Team Russia

Guest turquoiseblue

WADA still monitoring Russia ahead of expiration of ban
Reuters
20 September 2022

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) are still monitoring testing operations in Russia ahead of the decision on whether to reinstate the country, despite complications caused by the Ukraine war, president Witold Banka said on Tuesday.

The existing two-year ban from international sport imposed by WADA on Russia for widespread, state-sponsored infringements of doping regulations expires at the end of the year.

Some Russians have continued to compete internationally as "neutral" athletes, including at the last two Olympic Games, but the isolation of the country after the start of the war further complicated the process of ensuring doping compliance.

Banka, who reiterated WADA's condemnation of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which Moscow calls a "special military operation", said the organisation was still able to monitor the work of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA).

"We have an open line communication with RUSADA to make sure that the war is not a paradise for cheats," the Pole told reporters at WADA's Global Education Conference in Sydney.

"We monitor them closely to see what they are doing ... we didn't close this line of communication.

"So what will be in the next weeks, months, due to the war and the situation in Ukraine, and the Russian situation, is hard to predict.

"We have to wait for the end of the year, we monitor what they are doing, let's see in the next weeks or months what happens in terms of (readmitting) them to the system."

RUSADA this week said it had completed its investigation into figure skater Kamila Valieva's positive test and would soon be organising hearings on the case.

"We know the date when the hearing is so we have to wait until the decision and then WADA will decide what to do," Banka added.

"We are monitoring this issue very closely and last month I expressed my will that they have to accelerate the process. Now that we know the hearing could be very soon. Let's see."

On 9/21/2022 at 4:34 PM, Pammi said:

I only saw this on Twitter today. T*L ghouled its way into my feed with a thumbnail of Samarin in a uniform. 

Honestly, words can't even begin to express my dismay. Everything about this situation, from the invasion onward, simply should never have happened, and is an abysmal tragedy. 

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I only saw this on Twitter today. T*L ghouled its way into my feed with a thumbnail of Samarin in a uniform. 

Honestly, words can't even begin to express my dismay. Everything about this situation, from the invasion onward, simply should never have happened, and is an abysmal tragedy. 

I was about to "like" your post above, but cannot possibly like the situations you describe. It is indeed an enormous tragedy on many fronts and pulls innocent people into this vicious cycle..even figure skaters who have dedicated their lives to perfecting their sport :(

10 minutes ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

I was about to "like" your post above, but cannot possibly like the situations you describe. It is indeed an enormous tragedy on many fronts and pulls innocent people into this vicious cycle..even figure skaters who have dedicated their lives to perfecting their sport :(

And it's all so pointless ☹️

• 3 weeks later...

...and I like this even less than the post above!

Yes Kamila is protected as a child, but all the responsible adults are protected too as a result! :animated-smileys-angry-041:

• 3 weeks later...
30 минут назад, Pammi сказал:

Also what about Team Tut?? and the prescribing doctor? Valieva is a child, she obv did not do this alone...

It’s interesting that there is a law in Russia against coaches and doctors who forced sportsmen to take doping. I haven’t heard that someone was convicted since the appearance of this law in 2016.