The battle for the spots is about to start.

Rippon is back on ice. Jason had two excellent competitions and is announcing a Hamilton SP with two quads. Max is never out of contention but may be the one who is the most impacted by the current PCS vs quad battle. If Nathan and Vincent go, providing Vincent has a decent Seniors season, who will fill the last spot?

Ladies are not much better. Will Gracie make a successful come back now that she is with Marina? Is Polina truly returning? Can Ashley still hold it even with a somewhat uninspired season behind her? Can Karen repeat her Nationals title, her rep has certainly risen since saving the 3 spots.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!

Nathan seems like the one with the most probability of going to the olympics, barring any major injuries or catastrophes. I really hope for Jason Brown to get a spot. Seriously, who doesn't love to see that guy skate? I really have no idea what will happen with Adam, Max, and Vincent.

As for ladies, I really am holding out hope for Karen Chen. Regardless of her inconsistency, she really moves me when she skates. Those spirals! Her jumps are powerful and you can see the emotion in her movements and expressions. I got teary-eyed during her sp at nationals this year. I really hope for the best with her, and I think she has the potential to be the total package. Its difficult to say whether Gracie can make a comeback. I really do enjoy Ashley's skating as she has such a vibrant personality.

To my mind, Jason has solidified his grip on a spot with his performances at WC and WTT. When he is healthy, he is beautiful and reliable. He is fun and he can go viral. His Team USA photoshoot demonstrates that charisma. From a marketing perspective, I wouldn't leave him off. I feel fine saying that, because I'm confident he will perform well, without being gifted. If you make Yuzuru Hanyu stop and think, you're doing something right.

Nathan, barring catastrophe, is a shoe-in.

So to my mind the last spot is a battle royale between Adam, Max, Vincent, Josh Farris, a surprise challenger (Grant? Torgashev?)... Adam is my sentimental favorite. He had a lot of momentum before he got injured :(

Ladies... I don't have an emotional investment. I always want to watch Ashley no matter what she does. As difficult as this sport is, I'm a little frustrated with all the flakiness right now. I'll applaud anyone who puts it together. I still like Mirai and Mariah, and I'd like to see Tessa Hong develop well. As far as I'm concerned, our ladies are out of the medal hunt, unless there is a drastic change.

USA men have amazing depth (maybe moreso than any other country in the world? besides Japan, but even this is arguable as Japan has 1-2 but their 3 is not even close to top 10) whereas the ladies not so much. Honestly, I've been so frustrated at the ladies this season that I almost felt angry they got 3 spots when Japan only got 2. I felt like Japanese ladies deserved it more.

Very frustrated at Gracie but to be fair her fall from grace made me like her more. Before I thought she was overhyped (especially during Sochi, omg! Blonde! Beautiful! Gracie! GOLD! I was so sick of it!) but now, I feel bad for her and can tell she's not the perfect little pretty princess the media paints her out to be, which makes her more likable to me. So..still waiting for that breakout performance from her and hope she can do it at the Olympics.

My favorite team would be Gracie, Karen, and Mirai, but Ashley will probably be on the team. I just don't think she'll medal and sending her also won't be much of an investment as she's already peaked.

After all this, I'm just clueless about Karen Chen's success predictability next season lol. She's pleasant and has lovely spirals that are arguably the best among the field today, so I'd like to see more of her. If Gracie doesn't shape up quick enough (and I doubt she could), then Karen definitely can make the team, that is if she doesn't unravel at the wrong time.

For the men my only wish is for Adam to qualify... he was the first skater I ever watched and I just want him to be able to end his career on a high note, having gone to the olympics.

I actually think Karen has a good shot despite her inconsistency because so far she has been able to skate clean where it counts (holding onto her lead at nationals and then worlds). So I think she can handle the pressure.

Last I checked Gracie put on a little weight and struggled to even do a double lip. I'm not sure what her game plan is honestly or what the performance reports have been from SOI.

Sentimentally I would like Mirai to make it this time. And maybe it's possible. She is the only US lady to medal internationally after Nationals. I like Karen too but she can be hot or cold. Never been a fan of Wagner, but I don't see them leaving her off the team. Mariah Bell I don't really feel one way or the other about, but I don't like her more than Karen, Mirai, or Gracie when she decides to pull it together. Polina will probably compete to try to make the team as well. Reeeeeally don't like her skating but for some reason she seems to skate well at nationals.

- he is sooooo on point for me.

For the men, I think it'll be Jason, Nate, and Vincent. As long at Nate and Vincent are healthy I think they are locks. Reliable quadsters.

Ah, reliable quadsters. Yuzu is such an exception to my pattern. Normally I see a young guy nailing the quads and I'm like, yawn. Give me the artistic hot messes and the late bloomers; that's my history. I think my next generation favorites are going to be Vassilievs, Cha and Torgashev. They've got some jazz. I've grown to respect Boyang a lot. Good personality, and he's really working on his weaknesses.

Helsinki world is such a weird event. Only medvedeva skate 2 clean programs among the top 5. Among the top 10, I think dabin choi too? Who else do I miss? Satoko is not around, Zagitova is not yet senior (I am positive she will make the team barring injuries) Pogo bombed after being so so consistent all season long. I think the road to pyeongchang would be quite tough for the US ladies, I have yet to see any of them skate 2 clean programs back-to-back this season, and I think that would be what is necessary to even reach the top 5 at PC, or even make it to GPF.

Helsinki world is such a weird event. Only medvedeva skate 2 clean programs among the top 5. Among the top 10, I think dabin choi too? Who else do I miss? Satoko is not around, Zagitova is not yet senior (I am positive she will make the team barring injuries) Pogo bombed after being so so consistent all season long. I think the road to pyeongchang would be quite tough for the US ladies, I have yet to see any of them skate 2 clean programs back-to-back this season, and I think that would be what is necessary to even reach the top 5 at PC, or even make it to GPF.

What about Elizabet?

What about Elizabet?

Oh right I forgot about her. She got some negative GOE but she landed everything iirc. But that can also be said about Gabby daleman