The 2014 Patrick Chan and Yuzu Situation

Re: Yuzu and his choreographers

As for Shae-Lynn, having Shae-Lynn to choreograph his FP for the 2014-2015 season was Brian's decision. Yuzu said in Aoi Honoo 2 that they had already made that decision, so he agreed. However, skating to POTO was Yuzu's choice, which was confirmed by Brian in his Team Brian 2. He said that the coaching team let Yuzu take the initiative in music selection. For SP for that season, on the other hand, Brian said that he, Tracy, Jeff, and Yuzu had a meeting and selected the music.

As for David, I think what Yuzu begged him for was to use R&J, not to choreograph his program. As I mentioned earlier, even after he won his first OGM he didn't have the initiative in deciding who to choreograph his program, so I doubt he did before Sochi. As to the music choice, Yuzu also said that he asked David to use that piece in multiple interviews.

David once said that he wanted to collaborate with a skater more than once because it took time to get to know a skater and bring the best out of them. So NDDP and R&J might have been the result of not spending enough seasons together? (though I like R&J 2.0, especially the part around two 3A combinations. I saw it live only once and it was truly beautiful, not just technically amazing.)

I want to get back on topic, but I've already said what I wanted to say. I can agree with @hoodie axel a bit on Patrick's Four Seasons. I liked it very much and I wanted him to repeat his performance in TEB 2013 at Sochi. My dream was to see clean Four Seasons and clean R&J 2.0 at the Olympics but I learned how much I underestimated Olympics, how much it meant to athletes. Seeing the disappointment in their faces was quite tough, so I was glad to be able to see them (and Javi) finished the competition on a good note this time.

The thing that bugs me about Patrick, when you look back, is that all of his issues are problems that could have been corrected by the right coach. But especially in the latter half of his career, it just seemed like none of his coaches were willing to tell him what he needed to hear. And that's a shame, really. 

But I am going to say it again: in person the guy exudes massive charisma on the ice. You can't get the effect from watching him on TV at all. 

I just went on YT to watch Patrick's POTO program. It was really amazing and I'm impressed with this program. To bad I wasn't a FS fan during his prime though and it upsets me how some current skaters are scoring above him in the PCs area. But the fanyu in me prefers Yuzuru's POTO program and skating style. Patrick is a powerhouse while Yuzuru is just all around effortless with the kind of "wreckless abandon" Scott Hamilton described before. His interpretation of the program is more emotional, imo. 

P.S. I still dont really get why Yuzu's scored lower at WTT than GPF

I'm glad PChiddy chose the character development route (per himself, lol) and he and Yuzu seemed to become reasonably fond of each other over the last few years. They have some cute interactions on fancams. Looking back on Patrick's career, he'll never exactly have me smashing that replay button (I don't care for a lot of his programs, and he has a few stylistic quirks I can't get past) but I appreciate his old-school skills. Nobody skates quite like him. And as a Canadian looking at the crop of current Canadian men I know it'll be a good few years before we have another prominent, established men's star like him.

6 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

I'm glad PChiddy chose the character development route (per himself, lol) and he and Yuzu seemed to become reasonably fond of each other over the last few years. They have some cute interactions on fancams. Looking back on Patrick's career, he'll never exactly have me smashing that replay button (I don't care for a lot of his programs, and he has a few stylistic quirks I can't get past) but I appreciate his old-school skills. Nobody skates quite like him. And as a Canadian looking at the crop of current Canadian men I know it'll be a good few years before we have another prominent, established men's star like him.

Agreed, but we do have some promising up-and-comers. And Kevin Reynolds is still giving it the old college try.

36 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The thing that bugs me about Patrick, when you look back, is that all of his issues are problems that could have been corrected by the right coach. But especially in the latter half of his career, it just seemed like none of his coaches were willing to tell him what he needed to hear. And that's a shame, really. 

But I am going to say it again: in person the guy exudes massive charisma on the ice. You can't get the effect from watching him on TV at all. 

He’s a bit like JK Rowling - too much success too early- badly needed a coach/ editor for the later versions to curb the self indulgence and crack the whip on jump training and music choices/ wield the blue pen on the later scripts to really show themselves at their best.

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Agreed, but we do have some promising up-and-comers. And Kevin Reynolds is still giving it the old college try.

Yes, he just keeps on keeping on. I was actually 100% sure he'd retired, then suddenly he popped up again with new programs and new hair! I just went "oh, OK, werk, Kevin."

1 minute ago, Sombreuil said:

He’s a bit like JK Rowling - too much success too early- badly needed a coach/ editor for the later versions to curb the self indulgence and crack the whip on jump training and music choices/ wield the blue pen on the later scripts to really show themselves at their best.

Yup. And to tell him when it was time to grow his skills and learn new things.

1 minute ago, fyere0 said:

Yes, he just keeps on keeping on. I was actually 100% sure he'd retired, then suddenly he popped up again with new programs and new hair! I just went "oh, OK, werk, Kevin."

Yeah, he went full-on natural curl at ACI. It was cute. But the man needs better choreography for his FS. SP was great.

27 minutes ago, Lambari said:

LOL I found the thread but I think it was edited by moderators (GS is notorious for that :facepalm:)  because I remember it having much more pages, or maybe it was another thread from an earlier season.

This one is even more entertaining lmfao

All old threads are pure gold.

I have admit I enjoy reading the people who underestimated him. The talk about Yuzu being effeminate and his mannerisms being feminine back in 2013 doesn’t fly in 2018 anymore. People will get drag real quick if they dare make fun of people like that.  :hachimaki:

1 hour ago, Lambari said:

LOL I found the thread but I think it was edited by moderators (GS is notorious for that :facepalm:)  because I remember it having much more pages, or maybe it was another thread from an earlier season.

This one is even more entertaining lmfao

All old threads are pure gold.

nice to read back knowing what's happened later:P I guess it must have been heartbreaking reading anything GPF15-related right after Boston.... also heartbreaking to think about the competitors back then...some with so much promise...and of course, Denis, it alwasy take a while for reality to sink in

also interesting how some perceptions have shifted, while some other things are still the same... the debate of TES vs 'artistry' never dies, as well as the one about the PCS quad-bonus. Kinda weird to see now sometimes we have Yuzuru in Patrick's role now:laughing:

I guess it's the natural shift that always happens when one raises to the top and new challengers appear...tho it feels unfair to really overlap current Yuzu with the Patrick back then, and current challengers with Yuzu-back-then. IMO Yuzuru still is the most complete skater, and he is the one with the most intricate programs, and he is the one making everything look the most effortless, and he also has the best jumps too and should get the highest GOE...(well, he has among the best spins too, when he isn't forgetting how to spin properly 'cause jelly legs):embSwan:

Yuzuru has it all, more than Patrick, who had some quite glaring weaknessess...

anyway, saying two-times Olympic Champion in my head has a particularly sweet taste :biggrin:

ETA

32 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I have admit I enjoy reading the people who underestimated him. The talk about Yuzu being effeminate and his mannerisms being feminine back in 2013 doesn’t fly in 2018 anymore. People will get drag real quick if they dare make fun of people like that.  :hachimaki:

even more funny, reading old pre-Sochi threads, when people were:confused: or :knc_brian3: about Yuzu carrying Pooh, or people who found that cute and were worried about him having one day to 'grow up' and leave pooh at home (I also read once about someone worried that moving to TCC meant he had to ditch the Pooh, 'cause Brian would have not carried it:laughing:)

flash forward now, Pooh rain has changed the landscape of FS rinks for ever, and our Zu, possible GOAT, still carries his beloved and faithful Pooh-san around, cuddling it and absolutely not giving a damn about looking childish LOL (and using a fluffy strawberry shortcake in its place at the freakin' OWG LOL)

I stan:smiley-laughing021:

ETA 2: and even better, now it's perfectly acceptable to carry fluffy tissue-cases around...

9 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

nice to read back knowing what's happened later:P I guess it must have been heartbreaking reading anything GPF15-related right after Boston.... also heartbreaking to think about the competitors back then...some with so much promise...and of course, Denis, it alwasy take a while for reality to sink in

also interesting how some perceptions have shifted, while some other things are still the same... the debate of TES vs 'artistry' never dies, as well as the one about the PCS quad-bonus. Kinda weird to see now sometimes we have Yuzuru in Patrick's role now:laughing:

I guess it's the natural shift that always happens when one raises to the top and new challengers appear...tho it feels unfair to really overlap current Yuzu with the Patrick back then, and current challengers with Yuzu-back-then. IMO Yuzuru still is the most complete skater, and he is the one with the most intricate programs, and he is the one making everything look the most effortless, and he also has the best jumps too and should get the highest GOE...(well, he has among the best spins too, when he isn't forgetting how to spin properly 'cause jelly legs):embSwan:

Yuzuru has it all, more than Patrick, who had some quite glaring weaknessess...

anyway, saying two-times Olympic Champion in my head has a particularly sweet taste :biggrin:

ETA

even more funny, reading old pre-Sochi threads, when people were:confused: or :knc_brian3: about Yuzu carrying Pooh, or people who found that cute and were worried about him having one day to 'grow up' and leave pooh (I also read once about someone worried that moving to TCC meant he had to ditch the Pooh, 'casue Brian would have not carried it...)

flash forward now, Pooh rain has changed the landscape of FS rinks for ever, and our Zu, possible GOAT, still carries his beloved and faithful Pooh-san around, cuddling it and absolutely not giving a damn about looking childish LOL (and using a fluffy strawberry shortcake in its place at the freakin' OWG LOL)

i stan:smiley-laughing021:

That why we all love him  :68468287: doesn’t give a damn what anyone think of Pooh. Brian tried to wean him off of Pooh the first competition together but Yuzu ain’t having it. Now Brian treat Pooh like gold :dancingpooh: some fans really wanted him to grow up and give up Pooh :angrypooh:

6 minutes ago, Sammie said:

That why we all love him  :68468287: doesn’t give a damn what anyone think of Pooh. Brian tried to wean him off of Pooh the first competition together but Yuzu ain’t having it. Now Brian treat Pooh like gold :dancingpooh: some fans really wanted him to grow up and give up Pooh :angrypooh:

blasphemy! :angrypooh:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

now we're planning to give him a whole zoo of plushies, with goats, Nessies and so on...

Yuzu somewhere: I just wanted one Pooh:1::headdesk2: