draka

2019 Worlds in Saitama, Japan - Tickets help

10 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Guys I just got this email from EMTG. :/ 

■Entrance Rules
Please bring the ID(passport) to the reception desk at the venue.
You will be able to enter after your identity has been verified.
We recommend coming as early as possible, as we are expecting many people.

Entrance of any persons other than the person on the ID is prohibited, even if it is a family member.

■About ID
Must be valid
Copies not acceptable

Maybe it would be a good idea to contact that journalist from the Japan Times who wants to talk to foreign fans and make a fuss about the situation with foreigner tickets. This is really terrible.

We’ll never beat the Japanese fans for seats now. :13877886:

I hope they won't dare, because it would be totally unfair, Japaneses had an official emtg resale site and us nothing, plus why should they care honestly? It's not like we stole the tickets or such! They even take their sweet time to answer our inquiries (my friend still can't claim her tickets for practices, after sending 3 emails!). At the Olys none checked IDs!! 

Reading this... sounds very daunting, almost like a nightmare. I read that Japan really wanted more international tourism... coming for a major event like this is one way to get it. They should make it easier, not harder, for people to attend. 

Edit: I hope all goes well for those of you going there.

3 hours ago, Spiccine said:

I hope they won't dare, because it would be totally unfair, Japaneses had an official emtg resale site and us nothing, plus why should they care honestly? It's not like we stole the tickets or such! They even take their sweet time to answer our inquiries (my friend still can't claim her tickets for practices, after sending 3 emails!). At the Olys none checked IDs!! 

Ooh I could definitely bring this up if I see the journalist. Hopefully we can raise awareness about this issue to make it easier to attend future events in Japan

57 minutes ago, alizabeth said:

Ooh I could definitely bring this up if I see the journalist. Hopefully we can raise awareness about this issue to make it easier to attend future events in Japan

Just a recap of the mess

• One lottery for foreigners
  • Smartphone tickets only, requires expensive roaming charges to use
  • Weeks and weeks to get a response from EMTG
  • No customer service or contact information provided
  • One hour’s notice for practice tickets, Japanese fans got 3 days notice
  • Not able to trade tickets, Japanese fans allowed to
  • Likely have to accompany everyone in and out of the venue, Japanese fans can redistribute tickets once inside the venue
  • Iirc no wheelchair tickets sold to foreigners 

Hi guys, just to put it out here again that I’m still looking for a ticket for the Free Skate on the 23rd. Please let me know if you have or see any. Thank you!

7 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Just a recap of the mess

• One lottery for foreigners
  • Smartphone tickets only, requires expensive roaming charges to use
  • Weeks and weeks to get a response from EMTG
  • No customer service or contact information provided
  • One hour’s notice for practice tickets, Japanese fans got 3 days notice
  • Not able to trade tickets, Japanese fans allowed to
  • Likely have to accompany everyone in and out of the venue, Japanese fans can redistribute tickets once inside the venue
  • Iirc no wheelchair tickets sold to foreigners 

so,

next time, for me anyway, although i am not going ths tume ejther], bever attenpt anything in japan.

there r enough events throughout which r much ore users friendly.

1 minute ago, twizzlesandturns said:

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked: are we allowed to bring cameras into the stadium (without using it of course)? And are there any other prohibited items? 

Cameras are not allowed. You may have to deposit in cloak room.

Speaking of camera's, I don't know if it's the same in every event in Japan but I attended a concert with my mom the other day and they are extremely strict with camera's. Apparently, someone was recording the audio through the camera and the security noticed. They literally snatched her phone and began checking, afterwards they kicked her out. I'm a bit scared to even take my phone out when watching the practice 😭

10 hours ago, alizabeth said:

I appear to have been summoned - I'll let our figure skating writer (Jack Gallagher - you're probably familiar with his column) know that this is an issue so he can ask around, as I'm primarily the multimedia/digital guy for our tournament coverage.

My primary beat is soccer, which has its own issues with scalpers/resellers/accessibility to foreign tourists - I've also dealt with this frequently during my work in the local music scene, so I am sympathetic to your plight even if a couple of the above complaints are a bit suspect (you don't need to roam to use the app, just get a data SIM. It's like $20 at the airport, and it's way easier to get them in Japan than it was 5 or even 3 years ago).

Unfortunately for everyone, Japan is getting very tough on scalpers/resellers, especially in the lead-in to the 2020 Olympics. Promoters don't like it, sports associations don't like it, cops don't like it. Tougher laws have been instituted in the last year or so, more concerts and sporting events are starting to implement ID checks and even facial recognition tech, so it's very much a case of 'buyer beware' when it comes to buying resold tickets and there's nothing that can be done about it (especially since "resale not allowed" is printed on every single ticket sold for an event in this country).

In the end Saitama Arena only fits about 18,000 and they can sell it out about 50x over domestically - it was always going to be an uphill battle for international fans and there's only so much the organizers can do. It does explicitly say on the EMTG website that "Only the winner of the ticket personally may attend the event. No other person may substitute as an attendee, even if the person who has ticket is unable to attend due to unavoidable circumstances nor can ticket charges be refunded in such case," but nothing really about passports... really hard to say what the situation will be like on the ground.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

38 minutes ago, yuzu87 said:

Is it free to store that in cloak room?

I don’t think there’s a cloak room. There are coin lockers. If you’re worried maybe see if you can store your camera in coin lockers at the train station.

———

Just got another email from EMTG saying the start times and door open times have changed again but no notice on the website yet so I’m not sure what changes have been made. 

@jt_dano Thanks for your response.  I would suspect data SIM would be fine but I’ve asked EMTG twice to clarify and they insist (via copy and pasting the FAQ over and over) that even for a data SIM you have to follow a procedure to register a new SIM card and I don’t want to risk it, especially with strange things happening to my tickets already and no response from EMTG about it after 2 weeks. 

As for passports, they were mentioned during the domestic sale on the Ticket Pia website which was pretty full-on about scaring people with the threat of random ID checks at any time inside the venue during the week but there was nothing mentioned about it to foreigners until yesterday and still it wasn’t mentioned publicly.

So much of this could have been handled with a few customer service contacts made available to foreign fans. To go weeks without anyone answering our questions, to actually arrive in Japan before anyone from EMTG can sort out the technical glitches with tickets that people have obtained with their own account, it’s unbelievable for such a major event.

I guess we’ll know on Monday morning what happens. Thanks for your support. 

@SparkleSalad I can't say I'm familiar with the ticketing system they use but if it's tied to your SIM card that is, indeed, some next-level bullshit and you have my total sympathy. Then again, all of the major ticketing services did start to require that accounts be tied to phone numbers in the last year or so... which means that they could just be trying to ensure the same level of accountability.

My gut feeling (absolutely positively not speaking in any official capacity) is that they are familiar with this sort of situation and will be prepared, to a certain extent, to look the other way, if for no other reason than nobody wants to deal with a herd of angry/sobbing foreigners at the entrance.

As for passports, they were mentioned during the domestic sale on the Ticket Pia website which was pretty full-on about scaring people with the threat of random ID checks at any time inside the venue during the week but there was nothing mentioned about it to foreigners until yesterday and still it wasn’t mentioned publicly.

One good thing in your favor is that if they're threatening people with random checks, it's more of a Cover Your Ass thing. If they were absolutely going to check everyone's ID they would have said it from the very start of ticket sales.

14 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

So much of this could have been handled with a few customer service contacts made available to foreign fans. To go weeks without anyone answering our questions, to actually arrive in Japan before anyone from EMTG can sort out the technical glitches with tickets that people have obtained with their own account, it’s unbelievable for such a major event.

If I had a nickel for every time I've said this about anything ticket-related in this country! If it makes you feel any better it's not just figure skating - baseball, soccer, pro wrestling (actually pro wrestling might be the best at dealing with foreign fans), rugby (see the World Cup ticketing issues in the last few months), concerts, it's incompetence all the way up and down.