Team Russia

She’s an adult , but a very young, inexperienced one who has led a very sheltered life which she has only recently broken away from.  I don’t agree at all with what she’s doing- tbh it looks like the behaviour of a spoiled brat, especially when compared with the Japanese skaters who are being so supportive of the health measures in a very low key way and the Canadians who have been so cheerfully stoical.  However she’s young and she has a management team who should either be restraining her if she’s the tin ear in the company, or who she should be ditching if this has been their advice.  I don’t think any country has actually been forcibly repatriating it’s citizens ( though I’ve been reading about quite a few individuals who made bad decisions to stay a bit too long too far from home and rather wish their governments had been) so expecting Russia to load them all onto a jet out of there is not being realistic- this might feel like a disaster film but it’s real life and governments have bigger issues to deal with.  

She needs to pull back fast and stay off social media.  This is not a time for personal aggrandisement.

I still think this situation is salvageable if she apologizes now and hops on the next chartered flight back to Russia. We're all willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for not understanding the severity given how unusual this situation has been for everyone and the cultural/language barrier. In fact, many of us will respect her for being able to admit that she's wrong. But it looks like she closed all Instagram comments and deleted her Twitter, so seems like she's staying? If that's the case I hope she at least learned to stay in her hotel and not go traveling to other cities in search for ice.

12 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I don't think any govt has been demandinthe return of its citizens because of the virus, including Russia? I think many of them offer chartered flights for people who do want to come home but are stranded, but if you don't want to leave, I hardly think they keep track of every citizen of theirs and are able to force them on a plane, nor do I think they would try.

Canada very nearly did. Right before they closed the borders, Canadians abroad were urged in the strongest possible terms to get their heinies home ASAP, or take their chances. 

And since governments are the ones that issue passports, they most certainly can rescind them and send their citizens home as well. Carrying a passport is a privilege, not a right. 

That being said, I'm making a bunch of assumptions about things as a way of trying to understand what her thought process might have been that led to the current situation. So I should stop, and I will. 

6 hours ago, Fay said:

And this is how her popularity in Japan flied off the window ... :disappointed: and okay she's 20 and inexperienced (she''s been in Japan hundreds of times tho...) but is she alone in there? No family, friends, someone to tell her that this is not the time for things like this ... a pity ...

5 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

And this is how her popularity in Japan flied off the window ... :disappointed: and okay she's 20 and inexperienced (she''s been in Japan hundreds of times tho...) but is she alone in there? No family, friends, someone to tell her that this is not the time for things like this ... a pity ...

I guess her mom is with her?

anyhow yes right now she's better to stay away from SNS and wait for the storm to pass....maybe later an apology or an explanation?

6 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

Canada very nearly did. Right before they closed the borders, Canadians abroad were urged in the strongest possible terms to get their heinies home ASAP, or take their chances. 

I think Russia too advised to return home before closing boarders, but it was not possible for all. A lot of people just couldn't find the flight or change the flight (you just couldn't reach to air company as all phone lines were busy and even on-line rebookings worked with errors), a lot of flights were just cancelled, because other countries already closed their boarders. Things really escalated quickly, it was really unusual situation.

6 часов назад, ralucutzagy сказал:

And this is how her popularity in Japan flied off the window ... :disappointed: 

I wonder how much it hit her popularity, did it was reported in any newspapers or just SNS? I don't know how closely Japanese follow SNS/twitter, I mean not die hard fans, but FS causal viewers, which are the most I guess.

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

I wonder how much it hit her popularity, did it was reported in any newspapers or just SNS? I don't know how closely Japanese follow SNS/twitter, I mean not die hard fans, but FS causal viewers, which are the most I guess.

Well, there is quite a lot of it on yahoo.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/search/?p=エフゲニア・メドベージェワ&ei=UTF-8&fr=news_sw

But no, I don't think it will hurt her popularity.

3 時間前, Lunnaさんが言いました:

Right now, her image is not good in Japanese FS fans, at least. Some fan discovered from an Instagram image that she had stayed in another prefecture before moving to Aomori. It seems that she was really hopping between prefectures for ice.

Most of the FS fans here are middle-aged and over women with a strong sense of responsibility. They are protecting their families from viruses, comforting their frustrated children at home, and cooking their husband's meals while working from home. Yesterday, a non-FS fan, casually created a survey on Twitter about what they thought of Medvedeva's trip to Aomori, as you can imagine, almost all the  people said it's unacceptable. Articles that were considered to be Med's PR were published on the internet news site, saying her beauty of dancing under the cherry blossoms, and introducing her foreign fans comments, such as, “The cherry blossom tree fits her program so well!”, “Her beauty is like a dream! “, “I'm glad to see her in good health!”..... Unlike her PR wishes, the comments were full of criticism of her actions and a voice hoping she would soon return to Russia. 

But all criticism is on the internet. Many people don't even know she's still in Japan, because it's not on TV news yet. I recommend that she returns home as soon as possible before this news becomes widespread.

My point about the video alone is not that bad. I do think some people overreacted abit, but in the middle of pandemic,  an outdoor video could be seen as a tone deaf action. There's a reason why most public figures ask people to stay home, because they have influence and they suppose to be the role model. The video is not that wrong but she should keep it to herself. And even if she fed up by that comment, just ignore or delete it in silent. Replying it rudely make people feel like she doesn't take Japanese people's concern properly. She's lucky that its not china, or else the blacklash would be way bigger. 

I don't think she's bad person because public figure make mistake on SNS very often. I can see Med and her team look out for what people say about her closely as she often respond quite fast and since its unlikely she would reduce her sns activity anytime soon,  its better to search for some professional advice.  Simple rule of SNS world, the more you talk, the more mistake you make. No sns, no mistake.  

As for her popularity, she's not that famous in Japan, its only FS community noticed and talked about this.

https://www.rt.com/sport/487544-medvedeva-not-training-coroanvirus-quarantine-japan-agent/

"The 'Golden Week' of holidays runs from April 29 to May 6 in Japan, and everything is closed. And I know through talking to Japanese people, that at that time there no one trains, including Medvedeva. I am positive that she is not training - Sport Express reported Zakaryan as saying.

Zakaryan also shed light on the reasons Medvedeva had travelled to and ended up staying in Japan despite recent tight travel restrictions due to the coronavirus crisis.

"Why did she go to Japan? She had a planned show 'Prism on Ice', and I think that at the moment of traveling, she considered that it would still take place.

"Another show - 'Fantasy on Ice' - was canceled only on April 20. Therefore there were reasons to be sure there would be no cancellation."

Then what is she doing in Japan in May?