Team Russia

I'm so done with this season,honestly. I've just started to feel much better about Yuzuru and now this. I really hope her  team will tie her to a bed  otherwise this subborn little titan will try to go and perform at GPF risking to aggravate her injury. She really really needs to prioritise her health right now and focus on RN and Olympics. Because Evgenia not going to Olympics (and winning it!) will be the biggest  freaking injustice ever!

What a horrible situation for her. If Alina were not as she is ... but she is. And look at Alina's PCS sky-rocketing pretty much, retroactively it makes sense. I can only imagine what's going through Zhenya's head now and I am not wise. Yes, she's established but on the other hand, that is probably not enough. Tbh, my own read of the situation is pretty grim; I feel like Alina's is effectively the #1 now, so I get why Zhenya skated at NHK and I get why she may want to push herself for GPF. Guh. I feel like there're no good answers here, only less bad ones. 

If it were me, I'd choose health and rolling the dice at the Olympics but it's not me, and it's not me who spent years and years on that ice. 

She and her team know all the info, so if she ends up skating I'll trust them that that was the less bad one. Ideally, she'd WD, heal and return for Nats but this has never been a fair world.

Heal well Zhenya, heal quickly. I can only cross everything and wish her all the best.

What a horrid season. Horrid.

Who was it here who said the other day that it must be nice to be a Zhenya fan? (Cuz she always skated clean and won etc).

and I replied with a very casual “Oh, I dunno, did you see the tape on her lower leg?” 

(Paraphrased)

This doesn’t really come as a surprise, alas. Still wish I’d kept my mouth shut, though. 

6 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

What a horrible situation for her. If Alina were not as she is ... but she is. And look at Alina's PCS sky-rocketing pretty much, retroactively it makes sense. I can only imagine what's going through Zhenya's head now and I am not wise. Yes, she's established but on the other hand, that is probably not enough. Tbh, my own read of the situation is pretty grim; I feel like Alina's is effectively the #1 now, so I get why Zhenya skated at NHK and I get why she may want to push herself for GPF. Guh. I feel like there're no good answers here, only less bad ones. 

If it were me, I'd choose health and rolling the dice at the Olympics but it's not me, and it's not me who spent years and years on that ice. 

She and her team know all the info, so if she ends up skating I'll trust them that that was the less bad one. Ideally, she'd WD, heal and return for Nats but this has never been a fair world.

Heal well Zhenya, heal quickly. I can only cross everything and wish her all the best.

What a horrid season. Horrid.

So I wasn't the only one to think the sudden rise of Alina's PCS has to do anything with the current problem? 

It really is as though someone has cursed the GP this season - I hope she makes a speedy recovery.  If she's in a cast it will at least stop her from overdoing it while it's on.  One of my children was put in plaster with a sprained ankle because he wouldn't sit still and rest it so immobilising him for a couple of weeks was the only way to stop him aggravating it and give the healing process a chance to begin.  Hopefully hers is a similar short term thing :fourleafclover:

Just now, Fay said:

So I wasn't the only one to think the sudden rise of Alina's PCS has to do anything with the current problem? 

Definitely not. In fact, post IdF I was talking to a friend about it and I remember it clearly because we were both confused. PCS rise was expected but this went beyond that, and we couldn't quite figure out why. It seemed like a clear shift to Alina for the OGM but why? 

And now this.

I would not want to be in Zhenya's shoes. I feel really bad for her but this is not a pretty situation. I'm not smart. I mean she may simply be unwell and then the decision is out of her hands; she simply has to WD. But what does she do if she's so-so? Risk losing to Alina because a win might be decisive for later? Risk messing yourself up, even if you do win? Gah. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

I feel like Alina could also play a part to why she decided to continue skating... even the NHK Gala. Maybe she wanted to prove something. Or maybe it's not Alina at all..

Whatever the reason is, I really hope she just focuses on herself. Not what the coaches or media says. GPF < Olympic

2 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Definitely not. In fact, post IdF I was talking to a friend about it and I remember it clearly because we were both confused. PCS rise was expected but this went beyond that, and we couldn't quite figure out why. It seemed like a clear shift to Alina for the OGM but why? 

And now this.

I would not want to be in Zhenya's shoes. I feel really bad for her but this is not a pretty situation. I'm not smart. I mean she may simply be unwell and then the decision is out of her hands; she simply has to WD. But what does she do if she's so-so? Risk losing to Alina because a win might be decisive for later? Risk messing yourself up, even if you do win? Gah. 

It’s a lose-lose either way. Are they going to Euros? If she needs that win over Alina for politics or personal momentum, there’s still Rus Nats which would give her more time to heal even if they don’t have Euros. I don’t pretend to know how the politicking works tbh >_>

It’s infinitely worse to exacerbate the injury but tbh I don’t know if she’s in an environment that is conscious of that — I wouldn’t be surprised if the attitude is more ‘as long as you can skate, do it’. I mean...she skated at the gala :/ 

For the sake of the girl's health, I want her to withdraw if she can't skate in three weeks' time. Making the fracture more serious by forcing those jumps out is no option. 

But I do understand what is at stake. She trained too much and too hard...

17 minutes ago, kaerb said:

It’s a lose-lose either way. Are they going to Euros? If she needs that win over Alina for politics or personal momentum, there’s still Rus Nats which would give her more time to heal even if they don’t have Euros. I don’t pretend to know how the politicking works tbh >_>

It’s infinitely worse to exacerbate the injury but tbh I don’t know if she’s in an environment that is conscious of that — I wouldn’t be surprised if the attitude is more ‘as long as you can skate, do it’. I mean...she skated at the gala :/ 

It's really a question of what is the smallest loss. 

Yes, there are Euros. It's RusNats-> Euros->Olys. Euros are in Moscow of all places, in January. 

I'll give you my honest opinion, as things stand now.

If Zhenya wins RusNats, with or without the GPF, she'll reset the situation in her favor. If Alina has won the GPF in the meantime it is going to be much more difficult but not impossible, even if the Fed is eyeing Alina for the OGM.

If Zhenya loses RusNats, then that is pretty much that (here disregarding any potential Oly messing up, which is of course always possible by anyone).

But it is the RusNats that'll be the breaking point, in one way or another. 

The rumours so far are that she injured her foot while she was doing some conditioning exercises - she hit her foot hard against a bench she was to jump over. Had she allowed herself to rest then, it might not have been so bad now...