Team Russia

3 hours ago, Paskud said:

Plot twist: this is Plushenko's grande finale.

:13877886:

My final word on women's quads, and women's skating in general: I just don't buy into the age narrative and this crappy sexist  idea that as a woman, you're washed up at 18. It's utter tripe. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

What I'm thinking is that, with people like the 3 A's having multiple quads, if, as a woman skater, you are going to pursue quads, then you have to go all in and try to get more than one. Or get one plus a really, really good triple axel. It's not enough to just have one. 

Anyway, if anyone can get Zhenya to the point of jumping a quad, it's the TCC crew. People said it was impossible for Jason, and here he is with a working 4S. 

Jason has always been "working" on a quad. For years and years and years. Nothing's changed, lol.

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

What I'm thinking is that, with people like the 3 A's having multiple quads, if, as a woman skater, you are going to pursue quads, then you have to go all in and try to get more than one. Or get one plus a really, really good triple axel. It's not enough to just have one. 

Anyway, if anyone can get Zhenya to the point of jumping a quad, it's the TCC crew. People said it was impossible for Jason, and here he is with a working 4S. 

For an Olympic medal (or even assignment, in Russia), certainly.

For a GPF (not medal), wouldn't one quad or a 3A suffice?

13 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

before he went to TCC, yes, and it was underrotated: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gpusa2016/gpusa2016_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

I researched a bit more, and as of US Nationals this year, he's made 17 attempts at quads in  competition, 3 of which were awarded full rotation. 

So okay, maybe not the greatest, but he's getting there. 

I just don't think it's correct or fair to discount and dismiss any athlete's determination and hard work and years of perseverance out of hand with " Oh they're dreaming, they're too old, they're never gonna make it, they should just give up already and make room for the young'uns". The fact is, quads have only been jumped in competition for about 30 years now. That's hardly long enough to know if there's really an age limit on when you can gain one as an elite skater. 

I think the human body is an astounding thing, capable of so much more than we know. It behooves no one to say something is impossible for an athlete who is working hard at it. 

After all, Yuzu has been talking about and working at 4A for years, and he's 25, but no one here is saying he's never going to get there. So why say it for Zhenya? As long as she doesn't give up on trying, the possibility is there.  

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I researched a bit more, and as of US Nationals this year, he's made 17 attempts at quads in  competition, 3 of which were awarded full rotation. 

Thanks for doing the research. Do you know which competitions? I was under the impression that he's never done it in an ISU-sanctioned competition.

As for possibilities, of course, it's definitely possible for both Jason and Zhenya. But it's gonna take a lot of hard work and luck, that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Thanks for doing the research. Do you know which competitions? I was under the impression that he's never done it in an ISU-sanctioned competition.

As for possibilities, of course, it's definitely possible for both Jason and Zhenya. But it's gonna take a lot of hard work and luck, that's for sure.

I pulled the info from this article, which cites skatingscores.com:

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/01/24/jason-brown-national-championships/

To find the info on Skating Scores, it's not obvious...looks like it requires clicking through every protocol from Jason's competitions to find it. 

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Is that from the tabloid article or from something more reputable? 

That was her interview, after all. It sorta pretends to be her words. 
now the circumstances are less than decent, anyway. Those who train at home in their countries have the upper hand. And Canada is the worst place to for foreign students who found themselves outside Canada... how quickly things change! 

25 минут назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

I just don't think it's correct or fair to discount and dismiss any athlete's determination and hard work and years of perseverance out of hand with " Oh they're dreaming, they're too old, they're never gonna make it, they should just give up already and make room for the young'uns". The fact is, quads have only been jumped in competition for about 30 years now. That's hardly long enough to know if there's really an age limit on when you can gain one as an elite skater. 

I don't want to dismiss any athlete's determination and hard work but more times then not you just can't change your technique much in older age. Medo never had great technique and Jason seems like lacks rotation speed. But of course only time will tell.

4 hours ago, IULIANA said:

I think we agree to disagree. Tuktyk`s jump technique is totally different from Med`s. Just think of the Lutzes of these two and you have the picture. The only quad sal Med is going to have is the one she draws on insta. But again maybe I am too harsh and have no hope for her evolution the way some people thought to be. And yes, a quad , a good fully rotated, with minimum pr quad is worth, the field now is challenging for real. The only other story is the judging. And politicking, of course.

I think you're being realistic, actually.

Med could even lose her 'fixed' 2A when she was rattled in any way. This is why basic technique matters. Once your muscle memory recorded something, it took much more than sheer determination to reprogram it.

43 minutes ago, Lunna said:

I don't want to dismiss any athlete's determination and hard work but more times then not you just can't change your technique much in older age. Medo never had great technique and Jason seems like lacks rotation speed. But of course only time will tell.

Yeah.

15 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

After all, Yuzu has been talking about and working at 4A for years, and he's 25, but no one here is saying he's never going to get there. So why say it for Zhenya? As long as she doesn't give up on trying, the possibility is there.  

It`s kind of apples and oranges, no offense.

Regarding the Zhenya and quads topic:

I think it's hard to say whether or not she can eventually achieve one! I guess it will be harder for her to do it compared to Liza because Liza already has a 3A and all before she started working on quads, but I don't think it necessarily means it's impossible. Just because there isn't a 20 year old with Zhenya's technique who managed to achieve a quad before, it doesn't mean she can't be the first! Just because no one has done something before, it doesn't make it impossible. Before the first quad was landed (I believe it was by Kurt Browning) people didn't know if they were possible. Someone had to be the first one to do it before everyone could see that it's possible. Yuzu's 4A can be another example as well. It's a different issue of course, but all these feats just go to show that we never truly know if something is really impossible until someone does it! 

Sorry this kind of turned into a motivational speech :dontdothistome:

But of course whether or not it’s worth the injury risk and toll on her body is another thing...