flags for the skaters :/ I'm still crying over the cardboard GPF "medals" #neverforget

And I think it'll stay that way until they do an overhaul in the French federation. There has to be a slush fund somewhere 

If the new GP had been in Korea, I could see Shoma do it and NHK back to back, since it's the same timezone and little travel time. That would allow Yuzu to do SC. But if the new GP is coming to Europe instead, then Shoma is definitely doing SC and NHK, which means Yuzu either doesn't do NHK or does NHK and IdF. Either way, he's going to face Shoma and Nathan at least once. 

Unless JSF decides to throw them both at the same GPs and they both do SC and NHK. 

On 6/23/2018 at 10:14 AM, xeyra said:

Unless JSF decides to throw them both at the same GPs and they both do SC and NHK. 

A part of me would like that but I don't think that either party there would enjoy a double meeting.

I think it more likely Zu gets Shoma and Nathan, for NHK and IdF respectively, for his GPs.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, Yatagarasu said:

When CoC withdrew, the first alternate was S. Korea and the second Milano if Korea couldn't do it.

And from the rumors going around, it might actually be Milano. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

I think it more likely Zu gets Shoma and Nathan, for NHK and IdF respectively, for his GPs.

So what are the chances of Yuzuru going to either IdF or Milano CoC? Can I die already? 

Edit: sorry for the doublepost :headdesk:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

So what are the chances of Yuzuru going to either IdF or Milano CoC? Can I die already? 

Edit: sorry for the doublepost :headdesk:

Great question. If he ends up going to CoC Milano instead of IdF I will drown myself because I have tickets for IdF and Milano is much closer to me than Grenoble!

Just now, narin said:

Great question. If he ends up going to CoC Milano instead of IdF I will drown myself because I have tickets for IdF and Milano is much closer to me than Grenoble!

I will... definitely end up sending application to be a volunteer if he comes to Milano, I can't... even imagine. I used to see each and every skater up close during Milano Worlds. I literally crossed paths with everyone, got a photo with four of them, made Shoma laugh, got a wink from Kolyada, chatted amiably with Stephane and Deniss... if... Yuzu comes to Milano... I can die basically thx 

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

I will... definitely end up sending application to be a volunteer if he comes to Milano, I can't... even imagine. I used to see each and every skater up close during Milano Worlds. I literally crossed paths with everyone, got a photo with four of them, made Shoma laugh, got a wink from Kolyada, chatted amiably with Stephane and Deniss... if... Yuzu comes to Milano... I can die basically thx 

How does volunteering work? I assume you have to be a skater for that?