21 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

One thing I love about the season, and Olympic season at that approaching, is that interviews start and then come pouring!

Anyway, a very good one with Gracie Gold:

Olympian Gracie Gold opens up about body standards, pressure in figure skating

Quite a few things there that can be talked about!

I'm really glad to hear from her. Gracie and Karen are my favorite U.S. ladies' skaters (when their jumps are on). 

I think it's interesting to see her obsessing about looks because Gracie is the perfect "girl next door" and always has been in U.S. figure skating. Even Ashley has said that compared to Gracie she's more like that "girl down the street" or something (in reference to being less typical/marketable). It's also interesting to hear her say she dislikes her legs because I've also noticed (and Yuzu has also shown us!) that skating really really builds muscles on your legs, specifically your calves and thighs, and that can look disproportionate on the rest of a skater's small frame. (I'm actually surprised that Medvedeva hasn't bulked up her legs, but maybe it's just her body type and/or she hides it well). But what can you do? You need leg muscles to spin (i.e. sit spin is so hard to do and they make it look effortless!) and jumps of course.

I know some skaters say that what they're looking forward to the most in retirement is eating whatever they want. I know Yuna has said she just wants to be able to eat whatever she wants for the first time in her entire life. Even in semi-retirement (when she took a year off) she couldn't do that because she had to still keep in shape and train. And we can see from recent pics that she's definitely added some weight and looks great...and healthy! :)

I feel really sorry for the American girls over the 'looks' business.  The ladies singles seems to be their main focus, bit like ladies gymnastics- it must be an extra slice of pressure on top of everything else.

Quick reminder that Glacier Falls starts today and we'll have Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, Polina Edmunds, Caroline Zhang and Kaitlyn Nguyen while Jason Brown, Grant Hochstein, Ross Miner and Sean Rabbitt for the men (plus the international folks). 
There is no livestream but I am sure there'll be videos!

14 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Quick reminder that Glacier Falls starts today and we'll have Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, Polina Edmunds, Caroline Zhang and Kaitlyn Nguyen while Jason Brown, Grant Hochstein, Ross Miner and Sean Rabbitt for the men (plus the international folks). 
There is no livestream but I am sure there'll be videos!

:popcorn::popcorn:

Every time I see new things on Team USA I'm afraid someone has chosen to kill himself with other quads, so it's great to have good news and I hope in new beautiful programs.:smiley-love017:

Still do not like Jason's SP music. Also not impressed with much of Rohene's usual over-the-top choreography. Kori needs to rein him in (again) so Jason can master his jumps. He's rapidly running out of time.

Jason is so talented. Can't help but wonder how much of a difference a coach like Brian Orser would have made for him.