9 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

He's very heavy somehow. He's a tiny guy. It's so confusing.

Well hey, at least they moved from ballet right?  Hopefully we won't have a !surprise ballet piece creep up on us. 

Actually if we have to split hairs, I think he is just a tad faster than last season, just a tad. And for me, other than that, it's a skating skills issue, it's not so much his moves look "heavy" to me, they just don't look as "delicate" or "quick" like Jin or Yuzu. He's more the traditional NA school style IMO, where the movements are held out longer and looks more languid, but he doesn't have quite the control or mastery like Chan yet, so it looks more "heavy" than "smooth." Wonder if this makes sense? 

23 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well hey, at least they moved from ballet right?  Hopefully we won't have a !surprise ballet piece creep up on us. 

Actually if we have to split hairs, I think he is just a tad faster than last season, just a tad. And for me, other than that, it's a skating skills issue, it's not so much his moves look "heavy" to me, they just don't look as "delicate" or "quick" like Jin or Yuzu. He's more the traditional NA school style IMO, where the movements are held out longer and looks more languid, but he doesn't have quite the control or mastery like Chan yet, so it looks more "heavy" than "smooth." Wonder if this makes sense? 

What if it turns out to be balletic hip-hop?

Well, yes. The NA style for men does seem to focus on more of edging, and "strength". He doesn't have Chan's skills, but I'd still describe him as heavy: his weight-transfer is off, and his balance is lacking, leading to (relatively) poor flow and speed, and also makes him look clunky.

(ETA: LOL, realized you said the same thing in a different way. Yeah, it's the control of his weight and balance.)

10 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Well, yes. The NA style for men does seem to focus on more of edging, and "strength". He doesn't have Chan's skills, but I'd still describe him as heavy: his weight-transfer is off, and his balance is lacking, leading to (relatively) poor flow and speed, and also makes him look clunky.

(ETA: LOL, realized you said the same thing in a different way. Yeah, it's the control of his weight and balance.)

Honestly, Nate would do balletic hip-hop better than mao's last dancer. He needs a piece that actually challenges him to do the snappy/intensity schtuff that we normally associate with Shoma.

His weight transfer isn't really off, and his balance isn't that bad. But I would say he's not as precise and quick as say Yuzu, or shoma or even boyang (though Boyang is more quick than 100% precise). I'd have to figure out how to slow-mo and do frame by frame analysis, but his blade usage isn't  that off. He can be precise, but it's just not able to match the quick precision that would help him smooth out his skating as say Chan or Yuzu. 

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

But I would say he's not as precise and quick as say Yuzu, or shoma or even boyang (though Boyang is more quick than 100% precise).

Pretty much. I don't think his skills are that lacking (his SS aren't bad at all, and his edges are good when he's "into" a performance), but it's just why he feels heavy to me.

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

He can be precise, but it's just not able to match the quick precision that would help him smooth out his skating as say Chan or Yuzu. 

Maybe this is a better description? His issue is more here than in his edging.

4 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Pretty much. I don't think his skills are that lacking (his SS aren't bad at all, and his edges are good when he's "into" a performance), but it's just why he feels heavy to me.

Maybe this is a better description? His issue is more here than in his edging.

Quickness+precision takes a *lot* of time. If he buckles down and actually does more choreography that forces him to do it (which is why I'm so glad he's moving away from Ballet), give him a year or 2 and he should hopefully get better at it. Hip hop and even jazz would be interesting choices- you won't have time to do slow counters or rockers, they need to be fast, but in order to get the levels you need a much more deep curve, so for me at least that's why those choices are interesting. 

Then again, those music choices can also lend to balletic arms and a lot of toe-pick work and less curves too....

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

Then again, those music choices can also lend to balletic arms and a lot of toe-pick work and less curves too....

We'll see. :laughing: I do think there's probably a reason behind "why" he isn't quick enough (his gain of speed using his lean isn't the best, for instance), but yeah lighter, speedier choreo would help him train that.

6 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

Oh LORD! I loved the video you linked too! :tumblr_inline_n0o1ffBcXo1qid2nw: I’m a sucker for the kind of control ballet teaches and that was glorious.