Team Russia

It is a different way to decide the world team, but it makes sense too. They want to choose the person rounding into form *now* closer to World's...the *hot* skater...

Pneumonia put the brakes on Liza's momentum. If she didnt get sick she was a lock for World's. Her biggest weapon is her 3A and if she doesn't have it, down goes her tech advantage and the PCS. RusFed wants results at World's and whoever does best here, esp between Liza and Med, then they go.... I feel it is really between them. If neither impresses, Stanislava goes, provided she remains consistent. 

Yes, its logic. Actually i would have love the same thing for Japanese olympic selection last season. It would have been better to put Wakaba and Kaori head-to-head at 4CC. That should happen when skaters are really tied and that there will be some unfairness no matter the decision.

But i guess that it's the first time in many many many years that Rusfed have to wait until Russian cup final to announce the worlds team.

20 hours ago, MeowZu said:

Much as I love Zhenya, I honestly think Liza deserves the spot. 

Same. Pneumonia was unfortunate but I also don’t think Mishin’s students fully realise their potential. I mean, Artur Gachinski? He had mad jumping skills and retired early after disappointing seasons (and he was Worlds bronze medalist in 2011). I honestly think Liza deserves much better.

I think we can continue the discussion in this topic from now on. There'll be a lot to talk about the next coming days too...

18 hours ago, Yume said:

I wonder if "the best shape at the moment" was a so important thing previous years. It would have been cool if Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and Tuktamysheva, olympic and world champions that they were, were given a last chance when they underperformed the next season.

2 hours ago, Yume said:

When was the last time that "the best shape at the moment" rule has been applied? In the last 10 years is there a skater or skaters who didn't skate well all the season, didn't medaled at Russian nats but get chosen? While another was left at home despite getting the best results and scores overall because she underperformed at her last competition?

I think that "rule" could have been applied in 2015-2016 season for example. Pogorilaya bombed her two GPs so didn't qualify for GPF, skated well at nats and won bronze, but bombed again at euros. Despite that, fed didn't give another chance to Sotnikova who was the next senior behind Pogorilaya at nats and internationally medaled in a GP when Pogorilaya didn't. Fortunately, because apparently fed thought that your past doesn't determine your future and this allowed Pogorilaya to put two superb performances on ice at worlds and win a medal.

So if the best shape at the moment wasn't so important back then, why it is now?

In the past ten years there weren't talented newly crowned European champions, two former world champions and one olympic champion competing against each other with improving or deteriorating forms during one season. I think you can't really compare the current situation to other seasons, this year is really unusual in many ways. Years ago it was obvious who would be sent to Worlds, the field wasn't that deep (not until ca 2012 at least).

ETA: The situation in 2015/16 was a bit different - Pogorilaya beat Sotnikova at the beginning of the season at an international competition. Then that’s true that she had a rough GP season, while Sotnikova medaled once , at GP Russia – but Adelina’s didn’t have a very good skate either (her TES was in the low 50s...) Then at Nationals it was obvious that Pogo was getting back into form while Adelina placed 6th with weaker programs in both SP and FS. At Europeans Pogo's programs scored higher than Sotnikova’s scores from GP. So it wasn't really a question who'll get the spot at Worlds even though the team was announced really late that season too, in the beginning March.

(you asked in the competition thread how you can quote something from another thread: click on the ' + ' sign (multiquote) next to the quote button :) )

I'm gonna wait (in)patiently for this announcement while praying for justice for Liza. Her being out will be the only thing that will upset me about possible scenarios...

I think Men's team stays the same, Lazukin didn't make strong enough case for himself.