Team Russia

57 minutes ago, Fay said:

Maxim Kovtun is retiring. 

https://rsport.ria.ru/20190423/1552959541.html

Reveal hidden contents

He says he was more impressed by Yuzu’s performance at the Worlds than by Nathan’s, but he sadly thinks Yuzu has nowhere to grow as he thinks the danger of injuries is too great. And he’d rather see Yuzu skate than kill himself with 4A...

I'm sad he's retiring, I will miss him from competitions.

Maxim was such a talented skater, but the pressure was often so high on him and sadly he had many injuries in the past years too. It is a bit crazy that he won four Nationals title and he was a three-time Europeans medalist but he never went to the Olympic Games.

I wish him all the best in his civil life.

2 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Thank you for the translation. I'm genuinely going to miss seeing him in competitions.

(and he's been very supportive of Yuzu for while now... I hope they can still meet in ice shows or if Yuzu goes to COR. )

I hope so too that they can still meet in the future. He's been really supportive of Yuzu, perhaps because Max also came back many times after injuries. And they're from the same generation of skaters.

I already mentioned this over in the Team Canada thread, but I'll add it here too: 

I saw Evgenia skate in Stars On Ice Canada last night and she was very good! Her performances were wonderful, but I didn't know what to make of her jump technique. She was using both a lot of arm and a lot of leg to get into the jump. It looked kind of wild. She only tried a couple of jumps. 

Just wondering if anyone else has seen her jumps during the shows and if they can comment because that really confused me. It was like a hybrid technique of her old way and the new stuff she's been learning.

Other than that, she looked really healthy and happy and seemed to be having fun.

4 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I already mentioned this over in the Team Canada thread, but I'll add it here too: 

I saw Evgenia skate in Stars On Ice Canada last night and she was very good! Her performances were wonderful, but I didn't know what to make of her jump technique. She was using both a lot of arm and a lot of leg to get into the jump. It looked kind of wild. She only tried a couple of jumps. 

Just wondering if anyone else has seen her jumps during the shows and if they can comment because that really confused me. It was like a hybrid technique of her old way and the new stuff she's been learning.

Other than that, she looked really healthy and happy and seemed to be having fun.

Hmmm, considering she hadn’t been jumping for a while due to an injury, it might be due to that. But I guess her technique IS midways now. 

Did she jump anything apart from salchows? 

12 minutes ago, Fay said:

Hmmm, considering she hadn’t been jumping for a while due to an injury, it might be due to that. But I guess her technique IS midways now. 

Did she jump anything apart from salchows? 

I wish I could tell you, but when I watch skating live the jumps happen so fast I can't pick up on details like that. At least one was definitely a Sal. 

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I wish I could tell you, but when I watch skating live the jumps happen so fast I can't pick up on details like that. At least one was definitely a Sal. 

Ah, ok. Sal is her strongest jump, so sorta sad to hear she muscles it too. 

The girl has really not so much going for her except her willpower... 

14 minutes ago, Fay said:

Ah, ok. Sal is her strongest jump, so sorta sad to hear she muscles it too. 

The girl has really not so much going for her except her willpower... 

Well, I wouldn't say that. She does have some skills but they need re-grounding in the basics. If she had  those basics she'd be whole different skater.

Anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to say she's muscling into the Sal. It looked more like she had either forgotten some of the new techniques she learned this year, or that she was experimenting with trying to get more rotational power so she could quad. 

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Well, I wouldn't say that. She does have some skills but they need re-grounding in the basics. If she had started in the Canadian learn-to-skate system as a child, she'd have those basics. 

Anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to say she's muscling into the Sal. It looked more like she had either forgotten some of the new techniques she learned this year, or that she was experimenting with trying to get more rotational power so she could quad. 

Oh, ok. Or is that her idea of a technically powerful jump? Lol 

Well, I’d be more curious about her flip, because she used to slow down considerably before jumping one.