Proposed changes for next season

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

I actually think the no-quad-repetition rule might benefit Yuzu. It will pribably force him to go back to 4Lz and this one

I honestly think that Yuzu would benefit from it. Mainly because he doesn't rely on quantity of jumps, but quality. I mean Oly gold with just 4T and 4S should be enough to see that :smiley-laughing021:I would imagine Nathan will suffer from it though, since it seems like BV alone won't be enough to give him and edge anymore.

1 minute ago, MajaHled said:

I honestly think that Yuzu would benefit from it. Mainly because he doesn't rely on quantity of jumps, but quality. I mean Oly gold with just 4T and 4S should be enough to see that :smiley-laughing021:I would imagine Nathan will suffer from it though, since it seems like BV alone won't be enough to give him and edge anymore.

Lol, I hit the submit button by mistake way too early, I have a long-winded explanation after it.

It is not about who benefits but about who is harmed by it, I just don't think it is fair to limit the options for the skaters. Yes, skaters with multiple quad types can have more in their programs but this is a best case scenario. During this past season we have seen Yuzu, Nathan, Shoma, and Boyang all drop a quad that was causing them trouble (usually due to injury) and the managed to stay competitive (and win Olympics gold) by being able to switch things around and change their layouts. Everytime I see this suggestion my mind goes straight to the terrifying idea of Yuzu forcing himself to go for the 4Lz and 4L to have a chance at the Olympics and the disaster that would have been (for the performance and his ankle)

It is okay to encourage skaters to learn new things but it is never okay to push them into a corner were they would be forced to chose something that may cause them harm. It is easy for us to say drop this or that jump and to prioritize health when discussing these situations but for the skaters, this is their life's work and ambition and it is very hard to drop something you've worked so hard for.

22 minutes ago, Neenah said:

It is not about who benefits but about who is harmed by it, I just don't think it is fair to limit the options for the skaters. Yes, skaters with multiple quad types can have more in their programs but this is a best case scenario. During this past season we have seen Yuzu, Nathan, Shoma, and Boyang all drop a quad that was causing them trouble (usually due to injury) and the managed to stay competitive (and win Olympics gold) by being able to switch things around and change their layouts. Everytime I see this suggestion my mind goes straight to the terrifying idea of Yuzu forcing himself to go for the 4Lz and 4L to have a chance at the Olympics and the disaster that would have been (for the performance and his ankle)

It is okay to encourage skaters to learn new things but it is never okay to push them into a corner were they would be forced to chose something that may cause them harm. It is easy for us to say drop this or that jump and to prioritize health when discussing these situations but for the skaters, this is their life's work and ambition and it is very hard to drop something you've worked so hard for.

Yep, that rule would fuel the quad race even more. And pointedly, establish the 4T and 4S as the gatekeeper quads for the senior men. 

Anyways, reposting an old set of hypos here:

Let's see how many more hypos need to be tested.

11 часов назад, MajaHled сказал:

Well, no matter who benefits from it, I still think no quad repetition is a bad bad idea :shrug:

I agree. It's not like there's now a big line of guys ready to jump many type of quads... And I prefer good 4T/4S any day to poor 4F/4Lz

About GOE change. I'm OK if a fallen quad will cost less than good triple but about +5 GOE Idk... too much room for manipulating with the scores. I was pleasantly surprised when Nathan's score didn't go through the roof in the WC SP and Mika with one quad got almost the same scores (and rightfully so if you compare the quality). So you can reward quality with nowadays system if you want. It's not the system that makes the final score it's the judges.

Just now, Xen said:

No Lombardia this season? Did the scores freak out even the ISU last time?

You took the words right out of my mouth. Or fingertips, as they are.:winky:

ETA: but in the same breath, could Autumn Classics be in 'to be agreed upon' because of Zu's WR? But I mean, it was legit WR, tho.

11 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Or fingertips, as they are.:winky:

ETA: but in the same breath, could Autumn Classics be in 'to be agreed upon' because of Zu's WR? But I mean, it was legit WR, tho.

Hmm, not really. I think ACI would probably still remain, it's been held for several years.  It's just an issue of whether US will fight for that spot.

There are 9 Challengers and the communication mentions only the core 5 (one to be selected from either US Classic or ACI). Others like Lombardia will have to apply for Challenger status.

10 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

Why is that?

My guess is "age" of the competitions.

Nebelhorn has been here since 1969 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebelhorn_Trophy).

Golden Spin of Zagreb since 1967 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Spin_of_Zagreb).

Rest such as Finlandia, Ondrej Nepala have been with the GP series since early 1990's, while others such as ACI, US Classic etc listed in the Challenger Series wikipedia page, are all post 2008. For ACI/US Classic, I guess it's to balance out how all the other Challenger cup series are in Europe.

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

My guess is "age" of the competitions.

Nebelhorn has been here since 1969 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebelhorn_Trophy).

Golden Spin of Zagreb since 1967 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Spin_of_Zagreb).

Rest such as Finlandia, Ondrej Nepala have been with the GP series since early 1990's, while others such as ACI, US Classic etc listed in the Challenger Series wikipedia page, are all post 2008. For ACI/US Classic, I guess it's to balance out how all the other Challenger cup series are in Europe.

That seems kinda stupid and pointless

• 4 weeks later...

And here we go!

Headache x 10

https://www.isu.org/communications/17037-isu-communication-2156/file

Proposed changes that will be discussed at the Congress. IDEK where to start with this mess tbh.

I think my fave idiocy so far is compulsory steps before solo jumps in SP removed because they are already counted in GOE so it's "controversial" to count steps as a requirement.