Guest Mary_kyo

I respect Artur’s attempts and his obvious sole focus on 4A because his other jumps and skating elements are currently nonexistent. He is just here to land 4A (telegraphing) for the sake of records which is fine but very different from the goal of Yuzu which is to integrate the 4A jump in a complete program, without telegraphing the jump. Also, there is no need to paint Artur’s attempt as something it wasn’t. It was at least half rotation short, not q. Super messy landing to the point he was lucky he didn’t fall. All this PR just before Olympics by USFSA just shows they are very afraid of Yuzu reaching his final goal.

Anyway, I think Artur is following Yuzu’s previous approach, aka throwing himself in the air with the hope of getting the rotations by chance or by only sheer physical power. Not the best approach and very risky tbh. Now, Yuzu is wisely changing his approach. He is going for a formula that leads to a stable consistent jump. I hope Kohei’s hint will help him to reach the goal faster.

Guest turquoiseblue

Interview with Artur Dmitriev's mother:

Мама Дмитриева: кто-то думал, что сын будет всерьез конкурировать с Ченом?

DeepL translation

The transition of Artur Dmitriev Jr. under the jurisdiction of the American Figure Skating Federation turned out to be a resonance. Although he has not represented our country in international competitions, has not participated in Russian championships for a long time, and he received an American passport back in the days when his father Artur Dmitriev Sr. and mother Tatiana Druchinina worked in the USA on a contract basis.

- What are your impressions of Artur's debut at the US Championships?

- I am happy that my son returned to the sport. Arthur after a long break felt the competitive atmosphere, he was warmly welcomed by the audience.

- Not disappointed with the sports performance?

- All in good time. Did anyone really think that Dmitriev would seriously compete with Nathan Cheng and Vincent Zhou? At the US Championships Arthur was just planning to come back as a reigning athlete, and he achieved this goal. What happens next, we'll see.

- All the names of the competitors in the US championships are listed opposite the clubs they represent, and only Dmitriev was listed as an independent athlete...

- As of today he represents the New York Skating Club. There is a deadline for transfers in the US, as there is in Russia. September was a little late.

- Is the quadruple axel in the free routine a gamble?

- Well, why not? It counted, even if it was an undercurve. The Americans are already saying that this is the first time a quadruple axel has been performed at a national championship.

- The independent figure skater Dmitriev was preparing for this year's national championships in Chelyabinsk. Are you settling down in New York now?

- There is no answer to that question yet. Everything will depend on whether or not Ekaterina, Artur's wife, will be able to get a visa. She was in constant touch with us at the moment, she was worried about every jump in Chelyabinsk.

- We are not yet clear about the training facilities, but do you have any plans for the nearest competitions?

- Arthur took 11th place at the US Championships. He will have the right to represent the U.S. at international tournaments. We hope my son will not be a stranger to the Russian fans, either. We felt the support of the fans. We are very grateful to the doctors Irina Tkachuk from St. Petersburg and Vladimir Korovin from Penza who helped Artur to recover and get in shape after a long break.

4 hours ago, yuzupon said:

Hmm… I guess his attempt at it in 2018 Rostelecom Cup, a grand prix event mind you, didn’t count, because, hmm… it doesn’t fit whatever narrative they’re going on with here? Or because he was skating for Russia then? Selective severe amnesia? Make it makes sense, please. I can’t with this.

Selective amnesia, I would say. Plus, he is senile in skating year. Give the guy a break lol. But in all seriousness, even tho it is admirable of him to try, that interview is a lot to digest. 

A student of Mishin lands a clean fully rotated 4A at least 2-3 years ago, and is still capable of it or very close, and they have proof of it on camera to show anybody.

There is never any hint about this monumental, first-time-in-history achievement happening, from one of the most gossipy, leaky, bragging skating communities in the world.

When Yuzuru starts talking about his 4A quest for several years, and makes attempts in public from 2019 onward, not one single person makes a peep about "Well, he can try, but did you know Artur Dmitriev already--!"

Mishin himself, instead of saying "I think the 4A is surely possible..." or "certain skaters are getting very close, we shall see..." says that he never expects to see anybody land a 4A in his lifetime.

But didn't he already see the skater he advises doing it, more than once? If he wasn't there at the time, or Artur was training elsewhere, wouldn't he show Mishin the video? Or both Dmitrievs were keeping it as a big surprise from the honoured coach, as well as from all of Russian skating? :huh:

Or was Dmitriev Sr. being sneaky with his words: the "clean landings" he has on video, and the "fully rotated" attempts, were in fact two different things? :dontknow:

Who knows? :D 

Guest turquoiseblue

Dmitriev Jr. Finds New Opportunities in USA

Almost three years after his last international outing for Russia, Dmitriev switched federations to represent the United States, a country in which he had lived for seven years as a child. “When my father retired in 1998, my parents moved to the United States. He performed in shows and my mother worked as a choreographer with Sasha Cohen and Sarah Hughes. We lived here long enough to obtain citizenship. I don’t have any legal problems,” the 29-year-old said.

“I have not trained with my father since 2018 and now I work with my wife, (Ekaterina Ukolova, a former Russian figure skater he wed in August 2020). In Russia, I was not seen as a promising athlete. I received an offer from the American federation and I thought this was a good option.”

Three months later, he contested his first nationals in Nashville, ranking 12th in a field of 14 in the short program. First to skate in the free, Dmitriev made a bold move by going for a quad Axel as his first jumping pass. The attempt was unsuccessful and received a downgrade following a two-foot landing.

“I have done better in practice,” he said in reference to the jump. “I had a landing on it four or five years ago, but I could not keep my shape up for the competition. So after three years off the ice and no competitions, I came back and tried it again. I hope soon to have a clean one. I think I am the first one to do it in competition — I don’t know anyone else before me.”

Training the quad Axel requires preparation and time said Dmitriev Jr. “I usually take 15 minutes to work on it and when I am ready I will jump it. Then I take time off and when I feel I can I will do it again.”

When asked how he started working toward mastering the quad Axel the St. Petersburg native said he first attempted two triple Axels in a row. “Then I was like, hmm…can I do three in a row? I did three in a row and then four in a row, he explained. “And then I thought, ‘what if I go for the quad Axel?’ Can I do that? Let’s try it. That is why I am trying to do it. It is like another level psychologically. It is not one foot, two feet – it is in the head.”

He admitted he had seen Yuzuru Hanyu’s quad Axel attempt at the All Japan Championships and felt he “did a good job.”

Though he is focused on mastering four revolutions, the Axel is not his favourite jump. “I like all little parts of every jump. They are all different. With the quad Axel — we started when my father coached me when I was small. We did two jumps: loop and a single Axel and he taught me the double Axel. But I love every jump.”

“I intend to return to duty. How it will turn out, we will see. I am absolutely serious.”

Jason shares letter to his younger self ahead of Olympic return: 'Dream big'

Jason,

You will engage in this incredible sport that will keep you up at night but will also be the catalyst for your wildest dreams. So follow your heart and dream big!

Remember that your time is valuable and limited. Use it wisely. Skate to music that moves you and invest time in activities and people you love! That way you won't regret it, and when reporters ask you about casualties, you won't question whether any of it was worth it because it was.

You want to please everyone and make them proud, but you can't do everything... and that's okay!

You will doubt yourself... like every day. People's words will get under your skin and you will struggle with your self-worth. Don't let that stop you from believing that you are capable. It happens and doesn't do you any good.

You will put people on pedestals, so forgive them when they fall. Remember that we are all flawed. There's so much more beauty in there. 

You will fight and fall... not once or twice, but hundreds and thousands of times in front of thousands of people... but it's nothing to be ashamed of because you'll always have the courage to get back up!

You'll meet incredible people and travel the world, but not without getting lost a few times. 

You will search for the meaning of life and reflect on your identity. Don't let that scare you. Embrace it, ask questions and be unashamedly yourself!  You've got a voice. So use it! You won't do it for many years, but I can promise you that once you do, you'll be happier.

The medals, achievements and awards are incredible right now, but you will always wake up to a new day ready to pursue your next goals. 

So allow yourself to have that same mindset when you're cracking under the pressure. Stop dwelling and forgive yourself. They tend to waste a little too much time fretting about the past. Go on! The rest of the world does.

Your team around you loves and supports you unconditionally. Thinking differently is holding you back. Asking for and leaning on help shows strength, there is no need to ever suffer alone. 

You will burn out, but don't give up because when that flame is reignited, it will burn even brighter. 

...and while all of these reviews may have been helpful to you, you'll have to experience it all for yourself before you can find out! So good luck, little one! Keep tying your skates and buckle up for the ride of a lifetime 😉

Send lots of love from the future,

Jason

:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Source:

https://people.com/sports/beijing-olympics-jason-brown-letter-to-younger-self/

New article about Jason
Skating to ‘Schindler’s List,’ figure skater Jason Brown to make second trip to Winter Olympics

According to the article he will travel to Beijing with Brian and Tracy.

Approaching these Winter Games, he says he’s never felt stronger.

“Obviously you want to keep pushing yourself, but you also want to take it upon yourself to say ‘these things are what make me confident and make me strong,’” Brown said. “It’s not just ‘oh, I’m building the experience.’ Now it’s saying, ‘okay, I have the experience, time to apply it, get focused and trust yourself, trust that your body knows it.”

Ahead of the Feb. 4 opening ceremony of the Winter Games, Brown’s schedule is packed with training, conducting interviews with Team U.S.A. and preparing for the Games’ Covid-19 protocol, which will require an isolation period following his arrival on Jan. 31. While coaches Wilson and Orser will make the trip to Beijing with Brown, his family will watch his performances on television from places like Los Angeles and Chicago in the U.S.

https://forward.com/news/481315/figure-skating-jason-brown-schindlers-list-beijing-winter-olympics-2022/

Guest turquoiseblue
6 hours ago, Anni said:

According to the article he will travel to Beijing with Brian and Tracy.

I hope Ghislain will be going to Beijing, too :smiley-angelic001::smiley-angelic001::smiley-angelic001: