Who have you tried to convert to a Hanyu fan?

Who have you tried to convert to a Hanyu fan?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not necessarily trying to convert anyone.  Just I'm over-enthusiastic about him and tend to tell everyone.  Because I think he's so great I want everyone else to see how brill he is.  It would also be nice to talk about him other than on Planet Hanyu. 

I've partially got my sister on board.  During Helsinki GP '18 I kept sending her videos.  She says she's not that into skating but can see the attraction and  how does he get his body to bend that way??  (Donut spin).  She couldn't believe anyone could do the jumps he did. 

My youngest son will also chat about him but more in a joking way.  He recently did an art exhibition in which a question was asked to... Water...Temperature and a Computer (Don't ask!!!).  There is a coloured display.  Green for yes, red for no and yellow for non-applicable.  He'd rigged it up to ask "Will Yuzuru Hanyu be able to land a quad axle in a competition?" And all the boxes were green! !!!    Of course eldest son designed my Christmas Yuzu pillow for me.  He knows I'm a fan.  Love them both :img_20: Hubbie thinks I'm mad but will attend competitions sometimes.  "I've just spent six hours in a plastic seat with a numb bum!".  He did enjoy the Gala though.  He hasn't seen Yuzu live but I'm absolutely convinced if he did he'd be a fellow :satellite:

@Henni147

Spoiler

Your video is marvellous.  Do wish I could make them.  I cannot even work out how to link things or put a picture on the site. I think there is a proper name for the " Prince move" but carn't remember what it is or where I heard it.  Perhaps others will know?  

24 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I attempted to convert my fiancee but I failed.  For some reason showing him dozens of pictures of Yuzu's :peach: and talking about how pretty he is didn't manage to convince him :confused:

But he is coming with me to Autumn Classic if I manage to get tickets and our passports in time - crossing my fingers that the US government will be processing those.

Yes I've tried the exhaustion method too.  Think I overdid it with my Husband. :tantrum:

I tried to convert my mother and my friend. They both like FS but haven't watched it much lately. I decided not to be direct and sent them one-two best programs by top male skaters, including Otonal. My friend said she liked Javi best of all (sigh). My mother said "They are all ok, but that Japanese guy in blue - just magnificent! He was flying there!" She likes him now, though I didn't manage to turn her into an actual fan. Must work on it ))

12 hours ago, Louitunes said:

@Henni147

Hide contents

Your video is marvellous.  Do wish I could make them.  I cannot even work out how to link things or put a picture on the site. I think there is a proper name for the " Prince move" but carn't remember what it is or where I heard it.  Perhaps others will know?  

I think, the Prince move is a forward lunge while the pistol pose is a sideway lunge, is that correct?
However, "lunge" as a move name was too unspecific. That's why I labeled it as "Prince move" :laughing:

• 2 months later...

I may have made my first convert.  Took my Japanese piano book to my lesson today.  I led off with a clip of Olympic Fred on my phone and my teacher was captivated - asked me for a link.  So I’ve sent her Olympic Fred, GPF 2015 Seimei, 2012WC R&J and a fanvid of practice in under armour.  Awaiting a reaction!

On 3/2/2019 at 6:13 AM, Henni147 said:

I think, the Prince move is a forward lunge while the pistol pose is a sideway lunge, is that correct?
However, "lunge" as a move name was too unspecific. That's why I labeled it as "Prince move" :laughing:

I must confess I always thought it was a one leg cantilever haha i never knew what to call it 

I had a course on Presentation Skill at the university, and for our final project, we had to do a Motivational Presentation :hihi: I took BOrser's words literally and built a 15 mins PowerPoint where I gushed about the "story of the Olympics' 1000th gold medal" :68468287: I even wore my Cicontu shirt and everything (but I don't think anyone in my class was able to read the back, let alone recognize the merch :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:).

Fast forward 2 months later, when I was discussing travel plans with a classmate, I told her that I wish to go to Japan once in my life - "to see the birthplace of my favorite athlete". She immediately commented "You mean the figure skater, right?" :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:It felt like a first step for my mass conversion plan (jk) :darklordyuzu:

• 1 year later...

After I found out about Yuzuru-kun and figure skating, I immediately set towards converting my sister, but, uh....I was only partially successful. :sorrow:I showed her footage of 2017 World Championships in Helsinki and several gala exhibitions, including "Notte Stellata," but alas, i have failed! 

Well, sort of, anyways: she likes figure skating as a whole now, but she's more into the ladies category, though she still agrees to watch Yuzu-kun with me now and then, but I think she actually likes Javi better.....:headdesk:No offense to Javi!!! I like him too, just.... :cry: Ah well, I guess I'll just have to try harder! At the very least, my sister also looks forwards to him landing "Nessie" and things like that, and she agrees that I*U can be really blind at times.  But I'll be in touch with a friend I haven't talked to in a long time soon, so maybe I'll have better luck with her! :space:I'll just have to try my best! 

15 hours ago, Whoopiewoop said:

My friend. Although it's debatable whether it's because of Yuzu's skating skills or his peach. You see.... my friend is gay and he crushes on people very easily. He reckons that Yuzu is in his top 3 of crushes and watching him skate reminds him of Yuri on Ice :Just_Cuz_15:

Well, I won't comment about Yuri on Ice.
There used to be a mostly gay figure skating forum (I think it stopped some two years ago), mostly centred on Yuzuru Hanyu, with a lot of wit and funny nonsense, and of course opinions. I understood Yuzuru Hanyu was often "a crush" but maybe not as much as Stéphane Lambiel or Javier Fernández; and in any case "not for marriage", if I understood well it was because of the household chores! :rofl3: (There was a sort of consensus upon Nobunari Oda being "the ideal husband".)

As they stopped in 2018, there was no opinion about Jun Hwan Cha who was still a teenager in growth (and underage).

Edit : the series of threads stopped one year ago, not two.

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I understood Yuzuru Hanyu was often "a crush" but maybe not as much as Stéphane Lambiel or Javier Fernández; and in any case "not for marriage", if I understood well it was because of the household chores! :rofl3: 

Just asking out of curiosity - why do people seem to be under the impression that Yuzu can’t do housework? O.O

29 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Just asking out of curiosity - why do people seem to be under the impression that Yuzu can’t do housework? O.O

I guess it's because he lives with his mother? While we all know the reasons behind it, a 25 y.o. man living with his parents doesn't shed a very positive light on him as someone independent and self-sufficient