Team Russia

17 minutes ago, Fay said:

I guess these people have never seen Yulia Lipnitskaya spin, right? It’s her trademark bielmann. 

Haven't watched Lipnitskaya in juniors, but this Biellmann seems faster than hers, and the way she transitions into the Bielmann seems especially harder.

ETA: She also holds it longer, and accentuates the note with change in the position of her torso :O

36 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Haven't watched Lipnitskaya in juniors, but this Biellmann seems faster than hers, and the way she transitions into the Bielmann seems especially harder.

ETA: She also holds it longer, and accentuates the note with change in the position of her torso :O

Not sure about harder - Yulia didn’t hold her foot when doing the first version of her layback, and her layback was very impressive. And her speed was pretty good when she was smaller - and she got into the final position in no time. Slowed understandably when she got older. Held the position for two rotations, as it was customary at that time. 

But anyway, here in Russia the needle spin is often called Lipnitskaya spin because she was the first one here to use it (by no means the first one to introduce it, there’d been someone else) - she found it more comfortable for herself than the conventional bielmann.  There were a few other girls who took up the position like Elizaveta Nugumanova. But it’s harder to keep it up with the age, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Fay said:

Not sure about harder - Yulia didn’t hold her foot when doing the first version of her layback, and her layback was very impressive. And her speed was pretty good when she was smaller - and she got into the final position in no time. Slowed understandably when she got older. Held the position for two rotations, as it was customary at that time. 

But anyway, here in Russia the needle spin is often called Lipnitskaya spin because she was the first one here to use it (by no means the first one to introduce it, there’d been someone else) - she found it more comfortable for herself than the conventional bielmann.  There were a few other girls who took up the position like Elizaveta Nugumanova. But it’s harder to keep it up with the age, I guess. 

Haha they defo tried to make her look like Sasha Cohen as a junior. I agree juniors will be more flexible and faster with spins. For the transition into Biellmann, Lipnitskaya did go straight up into the position which itself is hard, it just looked like Valieva made a hard position during the transition, but I could be wrong because it's too quick!

1 minute ago, hoodie axel said:

Haha they defo tried to make her look like Sasha Cohen as a junior. I agree juniors will be more flexible and faster with spins. For the transition into Biellmann, Lipnitskaya did go straight up into the position which itself is hard, it just looked like Valieva made a hard position during the transition, but I could be wrong because it's too quick!

I am not sure, Yulia wouldn’t have heard of Sasha. The thing is that her trademark spins were largely developed because she found them more comfortable than others. “Why do I have to risk cutting my hand on my blade if I can hold my leg by the ankle and straighten it thanks to my gumbiness” 

they stood out back then along with her spirals. Now there are more young skaters inspired by her and her predecessors. 

Her spins are still really good though....

38 minutes ago, Fay said:

I am not sure, Yulia wouldn’t have heard of Sasha.

I do not know if Lipnitskaya knew about her. But she has similar talents: neither is the best jumper, but both have great extension and spins. And Lipnitskaya somewhat resembles her. It could be that Eteri also noted all this, and then gave her some of the music Cohen used (Malaguena, nutcracker, R&J), but this could also just be me projecting :P

The thing is that her trademark spins were largely developed because she found them more comfortable than others. “Why do I have to risk cutting my hand on my blade if I can hold my leg by the ankle and straighten it thanks to my gumbiness” 

I had no idea about this. That's cool!

Now there are more young skaters inspired by her and her predecessors. 

Her spins are still really good though.... 

Nah, I agree they're still very good, I was just comparing out of curiosity.  And of course she's inspired many others. Her flexibility is still talked about to this day for a reason. :)

6 hours ago, Fay said:

I guess these people have never seen Yulia Lipnitskaya spin, right? It’s her trademark bielmann. 

The Twitter poster’s profile pic is Yulia, so I bet she knows about Yulia too. People are very encouraging about young talents, which is quite nice to see. :img_21: I do wish junior skaters from non big feds can get more recognition as well. 

Btw Yulia's Olympic video is the most viewed skating video on YouTube. 

She's obviously still working on this - it still needs work, but is improving.  I'm not going to fault her on working hard on a new piece; she hasn't been doing it for long. The choreography is good, but, I agree, she does need to hit those crashes better.  Based on what happens in the opera, how else do you want her to perform?

She isn't going "through the motions" - I can't see that at all.  This is a fantastic choice for her; she has to be "dramatic".

I don't know if you are doing this or not, but we shouldn't put down any of the Russian ladies who are involved in this mess.  I do think Liza should have gone, but I'm going to support the ladies who are going...their federation has made it difficult for all of them...

4 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Masaru is so big! Is Masaru still going to grow? (I don't know anything about akita dogs...)

Yes! It's still quite a young dog. Someone on this thread said they grow up to 65-70 cm from toe to shoulder iirc.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:04 AM, Figure_Frenzy said:

Akita dogs can grow real big, I think they can measure up to 70 cms (toe to shoulder) for male dogs and 64 cms for female dogs once matured :o :o