3 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

His agent has come a long way, from the days of making her client pretend that he got hacked to say foolish things, to now actually making her client acknowledge that he said foolish things..... 

ya think he wrote the script himself or someone wrote it for him? 

3 hours ago, Melodie said:

ya think he wrote the script himself or someone wrote it for him? 

90% of what he publicly says, does and decides since 2017 comes as prescribed (which isn't weird or wrong on its own), but also fake and not sincere.

It's not the first time when he said something yikes, just the first ttime when it was on a really sensitive topic.

Video with interview was for a 4 days on youtube before it was taken down and apology is after what? 2 days of non-stop drama and topic not calming down? Amazing.

You  know!!

30 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

It sounds that he learnt that apology which was probably written by his agency. It isn't sincere.

It was written by his agency. And it was his agency that had the video removed pronto after Fanyus found that “slip up”. 

He doesn’t admit his internalised views, just says “ignorant comments” - ignorant thoughts more like! And we know how long it takes people to change them!

reading the sycophantic comments under the apology just made me fuming again!! It doesn’t just end with a sorry, the issue is much bigger and more ingrained than he acknowledges, and he doesn’t show much remorse for the hurt people felt at what he said. Also, he copied Yuzuru with his individual expression comment - given he had heard Yuzuru answer a similar question in an inclusive way,  to come out with what he said in the interview shows his true beliefs I think. This is damage limitation to appease us given it seemed to only be us who spoke out publicly (did we see anyone else notable in the “debate” on Twitter? I didn’t…but I hope others did speak out?!)

I think I am angry that I did think he was an OK person….but now I don’t, and despite my view that I am glad he at least apologised (some wouldn't even do that) I won’t be feeling the same when he skates/wins (ie well I don’t like his skating but he’s a nice lad) - I will just dislike everything about him and feel even more aggrieved about the treatment of Yuzuru in this sport….

He.... doesn't actually say "I'm sorry" once. Acknowledging an "ignorant answer" is a first step but doesn't come even close to addressing the underlying issue. I doubt they'll change their "let's make skating straight again" PR strategy when it worked so well with judges so far. (Because there's a lot to unpack in how the media has pushed the "athleticism" angle in that regard)

31 minutes ago, Veveco said:

He.... doesn't actually say "I'm sorry" once. Acknowledging an "ignorant answer" is a first step but doesn't come even close to addressing the underlying issue. I doubt they'll change their "let's make skating straight again" PR strategy when it worked so well with judges so far. (Because there's a lot to unpack in how the media has pushed the "athleticism" angle in that regard)

Exactly. The core of the problem is that many people in charge in this sport share exactly his attitude and way of thinking. They openly push this agenda ever since, both in the judging and the media narratives.

To paint himself as a victim is downright tasteless, especially after all the blatant favoritism and candies he gets. The pinnacle of audacity is to push for more "masculine" and acrobatic skating, while scoring a WR with Rocketman. Of all possible music choices. My condolences to Elton John and the message he wanted to convey with that piece. It takes more than a video apology to undo the damage he did. Much more.

It makes me so angry that this is the skater who's supposed to be the new face of men's figure skating, when there are so many truly classy and honorable skaters out there who don't need a PR team to find the right words and be a light to the people.

5 hours ago, Fay said:

I am quite amused by seeing some people turn the whole debacle into Fanyus’ fault. 

Again? 

That's us Fanyus all right...very plot...much evil.... *eye roll*

Anyway, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that he's sincere in wanting to apologize. But please, let's not repeat this, N*than...learn the lesson, choose your words more carefully in future. And try to evolve a bit. 

34 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

The core of the problem is that many people in charge in this sport share exactly his attitude and way of thinking.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

(Because there's a lot to unpack in how the media has pushed the "athleticism" angle in that regard)

When you think about it, they're saying that a skater who looks beautiful and elegant as he does a triple axel, isn't athletic. 

Let that sink in. 

That's like saying a a mountain goat isn't athletic because it has a cute shaggy coat.