Proposed changes for next season

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

The ISU has now posted a communication with the changed rules as approved by the June Congress, as well as a revised SoV for the 2018/2019 season.

https://www.isu.org/news/80-inside-figure-skating-news/12120-2176-figure-skating-changes-57th-isu-congress?templateParam=15

Special Regulations and Technical Rules accepted by the 57th ISU Congress for Single & Pair Skating: ISU Communication 2176

Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking Grade of Execution, season 2018/19: ISU Communication 2168 (Revised)

I think I'll need time to go through these...:birgits-tired-coffee-smiley-face:

We have 1Eu, and BV for that...also BV for an underrotated euler? :6a6943826e43:

3 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I think I'll need time to go through these...:birgits-tired-coffee-smiley-face:

We have 1Eu, and BV for that...also BV for an underrotated euler? :6a6943826e43:

I think I'll keep reading that Eu as Europe for a while :facepalm:

it's funny how they decided a poor connecting jump in 3-jumps combo deserved urgent clarification, to the point they gave it its own notation, while most of the really important rules are a mess and couldn't get more vague (ISU, this is not a challenge, plz) :headdesk2:

but yeah, after the whole discussion about the merit of CD vs USBsticks and what means "skating to music" I'm not even surprised

crazy thought: this notation paves the way to future addition of 2Eu and 3Eu and so on :P I mean, for now the Euler is still listed element only when used for the combo, but still, it's now less unlisted than other "unlisted jumps"...who knows what will happen:xD:

.... unless the landing foot will become as 'controversial' as steps before a jump & calls for wrong edge on takeoff... then all of ISU's hard work to differentiate between Lo and Eu would be useless... :laughing::13877886:

interesting that for Stsq, Chsq and Spins there are also the 3 required bullets to hit before awarding >3 GOE, with element matched to the music a required bullet for both steps and ChSq + effortless with energy and flow for steps and creativity for ChSq.... tho with how GOE have been awarded in the past, I suppose it won't make much difference for top skaters anyway...

Somewhat OT, but I've been wondering why ISU changed the definition of jump sequences... it would have made sense if they also changed the scoring (to be like combination jumps at least, and get full points), but from what I understand, that's not the case. They only changed what counts as a jump sequence, right?

I've seen discussion about combo allowed with first jump landed on LBI (for counter-clockwise skaters), so basically chance to do for example a 3A3S without using the Lo Eu as connecting jump (and I've see on twitter the 3Lz3F). Is this something in the new rules that I've missed or was it already allowed before but I've never paid attention because nobody (or only a few) do this?

And if it's new, where it is? I've given a cursory read at two of the new ISU documents and I haven't found a reference, and I don't feel like going through the whole thread on the other place...

I guess it's hard to have a stable landing on LBI tho, or stable enough to get a reliable combo with worthy GOE. Of course it could be trained and there would be many more chances for layouts...

• Yatagarasu unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, Old Cat Lady said:

I recall from some articles from the way back machine that Alexander Fadeev once wore sheer white tights with just a dance belt underneath and Brian Boitano wore tights with a clear VPL .  The P does not stand for panty in this case.

And of course, there is the long history of trying to butch up figure skating.

But it's a pretty silly rule.  Hanyu's UA is pretty much tights and while purple LGC was technically not tights, I would say it was more revealing than Yuzu's practice gear.

As for the other new rules, most of them seem ideal for Yuzu.  He can pretty much just do his original planned 2018 layout, drop his worst triple, makes 3 axel more important, he already does his combos in the back half so he won't have to adjust, cuts Nathan's tech advantage significantly, while more potential reward with GOE.  When was the last time Nathan even landed 4 loop?  Does he still practice it?  If he doesn't get it back while Yuzu gets all his quads back, Yuzu and Nathan will have similar BV.

There's a lot of potential to hammer Shoma with the GOE's.   If actually applied, I think Shoma and Nathan are hit pretty hard by new rules.

I am disappointed at how they're restructuring GOE's though.  Yuzu doesn't have nearly the advantage that I thought he would - looks like in new system +4/+5 are easier to get than +3 in old system while taking away advantage for doing difficult exits and delayed rotation/varied air position

Hello! Sorry this message is a while ago, but I was looking through this forum because I don't quite understand the new GOE system. How does the new system take away the advantage for doing difficult exits/delayed rotation/varied air position and how is a +5 easier to get than a +3 in the old system? 

6 minutes ago, chiachium said:

Hello! Sorry this message is a while ago, but I was looking through this forum because I don't quite understand the new GOE system. How does the new system take away the advantage for doing difficult exits/delayed rotation/varied air position and how is a +5 easier to get than a +3 in the old system? 

I think I wrote this before the rule changes were finalized or before I saw all the details - I remember griping that there weren't as many GOE bullets required and thought they were overly vague.  As far as taking away the advantage of the exits/delayed rotation/and air position,  it took away the positive bullets for those specific aspects while, at the time, I thought it required less to get higher scores.

Actually, now that I see the final version of the system, +5 is much more difficult to get than +3 because of the requirement for the core elements.

on paper, yes, it does look harder. For example, Zhenya's jumps (or one could speculate, many tano ladies' jumps with transitions in and out) probably wouldn't clear bullet very good height&distance and she'd be capped at +3 despite all other positive features... (btw, her 3Lo hasn't even ever got all +3 under old rules, so weird...if any of her jumps deserved full goe without question, those would be her 3Lo and 3S...)

In general,  I think the new rules give more weight to basic technique and cleanliness.

Things like transitions in/out and arm variations are being treated more as some choreographic afterthought. I can see why they'd go for clean big jumps, but imo they kinda forgot jumping out of steps requires skills too, other than making jumps merge better in the choreo for 'artistic' purpose.

If they're really gonna reward clean, good technique I'll be happy and consider these rules as ISU trying to push skaters to get good jumps firstthen go and add all kind of transitions (pretty much what Yuzuru did, making his jumps solid first and then adding difficulty, matching his jumps to his ideal as his technical skills improved)... opposite to the current trend of just learning to rotate fast, get the rotations for the BV, maybe huge PR too, so they can land unimpressive 'jumps' consistently and rely on everything else to make the element 'look good' (and score well).

But I fear it will only mean boring jumps are gonna be over-rewarded. Rn the reward of adding transitions to a jump has shrinked from 3 bullets to 1 (not one of the relevant ones), arm variations and delay have disappeared and kinda  (maybe) put in a very unclear bullet, matching music apparently means just hit some strong music cue rather than enhancing the music structure in a meaningful way, and requirement to show mastery in jumping out of steps was deleted from SP. Overall, now skaters have very little to gain in trying to make jumps part of the choreo. One could say it would still ve rewarded in PC,  but would it?:shrug:

We'll see how things will go. I think judges will be cautious at first, but I'm fully expecting to see +5 thrown out at some favourites by the end of this quad (more so if ISU is really going for a drastic change in the format of SP and FS after 2022). This because 1) bullets themselves are unclear and 2) those are, as Bianchetti kindly reminds us, guidelines