Team Russia

Guest turquoiseblue

Evgenia Medvedeva about her “Anna Karenina” free program

Zhenya, why did you decide to change your free program and chose “Anna Karenina”?

Initially, we did “Anna Karenina” as an exhibition program. The first time I skated it was in Japanese show. According to the reaction of the public, it was immediately clear that everyone liked the program. I also felt this artistic image. Very beautiful and strong music from the movie “Anna Karenina”, which penetrates into me, in which I really dissolve. Our entire coaching team liked this exhibition program and then for the first time someone said, why not take Karenina for the free program?

It would be wrong to say that the previous arbitrary program, choreographed by Ilia Averbukh, did not work for me.  On the contrary, at the tournament “Ondrej Nepela” it got very good viewers reviews and was highly appreciated by judges and experts.  However, the artistic image of Karenina touched me so much that I decided to change. Together with the coaches we came to the conclusion that free program “Anna Karenina” will be preferable for me in the Olympic season.

Remind, please, who choreographed “Anna Karenina”?

– Daniel Gleyhengauz. But I want to add that I like Averbukh’s free program. I did not put it in the back box, I do not rule out that in the future I will return to it.

Performance at the “Japan Open”, judging by the scores, confirmed the correctness of this decision?

– PCS for “Anna Karenina” were higher. And I repeat that this program is very convenient for me to skate. I fell in love with the artistic image of the heroine long time ago.  I think, the program is a success. Although, it’s not for us to judge, but for the judges and people who lie figure skating. arbitrators and lovers of figure skating.

Guest turquoiseblue

ZAHORSKI & GUERREIRO — A FRESH START

In May 2017, the Moscow-based team announced they had made a coaching change and had begun working with Svetlana Alexeeva and Elena Kustarova. “It was something that we had been thinking about for awhile,” Guerreiro said. “We are grateful for what our former coaches gave us over the two years we worked with them. We tried to make it work, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.”

Zahorski agreed, adding that though the change was sudden, it was not unexpected. “We had a few different points of view with our coaches and felt the environment was no longer beneficial to our skating. I was excited and motivated to try something new.”

Guerreiro had previously worked with the new coaching team, but was forced to leave when he and a former partner, Ekaterina Riazanova, split in 2009. “I had no choice but to go to another group where there was a girl for me to compete with. But I always maintained a good relationship with Svetlana and Elena, so there were never any hard feelings. Once we made the decision, they where thrilled. They kept saying ‘finally, Jon is back home.’

“It’s a good environment and everybody has the same goal. So far everything is moving smoothly, and with a bit of luck we will be able to show ourselves in a new light this year.”

Former U.S. ice dance champion Peter Tchernyshev choreographed a new free dance set to a medley of tunes by the English rock band Muse. “This is the first time we have had a choreographer and we hope that it will bring us that extra little something to make our program magical,” Zahorski said. “We fell in love with the music the moment we heard it. After having had the same free dance for the past two years we were more than ready for a new one.”

“The level in ice dance is so high right now, so our goal is to not only skate strong and place well, but to make sure we are remembered. We love skating and performing and we really want to finally show that and make this season special.”

In the three years they have been a team, Zahorski, 23, and Guerreiro, 26, have formed a strong bond. Guerreiro said that going through the ordeal of the release and citizenship with his partner forged a solid friendship. “We really had to be there for each other to comfort one another. It was very tough, but it made us stronger together. I think we really understand each other and have a great bond on and off the ice. We understand each other sometimes without talking.”

Zahorski agreed. “Our connection is one of our best qualities. It’s only been three years, but it feels like a lifetime. This enables us to have a fabulous working environment.”

“We plan to be a new upgraded version of ourselves with new coaches, new programs and a slightly new style this season. Last season was a bit of a whirlwind for us, but we managed to be successful and I would say we were satisfied.

“I believe the main thing we have to do to improve our placement is to work hard and believe in ourselves.”

2 часа назад, anyanee сказал:

I'm sorry if this a bit late and off Topic. I'm curious about evgenia's clinical death program.

I don't know what is clinical death means. I've heard some people talk about it and I suspect of a gloomy things but I have no idea.Thx for answers. > <

From Wiki: "Clinical death is the medical term for cessation of blood circulation and breathing, the two necessary criteria to sustain human and many other organisms' lives. It occurs when the heart stops beating in a regular rhythm, a condition called cardiac arrest".

You can be saved even after the clinical death (doctors can restart the heartbeat, for example). But time is limited: in three minutes the brain will die.

So, in general, Zhenya's program is a story of a soul that leaves the body after a clinical death, but finally returns (that's why we can hear "come back" in the middle of the program and a deep sigh at the end).

15 minutes ago, Mastyaeva said:

From Wiki: "Clinical death is the medical term for cessation of blood circulation and breathing, the two necessary criteria to sustain human and many other organisms' lives. It occurs when the heart stops beating in a regular rhythm, a condition called cardiac arrest".

You can be saved even after the clinical death (doctors can restart the heartbeat, for example). But time is limited: in three minutes the brain will die.

So, in general, Zhenya's program is a story of a soul that leaves the body after a clinical death, but finally returns (that's why we can hear "come back" in the middle of the program and a deep sigh at the end).

I get it! Thank you very much!! 

Evgenia Medvedeva is featured in the latest episode of Ice Talk, here:

http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Description:

Olympic champion and NBC broadcaster Tara Lipinski joins host Jackie Wong to analyze the competition at this week's Skate Canada. Then, two-time reigning world champion Evgenia Medvedeva, fresh off her victory at the Rostelecom Cup, explains why she changed programs after the Ondrej Nepela Trophy and talks about her love of anime.

I haven't listened yet but apparently she says she'll have a surprise for Japanese fans. Speculation that it might be a Yuri on Ice EX for NHK or GPF has surfaced but I'm not sure she specifies what the surprise is.