Team Russia

It's a good PR move on Eteri's part. It brings the conversation back to her, away from Plushenko, and in a good way. If Zhenya skates well in her upcoming events, it'll look like Eteri got her there. Plus, being the one to offer help really makes Eteri look like the bigger person. It helps them both out (Zhenya needs the politicking to get through her events so she can go to nationals). 

Well, I think the result of this change may be already visible this weekend at the Cup of Russia. Let's wait and see. I'm trying to stay away from the drama and just hope Zhenya will be ok. Maybe Eteri is not such a bad option for her considering the circumstances. The back injury everyone is talking about seems to be quite serious though, I find it much more disturbing right now. If it gets worse... :sigh:

How surprising. Medvedeva is going back to the coach who broke her back and who can't help her to have a long career, who couldn't make her improve, in a rink where she wasn't happy. I guess she doesn't want a long career anymore and can be unhappy again.

Still, I think it's just temporary while she can't have proper training with BO. But who knows, she might consider long-term change if it yields good result this ss=))

Btw, I wonder if Eteri would take her if Trusova and Alyona still stayed. It's ironic how Evgenia left as the group was too crowded with 3A, now 2A left and she's going back to Eteri lol

7 minutes ago, Yume said:

How surprising. Medvedeva is going back to the coach who broke her back and who can't help her to have a long career, who couldn't make her improve, in a rink where she wasn't happy. I guess she doesn't want a long career anymore and can be unhappy again.

She seems to be fixated on the OGM she thought was hers and running roughshod over anyone and anything in her way for the next one.

Again sorry, but I'm finally and totally fed up by all her dramatics since March.

Pandemic led decisions.  She can’t go to Canada, has to compete in Russia so needs a Russian coach.  Eteri has space, it’s probably better PR wise for both than Med going to another Russian coach.   Can’t say it sounds like the best choice for her health but the pandemic has boxed her in.  

3 hours ago, Fay said:

She is back to Tutberidze. LOL. 
awright. 

ok, colour me not surprised....indeed, I'm utterly shocked:eek:

it was clear that distance coaching was going to be hard, but..WUT?

Thinking about it in the most detatched way I can:  Zhenya was still representing that school, so, if she couldn't be in TCC, it makes sense for her to use "her" training rink, instead of being hosted somewhere else (also financially probably a more sustainable solution for her AND the fed, especially with ice shows cancelled). When she was training at Buianova's rink, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better getting ice time at Sambo, though I did wonder what other team other than Eteri could "oversee" her training

I can also understand that working with people/environment she's familiar with (despite how sour things had got) can be a plus...

....but can Eteri really offer her what she needs, aside a boost in rep? 

With a chronic back injury, the usual training method based on repetitions can only make things worse. And I really hope she isn't getting unhealthy advices about her diet and weight:/

I know Eteri team helped Anna (and Alina too, and for a while Polina) recover back to their best form after big injuries, but they were younger, and a chronic injury is different from a broken leg, so they've never been in this positon. Tursynbayeva iirc had struggled with back injuries during her years at TCC and yet Eteri brought her to WC medal with 4S, but then a few months later her health issues caught up with her...

5 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

....but can Eteri really offer her what she needs, aside a boost in rep?

What boost in rep, c'mon. She just recently won SP with huge score against Trusova at CoR. And it's the smallest out of all support she got in last 2 seasons.

10 minutes ago, Paskud said:

What boost in rep, c'mon. She just recently won SP with huge score against Trusova at CoR. And it's the smallest out of all support she got in last 2 seasons.

well, if she were to repeat test skates (I expect better than that, she'll not be giving up on anything in actual comp, but if she were) she'll need a further big boost

ETA: in case it wasn't clear, I'm not saying she hasn't been getting big boosts all the same these past two seasons, for what she put on the ice. But I can see new narratives of "going back home" + Eteri getting her a further push that no other coach could give.