3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I know this is OT, but that's an extremely fascinating topic in itself. 

I agree with loud(ish) voicing as long as it is geared towards gaining a positive result and isn't simply about tearing someone down in order to vent one's ire. The end goal should be to make things better for everyone, not to make one individual feel like a heel. 

Guest Mary_kyo

Well…the way Nick (and his PR team) want to reduce the problem to a “language problem”. As if the problem is not his mindset and how he has extremely benefitted from these skating's homophobic perspectives for years.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that a former training mate of poster boy Adam Rippon isn’t well aware of all these issues.  The inarticulate ramble doesn’t say much for Ivy League education either. 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:50 PM, Melodie said:

ya think he wrote the script himself or someone wrote it for him? 

The way his eyes keep flitting to his left, the lack of spontaneaity, the concepts he talks about: my $$$ on scripted and plagiarized 

On 7/29/2021 at 9:29 AM, yuzuangel said:

Well, to them, it's just about the language i guess. "How to be more politically correct," not "how to have less internalized homophobia."

On 7/29/2021 at 10:11 PM, Melodie said:

🤨

Although these two are not overtly related issues, they both stem from the same place: a lack of will to correct the underlying problem

On 7/28/2021 at 12:31 AM, Mary_kyo said:

There is no need to play mental gymnastics to find a way to water down Nathan’s horrible words. You just contradicted yourself here. Yes, it was obviously written by his agency and no, him reciting other people’s words is not considered sincere lol wtf

The way you are trying to find excuses for him being homophobic lol Nope, all this shows that he is suffering from fragile masculinity, has no understanding and respect for artistic skating (this part was actually proven years ago in his past interviews tho, so his now disgusting comments should be of no surprise)

it is not an interesting quote. Just a very poor attempt to justify Nathan. Read this thread carefully, think deeply and then if you subtly try again to excuse Nathan’s comments, then sorry, you are not a decent person as well:

Edit: also fs.delight is on instagram

OK, so not agreeing with you means I'm not a decent person. I let you think about this.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:58 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

I know this is OT, but that's an extremely fascinating topic in itself. 

I agree with loud(ish) voicing as long as it is geared towards gaining a positive result and isn't simply about tearing someone down in order to vent one's ire. The end goal should be to make things better for everyone, not to make one individual feel like a heel. 

Exactly. I was reading your messages since mine and you worded everything perfectly.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:59 AM, Henni147 said:

You know what annoys me the most about this whole situation?

This is not the first time that Nathan said more than questionable stuff. I still remember vividly his quote:

"If something you really want to watch is artistry, go watch ice dancing. I think with what we're doing now, we're bringing such an athletic aspect to the sport."   Source

EDIT

He was not talking only about himself here. He used that "we" as a generalization of the whole men's field. Deliberately. This was not just a slip, not then and not now. He knows exactly what he said there and yes, he clearly wants to see men's figure skating change into an acrobatic direction. This is not just about his own style and decisions, but the sport as a whole. The problem with his recent interview is not just the choice of words, but especially message behind it, which is outrageous.

And what was the media's reaction? NOTHING. DEAD SILENCE. They conveniently sweep everything under the rug, as if nothing had happened. Some people even defend and support him.

Remember what happened to Javi in Sochi, when he joked that the "gays should behave in Russia"? He was torn apart by the press, publicly labelled as a homophobe by Spanish and also international journalists right before the men's Olympic short program. I still see Brian and Tracy how they tried everything to comfort him and begged him to compete, not to throw everything away what he's been working for years.   Source (segment starts around 11:18)

Guess how old he was there? Exactly, 23 like Nathan is now. Interestingly the media had no scruples to call Javi out and defend the LGBTQ society then. Now, when it's not just some silly joke, but a serious and very harmful agenda that has been systemically pushed for years... nothing happens.

Footnote: I do not mean to defend Javi. He should have known that the sharks in the media are always lurking for every crumb they can turn into a scandal and he served it on a silver platter.

In my opinion, so that's worth what it's worth, Javi was trashed because he was coming from a small fed which did not support him at all and no media support at all in his own country. So he was an "easy prey". On the other hand, Nathan is very well supported by his fed and the US media. Though he got trashed by the social media warriors. IMHB, none of them should have been trashed by anyone. I understood Javi words as he was worrying for the gay athletes knowing how homophobic Russian media can be, and I understood Nathan words as he was trying to prove the US homophobic you can be straight and perform in figure skating.

A nice and famous fanyu on twitter who wrote successive messages about the Nathan words shows you need to stop and thing before calling him homophobic:

https://twitter.com/Fran_klymydear/status/1419292702777151495?s=20

https://twitter.com/Fran_klymydear/status/1419642980194033667?s=20

https://twitter.com/Fran_klymydear/status/1419930431173152768?s=20

On 7/29/2021 at 5:05 AM, Pammi said:

good reporting!

I especially agree Nathan should do more now:

"Unlike some others, I found Chen’s apology a step in the right direction, but he now needs to do more. He can start by reaching out to LGBTQ skaters and listening to their stories. And then he can follow up by being a strong public voice for inclusion in a sport that has kept LGBTQ skaters in the closet. Stop telling people you’re straight right off the bat. If he just figures his apology is enough, what he said will ultimately be meaningless."

On 7/29/2021 at 9:15 AM, Mary_kyo said:

Well…the way Nick (and his PR team) want to reduce the problem to a “language problem”. As if the problem is not his mindset and how he has extremely benefitted from these skating's homophobic perspectives for years.

It's not what he wrote. If Nathan apologised, it's because he felt misunderstood. Whatever it's true or not, that's another story. When Marvel says "walk the talk", that means he's asking Nathan to act now as talking (the apology) is not enough.