Team Russia

Eteri isn't my favorite person but Alina doesn't look like she's in that bad of shape, not so injured she couldn't compete even if she wanted, nor forcibly pushed out despite still feeling the motivation to skate. Maybe she has some injuries but the main issue is that of motivation.

She has already won everything. Like she says, she has everything she wants in life and the hunger to win comes from something being missing, and right now nothing is missing. That's hardly a sad thing. Skaters wanting to move on from competitive sport because they are satisfied with their careers is hardly a bad thing.

Eteri probably told Alina (and she knows as much herself) that she needs to learn a quad or she won't be competitive anymore. And Alina decided she didn't have the motivation to do that (and maybe not the physical ability). It's not Eteri's fault that the Russian competitive landscape is what it is, and I doubt Alina wants to compete with all her might to get 4th place.

I wish her well in everything else she wants to do in life. There's a lot more to life than skating.

I believe Alina's decision had to come eventually in terms of her mental growth not just with the physical side. When she's young, being taught what to do and follow the instructions were easier without questioning too much. But as you're growing up, you'll develop a sense of oneself beyond what the current environment is allowing them. It's a real shame that we don't have many female skaters left to show how maturity can add more depth to their skating/performances. The essence of ladies figure skating that I adore is vanishing rapidly as more and more jump focused styles are rewarded unnecessarily. Doing big jumps in programs is great but the quality of skating itself should also be raised to have the overall effect more balanced and complete. Otherwise, squeezing a mop then wiping the floor with it theme continues and that's really not a pretty sight. 

On 12/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

If she does, it'll be under another coach, of that I'm sure. 

But maybe she's lost her zeal for competition. She doesn't seem to have the same fire of defiance in her that Zhenya does. 

Well, at this rate, who wants to lay odds that none of this year's crop of Eteri girls makes it to Beijing (WADA ban notwithstanding)?

possibly Zhenya has the fire because she didn't win the Olympics. if she had, she might have retired already. Alina got every important title. Yuzu is lucky with the 4A and his new challange to win over everybody, because he still has motivation after 2 OGM. possibly if he were in that culture, he woukd have given up, like Alina, Adelina, Julia and so on. the pressure is very high.

yep for Medo it's going to be a real battle and honestly from here I always had the feeling Tracy was the one with the real calming effect(especially with all this drama now and what a viper's nest rusfed is ),but I'm pretty sure Yuzuru is always Brian number one priority,hence the globetrotting comment....it seems Brian will go to Japan and then to Siberia.

edit : sorry but it's just come up in my Youtube videos and T*l just made a minivideo about Eteri/TAT/Plushenko titled War and Peace...not clicking on it but it made me LOL

1 hour ago, NorthernGrace01 said:

I love Ted's commentary in the Juniors so I'm very happy to hear that news. He's so supportive of all skaters, tries to be fair and an unbiased, knows when to shut up and is able to offer criticism without sounding catty or mean.

fair and unbiased? sure

1 hour ago, mercedes said:

yep for Medo it's going to be a real battle and honestly from here I always had the feeling Tracy was the one with the real calming effect(especially with all this drama now and what a viper's nest rusfed is ),but I'm pretty sure Yuzuru is always Brian number one priority,hence the globetrotting comment....it seems Brian will go to Japan and then to Siberia.

edit : sorry but it's just come up in my Youtube videos and T*l just made a minivideo about Eteri/TAT/Plushenko titled War and Peace...not clicking on it but it made me LOL

T*L must be cackling with glee over that mess since they live for drama. 

Incidentally the only bit of it I read was a translation of Plush's response to Eteri, and I was rather impressed at the sharpness of the man's pen. In his native tongue, he's definitely got a way with words. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

T*L must be cackling with glee over that mess since they live for drama. 

Incidentally the only bit of it I read was a translation of Plush's response to Eteri, and I was rather impressed at the sharpness of the man's pen. In his native tongue, he's definitely got a way with words. 

yes I'm sure those vultures can't barely believe how lucky they are :rolleyes:

and I read Plushenko response to Eteri too(in english of course )and like you I was really impressed,I've always thought we were way too dramatic but it seems we are in a good company ;-)

11 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think we can be impressed with Yana as well she's after all the mastermind behind Plushenko's entire business, I don't like her but this response was truly a good one *popcorn* :volcano:

1 hour ago, mercedes said:

yes I'm sure those vultures can't barely believe how lucky they are :rolleyes:

and I read Plushenko response to Eteri too(in english of course )and like you I was really impressed,I've always thought we were way too dramatic but it seems we are in a good company ;-)

In fact, reading what he wrote, it would seem we weren't dramatic enough.

I didn't save the link, but someone posted on Twitter that a sport journalist even contacted Putin's press secretary looking for a comment on Plush vs Tutberidze. 

Crazy times. 

:party0029: