Team Russia

Kostornaia

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL181IBpjwZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

“I’m upset, not everything worked out in the free program, maybe three or four elements. In the short one it didn’t work at all, but I had to deal with it somehow. I’m glad that I could just go out and perform,” said Kostornaya. “The general meaning of my free program - a girl through time, at the beginning I show the present with sharp, clear lines of what is happening. The second part is the past, I reach for memories, there should be many small smooth movements, but they did not work out, there was a goal - light at the end tunnel, and you need to go to it. The third part is the future, I run, move towards it. Hopefully, this program can be skated next season to show what it really is. "

The final of the Russian Cup is the final stage of the selection for the team for the World Championship, which will be held in March in Stockholm. “It would be a shame for any athlete not to get to the World Championships, last season I should have got there unconditionally, but this is how it works out in sports - you gain something, you lose something, and you don't have to build the end of the world out of it. I want to skate, "said the athlete.

The skater noted that she cannot yet imagine her life without sports. "I said that I would finish after the Olympic season, and now I think that it is already so close. Why not continue if my health allows it? I just cannot imagine my life without figure skating.
The feeling that you are on the podium, that you are great , this will not be enough, I am now inclined to skate as long as I can do it ", - added Kostornaya

Mayn't it alleviate some weight on Mishail Kolyada's shoulders?

I mean, there's no way he can get Gold or Silver unless either one of the two evident ones withdraw or have a complete splatfest (no such history from any of them; PyeongChang for Nathan Chen is Prehistory, not History), so he can't win a third spot for Russian Men alone, and everybody can see that.

The only hope of a third spot, would be that he gets a very good rank and the second skater another very good rank even if lower.

Is it only possible with Evgeni Semenenko? Can he be in the top 10? (remembering that if he's 10th, Misha Kolyada must get Bronze and it would need tremendoud luck)

Doesn't it tell in advance that Men Skaters from Russia will have two spots?

3 часа назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Doesn't it tell in advance that Men Skaters from Russia will have two spots?

If they just maintain two spots it will already be a good result. At this point not much difference who to send really, it's not like someone showed good results consistently.

Are there normally alternates in the Russian Worlds team?

And what is the practical difference between being in the National team, and being in the Reserve?

Tatiana Tarasova seems to consider Alena Kostornaia's place there at stake (as others) :

https://rsport.ria.ru/20210301/kostornaya-1599498998.html

Assuming Alina Zagitova leaves the National team (she is no more fit to compete at the level of the Russian Ladies field next season), and the National Team is not extended, there is not space enough for "the 3A", Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Kamila Valieva, Daria Usacheva and Maiia Khromykh.

When must the decision be taken, by the way?

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This is why I like Mishin. He's ridiculous but sometimes pretty awesome 

At this point,  I might just be rooting for Liza to win, tbh. 

I would love her to win simply because the DRAMA would be be epically entertaining. The forums in Russia and elsewhere would go into meltdown :ohmygod:

6 minutes ago, TallyT said:

I would love her to win simply because the DRAMA would be be epically entertaining. The forums in Russia and elsewhere would go into meltdown :ohmygod:

At least she's among the four "evident medallable" Ladies. We can't even have a big Young You surprise as she's not in the Korean team.

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

I just want her to win because she's an actual adult and not a baby dressed up in adult clothes, but yes, it would be hugely entertaining. 

9 часов назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Are there normally alternates in the Russian Worlds team?

And what is the practical difference between being in the National team, and being in the Reserve?

Tatiana Tarasova seems to consider Alena Kostornaia's place there at stake (as others) :

https://rsport.ria.ru/20210301/kostornaya-1599498998.html

Assuming Alina Zagitova leaves the National team (she is no more fit to compete at the level of the Russian Ladies field next season), and the National Team is not extended, there is not space enough for "the 3A", Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Kamila Valieva, Daria Usacheva and Maiia Khromykh.

When must the decision be taken, by the way?

The article is not about Worlds team, it's about next season Nats team which is around top 5-6 skaters I think, I don't remember if seniors and juniors are counted separately. Mainly financial part depends if you're on Nats team or not, you still can compete even if you're not on the main team though.

54 minutes ago, Lunna said:

The article is not about Worlds team, it's about next season Nats team which is around top 5-6 skaters I think, I don't remember if seniors and juniors are counted separately. Mainly financial part depends if you're on Nats team or not, you still can compete even if you're not on the main team though.

Thank you! This is well what I mean (and the object of Tatiana Tarasova's intervention). The National Team has 6 members now (all Senior, the Reserve I don't remember) and for next year, there are 7 Ladies at the top. "Too many Ladies", would say Elizabeth Bennet. Or not. Does a member of the National Reserve receive less support than a member of the National Team?

53 минуты назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Does a member of the National Reserve receive less support than a member of the National Team?

Might be it, I don't really know details, cuz financial support goes via sport clubs/schools, part might go via regional government, so it's complicated.