Team Russia

10 minutes ago, Fay said:

“It’s that first pancake,” Orser said of Medvedeva’s skating at Autumn Classic, drawing on the adage that each successive pancake usually comes out better. “(It was) putting everything out for real and seeing what changes we need to make. It’s important to keep our eyes on the big picture throughout the season.”

:pancake:

He kept the pancake analogy hahaha

Wow I completely understand why Planet Hanyu was started now. Someone started a thread on GS about the Medvedeva interview and it is now literal dumpster fire.  Thank god for sites like this one and MN so there are alternatives out there talk about FS without haters. Kudos to everyone here!

Zhenya's article was really good - it shouldn't come as a surprise from a professionist, but we know sometimes there have been 'bad' articles from professional journalists too (tho I'm kinda meh about a couple pointsIMO historically inaccurate, but those are minor issues in an overall good interview). I love Zhenya's mindset. The hints at the hard, hard period she went through last season were to be expected but it still make me sad:sad-smiley-046:

And while I'm sad that she expected the backlash for her coaching change (tho, at least she was well-prepared:tumblr_inline_n2pjcykAXc1qdlkyg:), I'm relieved and glad that she felt loud and clear all the support too. Interesting that Libertango was her own choice. She does look as if she's enjoying the FS stsq, so maybe that's why. Hopefully the rest will come as the season progress.

She's always classy too. Some 'adults' should learn from her...

sidenote: has the official transliteration of Zhenya's name changed? Isn't it still 'Evgenia' on all the ISU stuff? Why NBC goes with Yevgenia? I just want them to choose one transliteration and stick with that, they get me confused :14066882:

re: Liza

I didn't know she had been ill :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

and of course champions can't just stay in bed and heal properly, they always need to rush:13877886:

she did really well! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: Good to see her so confident. And I love her tweets too, she's brilliant!:bow::bow::bow:

Evgenia/Yevgenia problem is down to the fact than if Russian names start with “E”, the sound they produce is really “Ye”. - Yevgenia, Yegor, Yevgeni, Yekaterina, Yelizaveta etc. But that looks so unwieldy that translators, including me, have been getting rid of that initial Y. 

8 hours ago, Fay said:

Evgenia/Yevgenia problem is down to the fact than if Russian names start with “E”, the sound they produce is really “Ye”. - Yevgenia, Yegor, Yevgeni, Yekaterina, Yelizaveta etc. But that looks so unwieldy that translators, including me, have been getting rid of that initial Y. 

Have you seen her name in the spanish wiki?

Yevguéniya Medvédeva

I get that they're trying to be as accurate to the actual pronunciation as possible but it looks just... no

1 hour ago, Hydroblade said:

Yevguéniya Medvédeva

I get that they're trying to be as accurate to the actual pronunciation as possible but it looks just... no

Gosh. Looks painful to read and write... 

2 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Yevguéniya Medvédeva

Yevguéniya sounds really complicated :DI'm already used to her name in Hungarian which is Jevgenyija Medvegyeva, maybe because this pronunciation is closer to the original...