Jump to content
theblingmonster

"Must Sees" for new Yuzu fans

Recommended Posts

So like many others here, I'm a new Yuzu fan and it's definitely no secret that there's years of content that was missed out on from becoming a fan so late (he's already got two olympic gold medals!). To make new fans lives a little easier, I'd like to ask all the older fans if there are any "must sees" that you'd recommend to us? "Must sees" as in, performances, interviews, videos, anything that a Yuzu fan MUST SEE. I've already done a pretty good job searching things up (my youtube playlist of him has close to 200 videos) but I get the feeling that there are many gems I'm missing out on. Thank you all so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, theblingmonster said:

So like many others here, I'm a new Yuzu fan and it's definitely no secret that there's years of content that was missed out on from becoming a fan so late (he's already got two olympic gold medals!). To make new fans lives a little easier, I'd like to ask all the older fans if there are any "must sees" that you'd recommend to us? "Must sees" as in, performances, interviews, videos, anything that a Yuzu fan MUST SEE. I've already done a pretty good job searching things up (my youtube playlist of him has close to 200 videos) but I get the feeling that there are many gems I'm missing out on. Thank you all so much!

Hello and welcome to the planet! Hope you'll have a great time here! :snpeace:

For lots of Yuzu vids with docus and competitions you can check this two threads out! Our amazing @kaeryth is doing an awesome job gathering this vids! Have fun!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum! As ralucutzagy kindly pointed out, we have the media section with many compilations.  But in addition to that I'd also recommend checking his name in English and Japanese on social media sites like Tumblr and Twitter. There are fanarts and memes galore, along with other Yuzu lovers.  It's down the rabbit hole from here so get ready for the ultimate (but fun) time suck.   There is no turning back so live long and uber :darklordyuzu:

 

The-Simpsons-Sr-Burns-Don%252527t-Forget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is... All videos turn out to be must sees. But if by noob you mean total, total noob, I'd say... 2011 COR, 2012 Worlds, Sochi PW, NHK and GPF Seimei, Helsinki H&L, ACI 2017 Chopin, 2018 Olys.

 

I mean, watch everything, everything's wonderful, and I'm not hoping for another POTO as might be obvious, but those are the competition skates I go back to more than any others. They're all definitely must-sees, but then, everything is a must-see!  Ghana CM making, for instance. Definitely must-see. Random quad battles. 2017 CoR gala. All in all, just prepare to :13877886::13877886::13877886::13877886:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!

 

I developed the most profound appreciation* of Yuzu's skating by learning just how technically superior (in addition to how artistically more compelling) he is compared to the rest of the field. If any of the new fans are like me, the followings are also a must to see. 

 

This thread for learning the intricacies of Figure Skating in general:

 

My favourite tumblr for anything technical, the-real-xmonster aka Alice. She often uses gifs of Yuzu as examples (of good techniques in FS). The pinned post on her tumblr page is the compilation of all things to know to understand how the scoring works. Or supposed to, at least.

 

I learned to identify jumps and spins (still have to work a LOT on identifying steps) from watching (online, that is) an obscene amount of competitions, whose thread you can usually find in the Event Discussion. 

https://planethanyu.com/forum/9-event-discussion/

Tho, to be fair, when Yuzu is competing, all manner of concentrations usually goes haywire. 

 

*by 'appreciation', I mean 'obsession'. But, you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

The thing is... All videos turn out to be must sees. But if by noob you mean total, total noob, I'd say... 2011 COR, 2012 Worlds, Sochi PW, NHK and GPF Seimei, Helsinki H&L, ACI 2017 Chopin, 2018 Olys.

 

Add to it GPF 2014 Chopin and POTO (or WTT 2015 POTO) even if he wasn't completely clean there. And don't forget GPF 2016 LGC because how dare you forget our purple overlord? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xeyra said:

 

Add to it GPF 2014 Chopin and POTO (or WTT 2015 POTO) even if he wasn't completely clean there. And don't forget GPF 2016 LGC because how dare you forget our purple overlord? 

Yes to all of that, and how could I forget our purple overlord! The 4Lo-face. 

 

I just realized that those are actually the ones (along with a 3A compilation and a silly video of him) that I keep on my phone's limited storage. :laughing: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Though, seriously, ACI Seimei is also a must-see for a totally different wtf Yuzu experience. :smiley-laughing021:

:sadPooh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

:sadPooh:

That competition was the quintessential Yuzu experience, wasn't it? Injury-no training for a week-world record SP-pop concert free skate-Canadian silver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WinForPooh said:

That competition was the quintessential Yuzu experience, wasn't it? Injury-no training for a week-world record SP-pop concert free skate-Canadian silver. 

Javi was there too, so there was a real competition :sadPooh:, tons of meme-faces and moments...

stop it, Hydro, stop

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hydroblade said:

Javi was there too, so there was a real competition :sadPooh:, tons of meme-faces and moments...

stop it, Hydro, stop

 

 

The victory ceremony and all the footage of Yuzu animatedly explaining his gloves issue to Shirota-san made the pop concert worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hydroblade said:

Javi was there too, so there was a real competition :sadPooh:, tons of meme-faces and moments...

stop it, Hydro, stop

 

At least you got to witness world-record Chopin before Seimei and I only got to see Seimei :headdesk2: still salty I took my time buying the tickets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Javi was there too, so there was a real competition :sadPooh:, tons of meme-faces and moments...

stop it, Hydro, stop

 

:10742289: You survived it, started the Swan Invasion in earnest AND didn't kidnap him. Total win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, xeyra said:

 

The victory ceremony and all the footage of Yuzu animatedly explaining his gloves issue to Shirota-san made the pop concert worth it. 

 

23 minutes ago, kelly said:

At least you got to witness world-record Chopin before Seimei and I only got to see Seimei :headdesk2: still salty I took my time buying the tickets

 

22 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

:10742289: You survived it, started the Swan Invasion in earnest AND didn't kidnap him. Total win. 

Spoiler

Yuzu aside, it was a great competition. Got to see at least one Oly medalist in all disciplines!

I'm not evil enough to kidnap Swanyu even if he was in his popstar Onmyouji form.

 

But this thread is for must sees! So i'd say Boston Requiem.

It's such a heartbreak but when i first got into him, i watched it like four times a day because i couldn't get enough of its beauty.

Then i found out about the injury and i couldn't watch it anymore. I still can't :sadPooh: but it's beautiful so yeah, watch it...

And for something a bit happier, CoR Swan :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg:. If we are talking swans SC and Olys swan are my favourites and WTT Swan is too because we get Crazy!swan at the end:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

 

ETA: Can't forget GPF and 4CC Let's Go Crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×