Proposed changes for next season

I've just read a GOE bullet point for jumps comparison on other forum

Old bullets:

1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
2) clear recognizable (creative, interesting, original for jump preceded by steps/movements of
the Short Program) steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) good height and distance
5) good extension on landing / creative exit
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure

New bullets:
1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence)
2) good take-off and landing
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination)
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry
5) very good body position from take-off to landing
6) element matches the music

Well, it would be interesting to see what they mean by very good height and very good length...

very good body position from take-off to landing - don't get what's that about, if jump has good height, length and landing I don't know how it can have bad body position o_O

I'm sad to see good extension on landing to go though

And does new bullets mean that tano and rippons will not have extra points? (I'm actually OK with it and think they must be used only if match the music) Or does it will count in very good body position?

It's not like I think judges will judge by rules but still...

I feel like I'll be able to check ladies protocols only after emptying a bar :10640793:

On 6/8/2018 at 12:04 PM, hoodie axel said:

Shekhovtsova made it again.

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

ETA: Like with a bad soap opera that has too many twists and turns, the real outcome is better: She didn't make it again.

That was fun!

First the British candidate won by only one vote (I guess it was 43:42) against Alla, then it was a tie between her and Hungarian Elek (44:44) and then in the final round, Elek beat her. It was a real drama :laughing:

Anyway, here are all the results of today's elections and the full list of the ISU Office Holders:

https://www.isu.org/news/145-news/12112-election-results?templateParam=15 

15 hours ago, Lunna said:

Well, it would be interesting to see what they mean by very good height and very good length...

very good body position from take-off to landing - don't get what's that about, if jump has good height, length and landing I don't know how it can have bad body position o_O

And does new bullets mean that tano and rippons will not have extra points? (I'm actually OK with it and think they must be used only if match the music) Or does it will count in very good body position?

I feel like I'll be able to check ladies protocols only after emptying a bar :10640793:

I think the whole point of them problem is that these are just guidelines, general recommendations, and they are not real rules...that's why it's not possible to enforce them if they are just recommendations. Judges can interpret them differently and this is the reason why they are unclear and not clearly defined. Some judges may find an element 'good', some may think it's not just good, but 'very good'. We'll see how things will go, but I think scoring GOE's will remain a playground.

I think tano/rippon will count to the very good body position criteria.

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

Whatever they feel like at the moment, ie which skater is on the ice tbh. It's all super vague, and it's hardly the only thing with their should-s and undefined this and that. So business as usual.

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

New bullets:

New bullets in some judges' head:

1) It's a quad! It's big!
2) Didn't fall
3) It's a quad! 
4) What step? I didn't see any step
5) Wow! It's a quad!
6) Skater does something cool when he lands 

"Guidelines"  - did anyone see Pirates of the Caribbean?  Because that's what I think every time I see the word, especially in relation to sports authorities.

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

I've just read a GOE bullet point for jumps comparison on other forum

Old bullets:

1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
2) clear recognizable (creative, interesting, original for jump preceded by steps/movements of
the Short Program) steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) good height and distance
5) good extension on landing / creative exit
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure

New bullets:

lmao as if application of the GOE bullet points has always been super subjective and straight forward and not subject to bias, at all, they introduce a nuance between just “good“ and “very good“. It seems so pointless and naive. I had the impression ISU was already aware of how incompetent their judges are, what with how that they can’t tell steps before jumps apart, so they can’t seriously be expecting judges to know what to do with this distinction? 

This whole ISU Congress has just proven to me how incompetent some of the officials, and especially the judges are. it's also proven to me that no one seems to hate the sport more than the officials overseeing the sport :sadPooh:

I won't lie, some of what happened at the Congress genuinely upset me for one reason or another. Like, they can talk for 20-30 minutes about what qualifies as music and about how outdated a flashdrive is while defending the CD but no one will say anything when that confusing AF technical proposal bundle that has the potential to make or break the sport hit the voting table. 

Screen_Shot_2018-06-08_at_1.47.30_AM.png

I truly feel like this is the best representation of what the world of figure skating looks like. 

On 6/7/2018 at 8:47 AM, WinForPooh said:

I don't understand why there was a rule that men couldn't wear tights at all. I mean... Let everybody wear whatever they want and if it doesn't suit the programme, let that come out of In or something.

I recall from some articles from the way back machine that Alexander Fadeev once wore sheer white tights with just a dance belt underneath and Brian Boitano wore tights with a clear VPL .  The P does not stand for panty in this case.

And of course, there is the long history of trying to butch up figure skating.

But it's a pretty silly rule.  Hanyu's UA is pretty much tights and while purple LGC was technically not tights, I would say it was more revealing than Yuzu's practice gear.

As for the other new rules, most of them seem ideal for Yuzu.  He can pretty much just do his original planned 2018 layout, drop his worst triple, makes 3 axel more important, he already does his combos in the back half so he won't have to adjust, cuts Nathan's tech advantage significantly, while more potential reward with GOE.  When was the last time Nathan even landed 4 loop?  Does he still practice it?  If he doesn't get it back while Yuzu gets all his quads back, Yuzu and Nathan will have similar BV.

There's a lot of potential to hammer Shoma with the GOE's.   If actually applied, I think Shoma and Nathan are hit pretty hard by new rules.

I am disappointed at how they're restructuring GOE's though.  Yuzu doesn't have nearly the advantage that I thought he would - looks like in new system +4/+5 are easier to get than +3 in old system while taking away advantage for doing difficult exits and delayed rotation/varied air position

17 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

If actually applied, I think Shoma and Nathan are hit pretty hard by new rules.

Does anyone believe they’re actually going to apply their own rules, though? I do not think Nathan or Shoma will be penalized no matter the rules we end up with 

2 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

What's a "serious error"? Place of birth, I'm assuming.

Yes, that would be correct.

Place of birth is also "something special" that you need for a 10 in PCS.

Smashing, isn't it?