Team Russia

51 minutes ago, Fay said:

The girl has grown quite a bit. It looks heavier than before. Do you think she can carry those quads into her late teens? 

Seems unlikely,, but I don't think we can say anything for sure. Ladies' quads is really an unknown territory. Maybe yes, if she will focus on one/two types. But that another unlikely thing.😅

55 minutes ago, Fay said:

The girl has grown quite a bit. It looks heavier than before. Do you think she can carry those quads into her late teens? 

I don’t think she will ever give up on quads though... I can’t imagine her skating without quads, we know she loves them so much

18 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

It took me a second to realise it's not Alexandra Stepanova the ice dancer but an ex-figure skater who has the same name...I was wondering what did Alexandra want to do with Tutberidze?! :laughing:

She criticises Eteri's group a lot although she hasn't really trained with her, she decided not to join the team, or she claims so. But I wouldn't be surprised there was truth in what she says.

4 hours ago, Paskud said:

it's URed

She's skating too slow and has no momentum to carry through the combo. If there's one thing I hope Plush can teach her, it's to skate with sufficient speed. Then maybe the other problems will also get better. Sufficient speed = enough momentum to fully rotate 4 turns, for example. At least that's what the physics would suggest. 

Yuzu has spoiled me for anyone else. He's so darn fast on the ice that everyone else looks like a turtle by comparison. But after watching him, it really opens your eyes to how essential having good speed is for things like jumps. 

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

She's skating too slow and has no momentum to carry through the combo. If there's one thing I hope Plush can teach her, it's to skate with sufficient speed. Then maybe the other problems will also get better. Sufficient speed = enough momentum to fully rotate 4 turns, for example. At least that's what the physics would suggest. 

Yuzu has spoiled me for anyone else. He's so darn fast on the ice that everyone else looks like a turtle by comparison. But after watching him, it really opens your eyes to how essential having good speed is for things like jumps. 

The greater the speed, the harder it gets to control the jump. This is where having a reliable technique comes to the fore. And according to Plushenko, she doesn’t really have it. 

2 hours ago, Fay said:

If she builds up strength and gets the right technique going, in theory there's no reason she couldn't. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

The greater the speed, the harder it gets to control the jump. This is where having a reliable technique comes to the fore. And according to Plushenko, she doesn’t really have it. 

true but you get so much back in return - more height, more rotation, more flow coming out the other side. At least, that's what I see with Yuzu anyway. Kolyada too, come to think of it. 

And I can see why Plush said that - she's still windmilling. 

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

right but if you can't do the jump then it's all moot

True, I'm going on the assumption that you pretty well have to build up all of it together - the speed, the technique, and the strength to control it all. presumably Plush understands that and will pass it on to his skaters.

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

True, I'm going on the assumption that you pretty well have to build up all of it together - the speed, the technique, and the strength to control it all. presumably Plush understands that and will pass it on to his skaters.

It's often a balance; going slower makes it easier to control like Fay said but you'd have to compensate by muscling more or swinging your arms more to get the momentum...whereas going fast means you get the momentum effortlessly but it's way harder to get the timing right. you're more likely to, say, pop the jump or just not be able to do it at all

of course skaters know this but learning to time your muscles to milliseconds precision is not something all of them can do