Team Russia

1 minute ago, xeyra said:
I don't know if it will help that they'll still be referred as being from Russia, according to this.... 

If that is true, and there is the word Russia in the name, then chances just went way, way up they may still compete.

So we got what we were expecting...now it's on the athletes (or the government). I'm sad to hear Med said she wouldn't go. I hope she can change her idea :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

Honestly, I can't say IOC is wrong, and they will even allow athletes to still compete as Russian people. imo they are trying to make it clear that russians institutions are those getting the punishment, not the clean athletes themselves. So, if I were an athlete, competing would still mean to have a chance to display my hard work in front of the world and feel pride in being Russian.

ETA under these circumstances, now I'd disagree more strongly with a boycott from Russia or Russian athletes. It's still their choice to make, of course, but imo IOC gave them a more than reasonable way out.

Just now, katonice said:

I guess no surprises from this decision. As expected from the rumours we've been hearing. Now to see how Russia, and the athletes themselves, will react. 

I really hope they won't be discouraged and try even harder to win.  :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

I admit, I'm not even fully familiar with the case, but, regarding athletes competing as OAR, would their federations support that? I wonder if it's 100% their choice with no potential repercussions. I agree, clean athletes fighting harder would be a better kind of 'boycott', but I wonder if that's realistically possible. I don't think athletes anywhere are completely independent. They might be free to make their choices, but not without possible consequences. And even if federations did say "suit yourselves", how would they be seen by the Russian people? It's not an easy decision, I think... Either way it sucks... (and I'm not even a fan of any of the Russian athletes)

I feel much better now that we've seen it will be an  “Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)”. The name is right there. Sure, there's no flag or anthem but at least the name is there, and since they're allowed to participate in team events under this as well, nothing to do but hope this is enough to get them to be stubborn and go. Everything crossed.

The bad part of the ruling is that the suspension is indefinite so theoretically IOC can keep playing this game with Russia indefinitely, including 2020 in Tokyo and so on. Which means that the Russians may decide to put their foot down now for the "lesser" Olympic Games, ie the winter ones.

Well there is a meeting now in Russia so we should hear something hopefully and of course, tomorrow the final decision.