Team Russia

This makes me wonder how if Liza had trained under different circumstances or was younger what a powerhouse she would have been. She's clearly an extremely talented jumper, possibly more innately talented than even Sasha, especially since her body type doesn't lend itself to quick rotation unlike Sasha's currently. But she "grew up" in a time when jumps were less emphasized, and when no one expected that a woman (especially a grown woman) could do a quad, so she didn't have the same opportunity to take advantage of her jumping talent. And now that she's older, she has a hard time receiving the same kind of support as youngsters.

I think we've gotten so used to these young girls landing big jumps with their back-wrap technique that we've forgotten that Midori and Tonya were around 20 when they landed their 3As and they used strength to do it. Ladies skaters just don't seem to get the chance (i.e.: the time in their ever-shortening careers) to grow strong enough to develop them (and I include quads here). None of those 15-year-olds are nearly as strong as the best of the older ladies. I know Trusova looks fit as, but it's not in a way that compares to how strong Tukta looks. I'm not surprised that Tukta has managed a quad. I also don't think we should be counting Zhenya out of the quad race just yet either. If anything, this is just going to make her even more determined. Rika too. 

If Tukta gets this 4T competition ready sooner rather than later and Rika finally gets her 4S in, things will get much more interesting because it'll become a battle of technique. Quality quads in the ladies might mean that the Eteri technique begins to lose some of its charm.

12 minutes ago, memae said:

I think we've gotten so used to these young girls landing big jumps with their back-wrap technique that we've forgotten that Midori and Tonya were around 20 when they landed their 3As and they used strength to do it. Ladies skaters just don't seem to get the chance (i.e.: the time in their ever-shortening careers) to grow strong enough to develop them (and I include quads here). None of those 15-year-olds are nearly as strong as the best of the older ladies. I know Trusova looks fit as, but it's not in a way that compares to how strong Tukta looks. I'm not surprised that Tukta has managed a quad. I also don't think we should be counting Zhenya out of the quad race just yet either. If anything, this is just going to make her even more determined. Rika too. 

If Tukta gets this 4T competition ready sooner rather than later and Rika finally gets her 4S in, things will get much more interesting because it'll become a battle of technique. Quality quads in the ladies might mean that the Eteri technique begins to lose some of its charm.

*cough* Ayaka *cough*

After the first half of the season (and the last one too), I'm pretty sure they just won't give it to Liza, even if she lands clean quad ans 3x3A. She's not the chosen one.

I can dream for now... oh how I would like it to happen.

The jump is very good, btw!

5 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Welp any protest against Russian inflation might be irrelevant and immaterial now...

Not quite

The skaters can compete if they are clean and it will work just the same as it did in 2018 Olys

We all know where they come from and just as importantly who their coaches are (I have no doubt at least 2 Eteri girls will make Olympics)

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Welp any protest against Russian inflation might be irrelevant and immaterial now...

ETA: But athletes who can prove they are untainted by the doping scandal will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

So like last Olympics.

They go into quite a bit of detail here 

28 minutes ago, airi said:

I understand it ofc because that is huge thing, but also feel bad for (clean) Russian skaters. Also when I think last time Stolbova and Bukin and their partners couldn't go bexause of it, and not sure why... :(

I'm sure there will be a lot of red tape but at least this time there's more time before the next Olympics to make sure clean athletes aren't affected.

2 hours ago, airi said:

I understand it ofc because that is huge thing, but also feel bad for (clean) Russian skaters. Also when I think last time Stolbova and Bukin and their partners couldn't go bexause of it, and not sure why... :(

God, I hope they will allow Ivan compete. :slinkaway:

Does anyone know if Aliev is okay? I was worried he hurt himself in the free at GPF.

Also, Zagitova withdrew from the Gala because of an injury from a fall in the free and she looked wrecked when she was announcing it to the crowd. She was so sad. Perhaps too sad for something as simple as missing a gala. I wonder if perhaps she's thinking her time is up. If she's unable to train for Russian Nationals and she is unlikely to make Montreal... Well, it seemed like she was in a pretty dark place when she was telling everyone she wasn't skating in the gala, like she's given up on herself (or Eteri has).