Proposed changes for next season

I figured we might as well have a separate thread for this, as the first proposals are coming out.

ID technical committee had their meeting in Milano during the Worlds and there is a major uh oh in the works. 

"For Season 2018/19 the specific focus to evaluate the overall Free Dance is Entertainment.

To receive the bonus the Free Dance must be:

Enjoyable/engaging/colourful overall DANCE program."

So we are getting Themes per season apparently. In the Free Dance :facepalm:

Some other stuff

New Pattern dances for Seniors 

Tea Time Foxtrot, Maple Leaf March, Rhumba D'Amor

GOE will be +5 to -5.
GOE -5/-4 is for fall by both partners or serious error although final GOE only has to be lower than -3 (may add the Positive GOE).
In order to receive GOE +4/+5 you must have no negative features as defined and 7-8 positive features, execution is correct, no falls/stumbles/loss of balance and element is in musical structure.

5 level of difficulty on all elements - additional basic level
Free Dance Entertainment bonus - program meets the guidelines of the FD for the season.
for next season its colorful/enjoyable. majority + ref required - goes between +1,0,-1;

There is a YT video if anyone wants to watch

Spoiler

Well, Vivaldi, Händel and sometimes Bach wrote music specifically for entertainment.

Some courageous  couple should  do it and pop their bubble that they know anything about music.

Or...could it be they mean entertain ment as in North American showbiz?? 

( bitter laugh) 

....I'm seriously worried I might see the ice dance version of Candyman after reading that description. :2:

Jokes aside, is it just me who finds the "theme" guidelines' existence just mildly insulting to ice dancers? I mean, heaven forbid ice dancers have some input on how they view themselves as artists. Now instead of being dramatic, they have to be "dramatic" but  also entertainingly "Enjoyable-engaging-colourful." Talk about defining your own vision of what ice dance means. 

For those curious- check out this link about the  new patterns: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/reference/pattern-dance-descriptions-patterns/rhumba-damor-under-development-by-isu/

Maple Leaf March: adapted from a partial sequence from Poirier and Gilles

Rhumba d’Amor: based on something from Torville and Dean

Tea Time Foxtrot: created by Natalia KALISZEK and Maksim SPODIREV 

Now I'm curious as to what those patterns look like, google didn't give me any actual steps patterns images. 

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

....I'm seriously worried I might see the ice dance version of Candyman after reading that description. 

Negl, that is exactly where my brain went too.

But apparently, after being asked to clarify that very point (sans the Candyman mention) entertainment means how engaged the audience, and the judges are, etc. You can entertain with a sad story and then the involvement of the audience/judges is the measure of it.

They did invite the coaches to provide their input there, or contact them.

The whole how engaged the audience, nvm the judges, is really ambiguous though. It's moving ID even further from the definition of a sport. I am legit not sure how that  works.

The +4/5 thing is interesting though, as it might give us a clue about how that'll go for singles too.

1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

Negl, that is exactly where my brain went too.

But apparently, after being asked to clarify that very point (sans the Candyman mention) entertainment means how engaged the audience, and the judges are, etc. You can entertain with a sad story and then the involvement of the audience/judges is the measure of it.

They did invite the coaches to provide their input there, or contact them.

The whole how engaged the audience, nvm the judges, is really ambiguous though. It's moving ID even further from the definition of a sport. I am legit not sure how that  works.

The +4/5 thing is interesting though, as it might give us a clue about how that'll go for singles too.

You mean this bit? 

"In order to receive GOE +4/+5 you must have no negative features as defined and 7-8 positive features, execution is correct, no falls/stumbles/loss of balance and element is in musical structure." 

If applied to singles, the ISU must do something and address pre-rotation issues, and tech panels must really call edges and URs consistently. 

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

You mean this bit? 

"In order to receive GOE +4/+5 you must have no negative features as defined and 7-8 positive features, execution is correct, no falls/stumbles/loss of balance and element is in musical structure." 

If applied to singles, the ISU must do something and address pre-rotation issues, and tech panels must really call edges and URs consistently. 

Yup, that exactly. 

Right? That occurred to me too. There have been so many complaints about the jumps lately, from PR to URs to correct edges that it seriously makes me wonder.

6 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yup, that exactly. 

Right? That occurred to me too. There have been so many complaints about the jumps lately, from PR to URs to correct edges that it seriously makes me wonder.

Well here's to hope...but honestly I'm not that hopeful. I'm more curious if they will ever manage to give uniform guidelines on PCs. That's the thing-the nice part of IJS is that PCs for skaters should be able to reflect what they objectively showed on ice, not how they did relative to others (which is ordinals system), but so far the PCs are being used as ordinals, which sucks. 

Just now, Xen said:

Well here's to hope...but honestly I'm not that hopeful. I'm more curious if they will ever manage to give uniform guidelines on PCs. That's the thing-the nice part of IJS is that PCs for skaters should be able to reflect what they objectively showed on ice, not how they did relative to others (which is ordinals system), but so far the PCs are being used as ordinals, which sucks. 

Tbh I doubt that. I mean if we look at ID, the measure of engagement of the audience/judges is how involved they are, applause etc. Talk about ambiguous. Somehow it doesn't bode well for them clarifying anything. 

3 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Tbh I doubt that. I mean if we look at ID, the measure of engagement of the audience/judges is how involved they are, applause etc. Talk about ambiguous. Somehow it doesn't bode well for them clarifying anything. 

Ugh, no it doesn't.

Well if they want engagement, I guess I'll just bring a jumbotron speaker to an ice dance competition,  and use it to ensure my teams get the engagement score. 

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Ugh, no it doesn't.

Well if they want engagement, I guess I'll just bring a jumbotron speaker to an ice dance competition,  and use it to ensure my teams get the engagement score. 

How do you show you're engaged with a sad/slow program though? The mind boggles :13877886:

Seriously, sigh. 

And of course, there's a deduction for not having this, so honestly, talk about a head-ache in the making.

14 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

maybe they'll count the people that are crying in the audience

Then Helsinki's Hope and Legacy should have had a perfect 10, everybody was crying, even Ambesi from the studio LOL