The 2014 Patrick Chan and Yuzu Situation

19 hours ago, LadyLou said:

nice to read back knowing what's happened later:P I guess it must have been heartbreaking reading anything GPF15-related right after Boston.... also heartbreaking to think about the competitors back then...some with so much promise...and of course, Denis, it alwasy take a while for reality to sink in

also interesting how some perceptions have shifted, while some other things are still the same... the debate of TES vs 'artistry' never dies, as well as the one about the PCS quad-bonus. Kinda weird to see now sometimes we have Yuzuru in Patrick's role now:laughing:

I guess it's the natural shift that always happens when one raises to the top and new challengers appear...tho it feels unfair to really overlap current Yuzu with the Patrick back then, and current challengers with Yuzu-back-then. IMO Yuzuru still is the most complete skater, and he is the one with the most intricate programs, and he is the one making everything look the most effortless, and he also has the best jumps too and should get the highest GOE...(well, he has among the best spins too, when he isn't forgetting how to spin properly 'cause jelly legs):embSwan:

Yuzuru has it all, more than Patrick, who had some quite glaring weaknessess...

anyway, saying two-times Olympic Champion in my head has a particularly sweet taste :biggrin:

ETA

even more funny, reading old pre-Sochi threads, when people were:confused: or :knc_brian3: about Yuzu carrying Pooh, or people who found that cute and were worried about him having one day to 'grow up' and leave pooh at home (I also read once about someone worried that moving to TCC meant he had to ditch the Pooh, 'cause Brian would have not carried it:laughing:)

flash forward now, Pooh rain has changed the landscape of FS rinks for ever, and our Zu, possible GOAT, still carries his beloved and faithful Pooh-san around, cuddling it and absolutely not giving a damn about looking childish LOL (and using a fluffy strawberry shortcake in its place at the freakin' OWG LOL)

I stan:smiley-laughing021:

ETA 2: and even better, now it's perfectly acceptable to carry fluffy tissue-cases around...

Yes, I can only imagine... 

Yuzu carrying around his one and only Pooh 

people giphy.gif

plushie tissue boxes carried by almost everyone PLUS the Pooh rain

people giphy.gif

On 9/28/2018 at 10:25 AM, Sammie said:

That why we all love him  :68468287: doesn’t give a damn what anyone think of Pooh. Brian tried to wean him off of Pooh the first competition together but Yuzu ain’t having it. Now Brian treat Pooh like gold :dancingpooh: some fans really wanted him to grow up and give up Pooh :angrypooh:

It would have broken hearts around the world had Pooh not been there this year...

And again, it's something I think only Yuzuru could forever get away with.  2 times Oly and World Champion, Lord High Prince of Murderface, Memeface, Drama and Extra, but if skatingdom hasn't gotten the message that Yuzu will do whatever the damn well he wants/needs to, whether the stuffier/staider among them think it fitting or not... skatingdom needs to open their ears.

22 hours ago, TallyT said:

duplicated sorry

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, cinemacoconut said:

And Yuzu tried quad lutz and loop when Nathan and Boyang started becoming quadsters. And yuzu tried harder to catch up. Whereas Patrick was too arrogant and took it easy, not accepting the fact that Yuzu was a major threat and that he was in fact competing against a future Figure Skating legend prodigy. 

Yuzuru was practicing the 4 Lo and 4Lz already in 2014/15

8 hours ago, GoldMedalist said:

His interviews are the reason why he is so hated-  and why he could never be as popular as Yuzuru, even if he would win olympics :shrug:

Yeah, he really has a knack for saying things in exactly the wrong way. But you can see how hard he's trying.

On 9/28/2018 at 5:02 AM, makebelieveup said:

I just went on YT to watch Patrick's POTO program. It was really amazing and I'm impressed with this program. To bad I wasn't a FS fan during his prime though and it upsets me how some current skaters are scoring above him in the PCs area. But the fanyu in me prefers Yuzuru's POTO program and skating style. Patrick is a powerhouse while Yuzuru is just all around effortless with the kind of "wreckless abandon" Scott Hamilton described before. His interpretation of the program is more emotional, imo. 

P.S. I still dont really get why Yuzu's scored lower at WTT than GPF

It's because Yuzu pop his second jump from 4T into 3T so the base value was very much decreased compare to GPF (from 10.3 for 4T to 4.3 for 3T without the GOEs). So even if he didn't fall on his 3Lz like at GPF, where he lost about 4-5 points because of the fall and UR, he still didn't get quite high score in WTT.

That's how high scoring the Quad is, it is also why some Quadster with a falls can wins against skater with a clean program that has lower base value. 

5 hours ago, freyaminnie said:

It's because Yuzu pop his second jump from 4T into 3T so the base value was very much decreased compare to GPF (from 10.3 for 4T to 4.3 for 3T without the GOEs). So even if he didn't fall on his 3Lz like at GPF, where he lost about 4-5 points because of the fall and UR, he still didn't get quite high score in WTT.

That's how high scoring the Quad is, it is also why some Quadster with a falls can wins against skater with a clean program that has lower base value. 

Ohh I never knew he popped his 4T. Thanks for explaining, now it makes sense. 

7 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Ohh I never knew he popped his 4T. Thanks for explaining, now it makes sense. 

it was a unique instance where Yuzuru popped a quad into triple... usually he's extra and pops to double with that very distinctive halting middair:13877886: