Team Russia

Olympics are upon us!

Who is going to come out of the Russian Hunger Games, ladies style, and go to PC 2018? Has Anna buried her chances with WCh 2017 FS meltdown? Is Radio returning? Can Zagitova build up enough rep to get her PCS up by the time Olympics hit?

The men are also interesting. Aliev is turning senior. Gachinski may be back. Kovtun had a massive metldown at WTT and while Kolyada seems steady and could progress further, the second spot seems truly up for grabs.

Is Russian Ice Dance totally out of the game?

I see Zhenia definitely at the Olympic

Same. It's why I didn't mention her in the OP, it's more to get the conversation going.

But with Zhenya the biggest question is, what does she do with the music? I was somewhat strengthened with Eteri's interview, especially when she mentioned they're even willing to bring in extra people if they get stuck because it sounds like she is at least open to things. I am sure Averbukh is pushing for some drama but it's just so risky. I am hoping they find some nice Korean music and he refuses to choreograph to it :lol:

Between the Russian ladies and the Japanese ladies nationals next season, it's going to be intense and tears are going to flow regardless because someone we like is likely to stay behind.

Except Evgenia. Ain't no holding her back. :cool:

One more question for ladies, would Adelina S come back for Olympic season? I mean, like in real not in words :coffee:

Yes, Adelina is training now with Plushenko. She's trying to stage a comeback, how well that'll go is anyone's guess. The competition is fierce and with her return, it may be even more so. We have to wait and see how it all goes the first few times she competes.

I don't quite believe Adelina's coming back, to tell the truth. And she does, she's unlikely to make it to the Russian Team - too many better trained rivals.

I'm wondering about Radionova and her transfer to Buyanova - seems to be a desperate bid for her to get on that team.

I'll sit in the corner and cry about Julia forever...

I was somewhat strengthened with Eteri's interview, especially when she mentioned they're even willing to bring in extra people if they get stuck because it sounds like she is at least open to things. I am sure Averbukh is pushing for some drama but it's just so risky.

Yes, I found her words very promising. Maybe she doesn't like so much attention revolving around Averbukh's choices. It is a distraction.

I am still waiting for Evgenia to develop her personal artistry further. Even though I'm not completely sold on what she's doing yet, I have been defending her on GS. Her Sailor Moon exhibition is getting criticized, and I find that pretty ridiculous. Nothing wrong with a crowdpleasing gala piece.

The other spots...??? maybe something like

[A] Zagitova

Radionova, Sotskova

[C] Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva

[D] Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova

Fay said:
I'm wondering about Radionova and her transfer to Buyanova - seems to be a desperate bid for her to get on that team.

I'll sit in the corner and cry about Julia forever...

That's pretty much what I thought of that Radio transfer too!

Do we know anything about Yulia? Didn't look promising the last time I was looking at new info.

beki said:
I am still waiting for Evgenia to develop her personal artistry further. Even though I'm not completely sold on what she's doing yet, I have been defending her on GS. Her Sailor Moon exhibition is getting criticized, and I find that pretty ridiculous. Nothing wrong with a crowdpleasing gala piece.

She's still very young, it'll take time. Her various EX programs seem to indicate to me that she's willing to experiment and this is the one place where she can. Otherwise, she still doesn't really have all that much pull to take control of her programs.

I honestly don't get what the issue is with Sailor Moon. It's a fun EX, perfect for a 17yo and she sells it completely; I mean it was so obvious she had loads of fun skating to it, singing along. All the talk about empty or not appropriate ... it's a Gala by a teen! Oi.

No information about Yulia. I'm afraid she might choose to r****.

Zhenya's great, but I wish they'd try to package her with something different. Something subtler. Sailor Moon was cheesy, but fun! And it was appropriate for that audience, what's the fuss about.

I do hope they find something more suitable to Kolyada - the guy looks lovely on his skates, but those programs were trashy. He'd outgrown them long ago!