Yuzuru's chance of competing until 2022 Beijing Olympics

Who can predict the up and downs of the coming years? (even if I wish I could to lessen my anxiety, haha) most important thing is health and happiness. He's already achieved his biggest dream at PC, and I look at all achievments in competition after that as a precious bonus, cherries on top...

If he were to get the jumps he dreams of, and in condition and belief he can still stand at the top then, I can see him going for it. It would certainly be something not even his tiny self dreamed or imagined... when I think of him mentioning achieving his past self's dreams. I hope he can achieve his current dreams, for himself. There's a thousand possibilities. If he stays competing every year, if he were to take a year off to keep good condition, or whatever could happen. I agree he probably has a plan A, B, C. If he goes as far as he can go like he said in the interview... wonder where he ends up.

That said, is there one person that could make the impossible/a miracle happen I think we all know who it is. :idk:

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2019 at 11:24 PM, memae said:

This is what I think too. At this stage I think a 4A is perhaps more likely than another quad lutz from him, just in consideration of the points, being first, etc, as well as his lack of fondness for toe jumps (esp flip), getting injured practicing his quad lutz, and then how phenomenally good his axel jumps are. 

And there we go. Successful 4Lz in Kobe, 4F attempts in Toyama, mentioned 4A practice before FaOI :xD:

For me this smells a little bit like Beijing preparation...

I don't believe that Yuzu puts so much effort into his technical upgrade for just one more season.

But... who knows...

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

And there we go. Successful 4Lz in Kobe, 4F attempts in Toyama, mentioned 4A practice before FaOI :xD:

I don't believe that Yuzu puts so much effort into his technical upgrade for just one more season.

But... who knows...

Of course, there are a million what-ifs, but consider the timeline. Even our favorite extraterrestrial isn't likely to tame 4Lz, 4F and 4A in a single season -- meaning he can land them all consistently, with positive GOE. If his body holds up (a big if, as we all-too-sadly know), the attempt will almost certainly carry him through the 2020-21 season. 

Say, then, that he's skating through WC 2021, and winning most if not all the time. Would he r******** less than a year short of a possible 3rd OGM? I can't see any elite athlete doing that -- much less Yuzu. Whether his goal is another Olympics or just to conquer all six quads, he's likely to find himself on Beijing's doorstep. 

:9:   

If he continues to skate the season after the upcoming one, the probability of Beijing would go up A LOT. But as we can all tell, he is still soooo hungry that I can't see him being "done"!!! No one could have predicted him to stay this long after Sochi or even PC lol, Yuzu is one heck of a phenomenon. 

9 hours ago, Henni147 said:

But... who knows...

The amount of muscle he's packed on recently hints as much as well - it'll help him avoid injury, so the extra weight is worth the extra effort if he's looking forwards with Beijing in mind.  He looked stronger than ever at FAOI. 

4 hours ago, memae said:

The amount of muscle he's packed on recently hints as much as well - it'll help him avoid injury, so the extra weight is worth the extra effort if he's looking forwards with Beijing in mind.  He looked stronger than ever at FAOI. 

And much of that muscle appeared to be in his chest and upper arms -- where it will help him attain the greater rotational speed necessary to conquer certain jumps. Here's my take on that:

yuzu-tattoo-1.jpg

Edit: Sorry if this is OT.

24 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

And much of that muscle appeared to be in his chest and upper arms -- where it will help him attain the greater rotational speed necessary to conquer certain jumps. Here's my take on that:

yuzu-tattoo-1.jpg

Lol, don't be sorry for that

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

yuzu-tattoo-1.jpg

never be sorry for such a stroke of genius!!:xD:

He being cautious about a lot of things that's why he's being mum about it (Which is really wise. By talking less about your plans, the chances of succeeding is much higher)----But if you're going to ask him in private, he would probably say yes, so long as he feels that his body and overall condition can still keep up with his ideals and vision by then. 

The fact that he wants to master all quads---says a lot. He's far, far from being done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 12:53 AM, Shimmering said:

I remember Brian once said that Yuzu loves to be first - that is, to be the first to do things. 4A is his dream, the only dream not yet fulfilled, so of course he will chase it. But there is one more thing I keep thinking about: there are a bunch of people jumping the quad lutz (even girls) and a couple of people jumping the quad flip. By adding the quad lutz and the quad flip Yuzu will surely up his TES, but in judges' minds he will still be catching up - a good reason to say "isn't it time to make room for younger athletes, as you've had your share of victories?" But if he jumps the 4A, he will be in a category of his own again, with others catching up, and that will change the way the judges are looking at him. And with it, I think, he will have greater chances at that third OGM, if he decides to pursue it.

I agree.

Yuzu said in his interview after the recent Worlds that 4A is no longer what he wished to land first but is now a must-have weapon to become the strongest ever and an invincible skater.  

During FaOI he has got back his 4lz and was attempting 4F but Nathan has already got 5 quads and can put them in his free skating if he wants.  I think if Yuzu gets 5 quads, he can beat Nathan for a while as Yuzu has better PCS but I dont know if he can continue to win over Nathan in the future. Nathan is still young and healthy enough to spend a lot of time on practicing to increase GOE and PCS.

It seems Yuzus goal at present is to be stronger than Nathan, to beat him by a mile, score-wise and artistry-wise.  

To achieve that goal, I guess, being the first to land 4A with positive GOE is extremely important for him. And it will give him a chance to be the first to land all 6 quads (if he continues to attempt to aquire 4F) and may make him want to go for 3rd gold.  And in my personal view, without 4A Yuzu will not go for Beijing even if he is healthy. If he decided to go, that means he is to win.

• 1 month later...

I'm excited and scared for the upcoming season. If he does well this season, maybe he will continue competing until 2022.
It broke my heart when he was disappointed in himself last WC 2019. :sadPooh: He keeps pushing himself to regain his spot on the top.
I want him to continue skating after 2019-2020 but a part of me also wants him to retire because I know that it will just keep getting harder for him to keep up with the appearance of talented young skaters and he is already considered as one of the greatest skaters of all time.

2 часа назад, KittySaurus сказал:

It broke my heart when he was disappointed in himself last WC 2019.

Boston 2016 was a real heatbreak, last season not so much, even though I'm sad when Yuzu is sad, but that FS was a real fight and he can be proud of it.

I'd say everything depends on his health and what he wants to accomplish. I just want him to do what makes him happy :tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:

With every bit of news coming from Lakernik et al, I want Yuzu to have a full and fulfilling 2019-2020, then gtfo as fast as he can. Best wishes to all skaters younger than him, especially the novices and juniors coming up, because right now this sport is like a car careening towards a cliff with a brick duct-taped to the accelerator. As a selfish fan, I don't want Yuzu to have any part of the mess the remainder of this quadrennial is shaping up to be.