Team Russia

There are several people on my twitter acting as though the IOC banned their faves...but the IOC didnt ban them? In light of all the circumstances, I thought it was the best thing they could have done (realistically you couldn’t have expected IOC to do nothing esp once they let Rio slide, they’d double down on the ‘lesser’ Olympics especially since it was Sochi where the system was revealed).

It’s cruel that now if the RusFed doesn’t boycott entirely, clean athletes will have to choose between fulfilling a personal dream and boycotting for national pride. A lot depends on the tone the leadership will take — if they act like martyrs, even if they don’t officially boycott, it will be almost impossible for athletes to go individually. But if that happens that’s still on Russia, not the IOC?

Well, I hope Zhenya had the chance to speak, if anything because she's made the trip :waffle:

But if she couldn't, it would have been only a formality anyway, more for the sake of PR, and it wouldn't have changed the final decision. That the use of the name "Russia" will be allowed, imo it's the best we could hope. Now it's hard to blame IOC, were Zhenya and the others to choose not to be in PyeongChang.

I'd say the IOC decision might be considered "conciliatory", and I'm not even sure that for a less powerful country IOC would be that conciliatory. So imo a total boycott now it's harder to support, even for Russian government. And it's harder to paint as "traitors" the athletes who wish to compete. But I live in a country where national pride isn't that big (except when soccer-related...or when we have to blame european institutions for everyrhing wrong. Then it suddenly becomes "us" against "them") and I've never been that patriotic myself, so maybe people in Russia would agree, were their leaders to call IOC's decision as an outrage to their country, thus calling for a boycott, while to me it would sound quite unreasonable so I'd just think "screw them" :slinkaway:and i'd totally support my compatriots going to olys 

ETA: so Zhenya did make her speech. I'm so impressed by her poise :bow:

And they agreed to make them compete under "Russia", so her wish to be there as a team could be fulfilled

Dare we hope :snonegai:

I've just read the decision - they're gunning for the officials and doing their best to enable the athletes to compete.  I'll be willing to bet the inclusion of the word 'Russia' in the athlete description, while it may not be enough for some or all of the athletes to feel ok about competing will have some of the more hardline critics baying that it isn't enough.

If they're right about the systemic state led doping, then it's very depressing- one knows it goes on and that individuals and their coaches and doctors do it, and that countries turn a blind eye but this is giving me flashbacks to East Germany in the 70s - not as widespread perhaps but if it were ignored where would we be in 8/12/16 years time?  I just hope there are no awful medical consequences in 10/15 years time for the athletes.  Depressed.

5 minutes ago, DaPurpleDino said:

I just woke up and heard the news :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: 

How likely is it any of them will go to the Olympics? Russia was quite adamant they would boycott if they were banned :/

Nobody knows. We just wait and cross everything.

Can I just say that I hate politics? Politics that wanted to ban Russian athletes and Russian politicians that didn't done enough to protect their athletes (I didn't follow the case closely so don't want to discuss whom to blame here). There was a  broadcast of some kind of TV talk show now on Russian TV which I stumbled upon and I agree with the words of ex-athlete and commentator: it's easy to make a discussion when you're sitting in comfortable chairs (and when you're not training 12 hours a day I must add). Let's see how it'll go but as I understood the athletes can also take part in team events.

I'm not that much patriotic although usually I cheer in some sports for Russian athletes. So personally I don't care that much will the athletes be under Russian or neutral flag in the end cuz I know from what country they are if I follow a sport just a little.