Proposed changes for next season

Just now, Neenah said:

The biggest problem with the ISU is the lack of flexibility. There were some good proposals that were rejected just because of the wording (like the usp stick proposal), which could have been amended slightly and passed based on the discussions happening :shrug:

Also, I don't understand the fans of FS at all. Why all the outrage about the backloading rule change (when it is just a bonus added for a reason and now scaled back because it is being abused) while the biggest issue of rejecting proposals about preventing conflict of interest and national bais are barely mentioned:smiley_hairpull:

We all know that judging is the biggest problem in FS right now and that is where our and the the ISU's focus should be.Yet, we are spending all our time and energy discussing the backloading rule, which really is not that important since good skaters will still be successful with the new system as they did with the old (unless backloading is the only thing they are good at, then they need to work on improving other areas, which is a good thing IMO) 

I think it's because sadly, we're already a bit accepting corruption and bias as par for the course. Which is...sad. =/

1 minute ago, Neenah said:

The biggest problem with the ISU is the lack of flexibility. There were some good proposals that were rejected just because of the wording (like the usp stick proposal), which could have been amended slightly and passed based on the discussions happening :shrug:

Also, I don't understand the fans of FS at all. Why all the outrage about the backloading rule change (when it is just a bonus added for a reason and now scaled back because it is being abused) while the biggest issue of rejecting proposals about preventing conflict of interest and national bais are barely mentioned:smiley_hairpull:. 

We all know that judging is the biggest problem in FS right now and that is where our and the the ISU's focus should be.Yet, we are spending all our time and energy discussing the backloading rule, which really is not that important since good skaters will still be successful with the new system as they did with the old (unless backloading is the only thing they are good at, then they need to work on improving other areas, which is a good thing IMO) 

I can only speak for myself but I never even hoped any of those proposals would pass. The intention or motivation to improve biased judging doesn’t really exist :shrug:

And seeing the proceedings at this congress doesn’t really give me much hope either. I haven’t really watched much of it but I saw how the age limit proposal was voted off the agenda just like that without any reasoning. 4/5 majority, my ass. 

Well we have had a few comments about the root of the problem being the bias and conflict of interest on the judging panels, one of them from me pages ago and probably on a different thread but it is so entrenched, of such long standing that I for one stopped talking about it.  Any of these systems could work if the judges applied them properly.  I think I've said before - it's applying a coat of paint to an old car when what it really needs is a new engine.

4 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Also, I don't understand the fans of FS at all. Why all the outrage about the backloading rule change (when it is just a bonus added for a reason and now scaled back because it is being abused) while the biggest issue of rejecting proposals about preventing conflict of interest and national bais are barely mentioned

Because we simply cannot prevent it. 

1) ISU doesn’t want to limit national bias. I was shocked to know that SC president was on the panel of ice dance at Olympics. I mean, could there be a bigger conflict of interest than this? Yet they allowed it.

2) After all this sport is just a political game. P/C outscored V/M in PCS for their messy short dance more or less showed that there is no actual judging at all. Especially when the conterders are from big feds and consistently have good results. We have seen Zhenya, Alina breaking records left and right even when they did not perform better than their previous record-breaking performance. We also see japanese ladies struggle to have new personal best despite having actual improvements. Everything has been arranged under the table. I won’t be surprised if in next quad, russian ladies still dominate 1-2 at most of the competitions, with top korean/japanese lady get into 2nd/3rd if they are lucky. The 3rd russian lady will likely be sacrificed because ISU doesn’t like podium sweep. 

3) National bias is not always a thing. Look at this:

the Japanse judge is a prime example of domestic conflict of interest. Wouldn’t be surprised if he/she is from Nagoya 🙄 

2 hours ago, Xen said:

They don't understand digital formats of music, but they probably understand this thing called "twitter" and "mobile phones" -so for ultimate financial savings, all skaters will be required to submit their SNS for e-medals.

Then the ISU realizes they cannot agree on the media format of the e-medal and engages in an investigation into the relative merits of JPG format, versus TGA format, versus moving GIF formats and maybe TIFF formats, afterwards someone will get into the issue about copyrights and IP protection for the PSD files used in medal creation. There will be concerns about lawsuits regarding font type usage and whether the stock fonts with photoshop will be permissable.

They then run into problems when the CHN fed mentions that VPNs are not legally allowed in China, hence twitter usage becomes a problem, and all skaters need to have a weibo or wechat account to circumvent the fact twitter is banned in China, so CoC is an issue. Someone suggests that CoC is stopped, and instead becomes Cup of Asia, which creates problems as the chinese fed kindly reminds everyone where 2022 will be held.

Yuzu misses his e-medal by refusing to get an actual SNS account.

LOL I had joked about that in the very bold predictions thread  last year 

On 9/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, LadyLou said:

At the event all the medalists receive virtual medals via twitter, because the Italian Fed forgot to prepare the real ones. Yuzuru doesn't have twitter so he is left sulking in a corner.

I'm laughing really hard now, it doesn't sound that crazy anymore :headdesk:

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

Also, I don't understand the fans of FS at all. Why all the outrage about the backloading rule change (when it is just a bonus added for a reason and now scaled back because it is being abused) while the biggest issue of rejecting proposals about preventing conflict of interest and national bais are barely mentioned:smiley_hairpull:

Probably because no one believed they would really do something about that :unsure2:ISU has this habit of letting the true urgent matters fester for decades while the backloading thing was something that had a reasonable chance to go both ways... (kind of a 'let's make the best of what we have', and BV from backloading is one of the few things judges can't take away from skaters)

57 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Well we have had a few comments about the root of the problem being the bias and conflict of interest on the judging panels, one of them from me pages ago and probably on a different thread but it is so entrenched, of such long standing that I for one stopped talking about it.  Any of these systems could work if the judges applied them properly.  I think I've said before - it's applying a coat of paint to an old car when what it really needs is a new engine.

This

ISU keeps changing everything but the root of most problems, the human element in the judging. They won't even try and make everything they can to allow good judging for judges who genuinely want to do that, like having split panels or giving judges more time to score or providing the tech panels with some decent 21st century equipment...but hey,  if they don't get how USB sticks work I'm not surprised they have never heard of 4K video or 3D cam:crazyshit:

Anyway,  one possible good thing if the no quad rep pass: less chance of +REP in Men's protocols :tumblr_inline_mn41rcGFcT1qz4rgp: 

but still I don't like that it would reduce the possible layouts man can do... strategies like going for good goe quads instead of high BV quads, are now not only discouraged but outright DENIED to the skaters and it happens in the free, where skaters are supposed to have more choices and express themselves more freely. This while in SP, supposed to be the more technical segment with strict rules, they are taking away a technical requirement (prove you can jump out of steps)...

lmao, Norway wants to make a rule that officials shouldn't openly show on social media who they cheer for or post pictures with skaters and stuff.

Some guy, paraphrased: we already have addressed this issue in the code of ethics and should just apply the rules

Come oooon, get with the program :smiley-laughing021: since when is the ISU in the habit of applying their rules? What did they put in that coffee? 

1 minute ago, Pamigena said:

hahaha, and now Lakernik basically goes "if we put it in the rule book then we'll have to actually follow that rule" :rofl: I can't

Wow, do they actually do that?

6 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

lmao, Norway wants to make a rule that officials shouldn't openly show on social media who they cheer for or post pictures with skaters and stuff.

Some guy, paraphrased: we already have addressed this issue in the code of ethics and should just apply the rules

Come oooon, get with the program :smiley-laughing021: since when is the ISU in the habit of applying their rules? What did they put in that coffee? 

who said it was only coffee?:dancingpooh:

albany-distilling-company-death-wish-coffee-vodka-new-york-usa-10833188.jpg

(x)

28 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Cool, so sexy ballet arms = SS, TR, PE, CO, and IN

wait, what have I missed?