Team Russia

41 minutes ago, liv said:

That was quick. A few days ago she's competing well at GPF and now, just days later she's quite sick. Makes you wonder if she already had it starting while there... hope she can recover quickly and well. Her season has been stellar so far....

The news reminded me of Liza's participation at Finlandia Trophy tbh, in which she skated sick too. I think perhaps she didn't fully recover since then (though her physical condition might have improved enough that she was able to compete), hence her falling sick to pneumonia now?

Guest turquoiseblue

Here are some interesting interviews after GPF :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Alina Zagitova: I shouldn’t hope that someone wouldn’t do something. I need to do everything myself

Did you have thoughts to withdraw?

– No, at that moment I remembered Yuzuru Hanyu, who performed at the Grand Prix in Moscow with a much more serious injury. I realized: to be an athlete, it is necessary to overcome difficulties. Everything can not be smooth.

After the Grand Prix Final, what conclusions did you make?

– It is necessary to polish the program completely, not to skate so stiff as I did. I have a huge room for growth. My record, if I am not mistaken, is 238 points. Here I got 226. Wow how much I have to work!

Is it necessary to look at the rivals who jump triple axel?

– The most important lesson I learned from this Grand Prix finals: I understood that I should not hope that someone would not do something. I need to do everything myself.

Do you read everything that they write about you on social networks?

– I don’t go there to read it. Just look on Instagram who posted new photos, food recipes. But sometimes some headlines catch your eyes, and it is impossible not to read all this.

This is popularity.

– Sometimes it bothers.

Have you try to treat this hype with irony?

– I tried. Anyway, sometimes these things make me angry, but I already knew that this’s a way to nowhere. Everyone will never love you.

In France, I spoke with Zhenya Medvedeva, she said that the accusations of betrayal make her most angry. What angers you the most in these comments?

– It makes me angry, when I perform not as good as everyone expects me to, and many immediately start to write: well, that’s it, she cannot. These are couch critics. They just don’t know who the athlete is. This is the same if I will comment on another sport without knowledge about it. They haven’t been in my place, they are not involved in any sport, they do not know how hard it is to be a professional athlete, how difficult everything is at this level. I repeat: they have never been in my place and never will be. And when I realize this, it calms me.

There is a category of people who get motivated by such hate, they laugh at their haters and do their work even better, looking at this couch criticism.

– Now I also try to treat this with irony, with laughter, because sometimes it is really funny.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: I’m pleased that in the Grand Prix Final I’m the oldest athlete, It flatters me

Did you felt despair over this several not the most successful years, when work didn’t bring results, but more and more young girls striving to take theirs appeared around?

– This invasion didn’t started now, moreover, it started with me and Adelina Sotnikova. There’s no point to talk whether this is good or bad. I just take the situation for granted and am not going to give up the pleasure to compete, the business of my whole life. On the contrary, I like that there is such high competition in women’s skating now and I can stand it. I’m pleased that in the Grand Prix final I’m the oldest athlete. It flatters me.

When we spoke at the beginning of the season, you said that the new rules were made primarily for those athletes whose advantage is mature and beautiful skating, not a lutz-loop at the end of the program. What do you think now, when you see that even with no mistakes performance you are still much inferior in the second mark to Alina Zagitova, Rika Kihira? Does this mark shows the reality?

– I’m used to it. I think that my figure skating is what it is. Probably, I can be called a representative of the old school, when I grew up and developed as an athlete, jumps were the cornerstone, then everything else. After all, I debuted at the senior level pretty early, I successfully performed there, so what I can do on the ice was always enough. Of course, we are trying to make my skating more component, but it is much more difficult for me to do this than for younger girls. I’m fully aware of this. Those who are just starting to skate at the senior level, they grew up in the new system. They began to skate perceiving very organically all the requirements for the program. They taught their jumps from difficult entries, they showed something that I never had to do. Therefore, it isn’t easy for me to compete with them in this.

At the same time, I know for sure that people like my skating, I also like it, by the way, judges assess it quite well generally. It’s just different. Perhaps more technical. I don’t think this is a disadvantage. Besides, as I have already said more than once, it would be naive to expect high PCS after I missed almost four years of performances. If I successfully perform at a couple of competitions, the PCS will probably start to rise.

I didn't think the other sp worked, AT ALL. She seemed to be more confused by how to present it every time (probably for a whole variety of reasons that have been discussed repeatedly in competition threads), but if this one is more comfortable for her and feels more familiar (presentation wise),  then I hope it gives her the confidence that she needs to perform her best. I am not a fan of Misha's choreography, but perhaps because they know each other the choreography will fit her more than David's did. Stressful time to try something new, but she had to do it sometime because things weren't working up until now... all part of finding out what works and what doesn't... i wish her luck.

26 minutes ago, liv said:

I didn't think the other sp worked, AT ALL. She seemed to be more confused by how to present it every time

To be fair, I don't think the FS is well presented too. She does it as if she wants to kill someone rather than doing a tango program. The face she makes, it's more of a 'Carmina Burana' face. 

12 minutes ago, liv said:

I didn't think the other sp worked, AT ALL. She seemed to be more confused by how to present it every time (probably for a whole variety of reasons that have been discussed repeatedly in competition threads), but if this one is more comfortable for her and feels more familiar (presentation wise),  then I hope it gives her the confidence that she needs to perform her best. I am not a fan of Misha's choreography, but perhaps because they know each other the choreography will fit her more than David's did. Stressful time to try something new, but she had to do it sometime because things weren't working up until now... all part of finding out what works and what doesn't... i wish her luck.

I agree that Orange Coloured Sky didn't work. She had to focus so much on technique that all these changes + a completely new style may have been a bit too much for her. And we don't know how much Wilson worked with her on that since ACI but the program didn't seem to develop.

I think something that is more familiar to her style could work better and as you say it could give her more confidence. Also if they don't change that much in the layout then it'd be easier. We'll see it soon...The timing is risky but it's now or never I guess. I wish her good luck :fingerscrossed:

I am sure that once she gets a handle on her technique then she will try new styles... and maybe while learning new technique it would be better to stick to familiar things... all at once is very hard and maybe they all bit off more than they could chew.  I have a feeling her Tosca will be much more her thing and it will be better received, provided she does the elements. 

And yes, her tango presentation isn't quite there either. So much comes down to music choice and I sort of feel lost listening/watching the first tango she uses... i think it is very difficult music to skate to.....Satoko also has a tango and I feel completely different about it purely because I think her selections are more enjoyable and seem easier to skate to...

Either way, we saw her a month ago and so much can change in a month. This will be a very interesting competition that I am really looking forward to seeing... this, and the J nats ladies comp... we will be spoiled this weekend....