"Must Sees" for new Yuzu fans

4 minutes ago, Neenah said:

My personal favorite and a must see for any fan  :10636614:

I am pretty sure Yuzu himself likes it a lot to seeing how engaged he is with the song. Just look at him singing and skating :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

That reminds me! 24h TV White Legend <3! That was the first time i saw him skating "live" (as in, i found a stream to see him:tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:)

i really like Swanyu ok

Also, last year's 24hTV Ienai Yo :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp: the jumps were lovelyy aaaaah

I think it might be nice to start a chronological journey:).

Nice 2012. Young Romeo. He was so young, happy, intense, overwhelmed and overwhelming, the performance so gripping, and so important to him.

The athmosphere in the arena was so high energy — I think many people knew that they were witnessing something very, very special.

When I started to convert my sister, I started there..:laughing:

( it was the first time I took notice of him. And was hooked. The spirals got directly into my heart. I had never seen something like this..)

4 minutes ago, raebia said:

I think it might be nice to start a chronological journey:).

Nice 2012. Young Romeo. He was so young, happy, intense, overwhelmed and overwhelming, the performance so gripping, and so important to him.

The athmosphere in the arena was so high energy — I think many people knew that they were witnessing something very, very special.

When I started to convert my sister, I started there..:laughing:

( it was the first time I took notice of him. And was hooked. The spirals got directly into my heart. I had never seen something like this..)

Young Romeo at Nice sealed my Fanyu faith, too ... There was no turning back!

58 minutes ago, Neenah said:

My personal favorite and a must see for any fan  :10636614:

I am pretty sure Yuzu himself likes it a lot to seeing how engaged he is with the song. Just look at him singing and skating :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Thank you for this!

I make a confession: I never really liked hana ni nare, but now I do. Watching the audience, the singers and him there...now I get it!:thanks:

Where was this I would love to know? Is this Sendai ice rink?

5 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Though, seriously, ACI Seimei is also a must-see for a totally different wtf Yuzu experience. :smiley-laughing021:

This is such a noob-ish question but does ACl stand for Autumn Classic? I hope it does because that's the one I watched :laughing: I noticed he wasn't wearing his gloves in this performance, so maybe that's the reason for it? :laughing:

5 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

The thing is... All videos turn out to be must sees. But if by noob you mean total, total noob, I'd say... 2011 COR, 2012 Worlds, Sochi PW, NHK and GPF Seimei, Helsinki H&L, ACI 2017 Chopin, 2018 Olys.

I mean, watch everything, everything's wonderful, and I'm not hoping for another POTO as might be obvious, but those are the competition skates I go back to more than any others. They're all definitely must-sees, but then, everything is a must-see!  Ghana CM making, for instance. Definitely must-see. Random quad battles. 2017 CoR gala. All in all, just prepare to :13877886::13877886::13877886::13877886:.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! This is probably really noob-ish but, what do your abbreviations mean? I know NHK and GPF, but I'm not sure what PW, ACI, and POTO mean :facepalm:

3 hours ago, raebia said:

Thank you for this!

I make a confession: I never really liked hana ni nare, but now I do. Watching the audience, the singers and him there...now I get it!:thanks:

Where was this I would love to know? Is this Sendai ice rink?

No, this was in Fukushima. It was part of the 24h TV in 2015 and he performed for people who could not go back to their homes because of the disaster. The whole thing is so heartbreaking which is why this particular performance has such an impact. I found the video of the segment without subtitles here

I am pretty sure it has been translated but can't find it now

6 hours ago, theblingmonster said:

So like many others here, I'm a new Yuzu fan and it's definitely no secret that there's years of content that was missed out on from becoming a fan so late (he's already got two olympic gold medals!). To make new fans lives a little easier, I'd like to ask all the older fans if there are any "must sees" that you'd recommend to us? "Must sees" as in, performances, interviews, videos, anything that a Yuzu fan MUST SEE. I've already done a pretty good job searching things up (my youtube playlist of him has close to 200 videos) but I get the feeling that there are many gems I'm missing out on. Thank you all so much!

Do you mind sharing that youtube playlist? Help a fellow newbie out and all that jazz haha

6 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

Do you mind sharing that youtube playlist? Help a fellow newbie out and all that jazz haha

Of course! Unfortunately, some videos got deleted but there's still a hefty amount! I also have a few videos in there of the Shibutanis and Kim Yuna, but it's not much!

I'll always suggest Change ex (2014!!!) yes,  here's your local Change stan :embSwan: 

And Faoi Opening and closing numbers, in particular FaoI Makuhari 2015 and of course hyper!Yuzu and Nyan!Yuzu from FaoI 2017. I believe all the videos are compiled in @kaeryth's threads. Change and Makuhari 2015 showed me for the first time the hyper and playful and bubbly side of Yuzu (PW doesn't count, ok? And back then I still didn't know LGC existed:dancingpooh:)

Not really a must watch, but some commentaries I particularly enjoy because interesting/hilarious/moving: 2012 Worlds FS from NBC (iirc Tracy was commenting!!! "When he's on his jumps are sensational, when he's off, his falls are spectacular":smiley-laughing021: poor Tracy had no idea of what awaited her:9:), Sochi PW CBC (Kurt!), GPF 2015 SP BritishEsp and the spanish ladies(TDP) who were amazed and hilarious in their amazement, GPF 2015 Seimei NBC  (yes, I found Johnny and Tara quite good there:P)    

Helsinki H&L BBC and a bunch of others (Ita Esp included:biggrin: final part in particular:biggrin::biggrin:), going for the more "exotic" ones I'd say the hungarian M4, french Fr2 commentary. I also recommend Notte Stellata Helsinki with Ita Esp commentary because the commentary melts me every single time (and Angelo puts into words what really sets Yuzu apart from everyone else: his technical elements are Art, too) :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: 

There shoud be subbed video in Kaeryth's threads

An amazing COR FS fancam (I'll add the link when I find it)

And every true Yuzu fan shoud watch at least a couple practices with Yuzuru skating Seimei in his training outfit :tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

As for documentaries, among the must watch (pretty much each doc, tbqh :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:) I recommend his Spirit of the Athetes 2016 (Boston:sadPooh:) and the documentaries about 3.11 (sorry I don't remember the name:13877886:I'll check later and edit my post). 

Also, Kenji's room episodes subbed by @¯\_(ツ)_/¯ because they'll make tear you up one moment and laugh your ass off the next and they discuss a bunch of different topics

You can find them in the media threads

Some "must read" interviews: again, so much wonderful material...if I have to recommend one off the top of my head, the Ice Jewel one from 2016 (october? I'll check this one too) where Yuzuru talks a bit about his post-Boston time. I don't  remember if he talked about his 2016-2017 programs in that one too or it was another Ice Jewel...

thing is, it's actually impossible to find a single Yuzu interview that isn't special and worth reading (and cause lots of squealing and/or weeping). And translators are so freaking good, they always try to convey the special care and feelings Yuzu puts in his interviews, in the way he chooses his words and conjures certain images...thanks to those little details I can almost picture Yuzuru's expression and voice talking  :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Figure skating talks + bonus occasional fanboying over Yuzuru: I recommend the english translations from Max Ambesi & Angelo Dolfini's podcasts (again, gotta fetch the links later  :13877886: I'm a bad and disorganized fanyu :81:)

You don't need to understand the tech to appreciate the beauty of Yuzuru's skating but it certainly made me appreciate ten thousand times more him as an athlete, and figure skating in general. Yuzu is a big nerd of the sport and he loves skating so much, so I feel it can make him proud and happy that, thanks to him, more people get to share his love for the sport:10742289:

tho understanding the tech could make you salty about scoring....sorry about that :headdesk:

Whops I've suggested a bunch of very sad things:tumblr_inline_mzx91uuLRI1r8msi5:

Bad fanyu:13877886:

Masochist:13877886::13877886:

Sorry for the wall-text:peekapooh:

(All the video and interviews should be in the translations and media thread, I'll edit my post with links when I'll have my pc and some decent wifi)

2 hours ago, theblingmonster said:

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! This is probably really noob-ish but, what do your abbreviations mean? I know NHK and GPF, but I'm not sure what PW, ACI, and POTO mean :facepalm:

H&L is Hope and Legacy, his free skate from last season. The Worlds 2017 free skate, the current world record free skate is Helsinki H&L because it was held there. :) CoR is Cup of Russia, the GP event held in Russia, same as Rostelecom. 

And the ACI Seimei gloves was also a thing. When he was pulling it on by the side of the rink, he looked puzzled, frowned, tried again. Then he looked at the audience - death stare, we assumed he was looking at Mama Hanyu - and showed his hand. He had ended up at the venue with two gloves for the same hand. :laughing: If you go to the ACI thread, in event discussion, you'll find fancams of that. 

It's easier to find his senior programmes so here's his novice/junior days.