Who have you tried to convert to a Hanyu fan?

Who have you tried to convert to a Hanyu fan?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Moms are easier since they listen and "tolerate" you more :LOL: *thanks mom<3* I also tried my brother, he acknowledged yuzu as the best and downloaded hope and legacy music to listen but i wouldn't call him a fan. I also show some vids to my colleagues but my closest friend among them does not like "asian" or things related with asia in general (though she impressed by h&l) so i did not pushed it much though i constantly talk about fs and him

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried to convert one of my sisters by showing her Yuzu's programs. While she acknowledges that Yuzu is far superior than the other men (she particularly pointed out Yuzu's elegance on the ice), she prefers Javi. I wouldn't call it a failure since I was still able to make her interested figure skating. 

Although I wouldn't say my mom likes fs, she has noted the difference of Yuzu's skating compared with the others. I was re-watching the final group in the WC 2017 at that time. She said that Yuzu's jumps are light and looked effortless. 

I guess I have more work to do. 

I don't know, but my experience indicates that it's easier for people who have some FS background to like Yuzu, even if they don't end up as die-hard fans.

I can sit and talk with my mom for hours about choreography and artistry, and why we or myself thinks one skater is better than the other. In this case, my mom was the one who used to tape me at times when I took skating semi-seriously as a kid. And I can fangirl over technique with my rinkmates. But with people who don't really have a background in FS of any sort, they tend to run out of attention when I show them stuff. =(

Spoiler

Since I’ve become Yuzu’s fan, I can hardly contain myself. I talked about him to anyone at any spared time , or not :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:. Sadly I can’t convert any to a true fan . One time I texted one gym mate Seimei video and only 2 minutes after she texted me back saying it was so good !!! Really , you can watch a FP in 2 minutes ????:hachimaki: 

There’s this one teacher at my school who really admires Yuzu and sending beautiful messages about Yuzu’s news . With her permission I’d like to share with you here

It's amazing how in two minutes you find yourself moved beyond words and tears gently flowing down the contours of your face. He is truly inspirational. Whoever puts together the clips knows what Yuzuru brings to the skating arena and the world. True beauty! “

Great light reading and picture. One can only hope that people will learn from Yuzuru.  A  truly good, beloved person who has a passion, talent, or skill in life that allows for emotional fulfillment and a comfortable lifestyle, and who has balanced his good fortune by helping humanity, whether locally or globally, without any expectation of fame, celebrity, or honor.  As one person messaged, gold medals and heart of gold. 

I hope you have a fabulous spring break 🐣🐇🌸💐🌼.

Thank you for being you, a beautiful soul.  And, thank you for your love and support. You help me be a better teacher and person ❤️!”

:sadPooh:

Spoiler

Spoiler

@ruruzest: that's really nice, thanks for sharing!

12 hours ago, Xen said:

I don't know, but my experience indicates that it's easier for people who have some FS background to like Yuzu, even if they don't end up as die-hard fans.

That's interesting. Well I had zero FS background (zero winter sports background even), and just stumbled upon Yuzu's vids by pure chance. So it's possible to convert FS noobs, for sure! But I agree that after learning more about the technical stuff, I appreciate Yuzu even more.

I think to become a die-hard fan, something has to "click" personally from them. As in, the fan has had some experience simlar to his, and then they can realize how extraordinary Yuzu is.. For me, he is first and foremost an amazing athlete (thus by extension an amazing superhuman). I relate to his pressure and I am floored by how he handles them.

With this reasoning, I have decided to highlight different bits about Yuzu when I gush to different people. It seems to work better! eg: my brother-in-law was learning French, so I sent him H&L with French commentaries, and he was blown away! :)

Gotta find more French commentaries...

2 hours ago, wingman said:

@ruruzest: that's really nice, thanks for sharing!

That's interesting. Well I had zero FS background (zero winter sports background even), and just stumbled upon Yuzu's vids by pure chance. So it's possible to convert FS noobs, for sure! But I agree that after learning more about the technical stuff, I appreciate Yuzu even more.

I think to become a die-hard fan something has to "click" personally. For me, he is first and foremost an amazing athlete. All athletes go through the same mental stress (that's what sports psychology is all about), but Yuzu's case is just so extraordinary. 

Zero fs background here too !

First time sport fan as well!

just like you my admiration for Yuzu only multiples after learning more about the sport! 

Never in my wildest dream I would be sleeping on concrete overnight to get good seat in comp  ( which I did at ACI last year ) or cry an scream totally embarrass myself in public !!!

yes I am a proud die hard fan !:LOL:

btw my daughter who converts me also successfully converts some of her friends !

:10742288:

We need an "I'm a convert myself" option lol, which is my case :peek:

My sister started converting me when she showed me a Yuzu reacting to Javi video (GPF 2016 I think?), I found so amusing an athlete reacting like that to a rival, then I found out they trained together. But the point of no return (pun intended) was a COC2014 FS video (sorry to mention that). I just couldn't believe what I was watching, this kid who I thought was just a pretty face was made if pure steel (I feel like crying just remembering that), then I started reading about him and well... I'm currently reading the whole GS Yuzu Fan Fest threads (I'm reaching Boston 2016 TT_TT)

So I started my fanyu path thinking he was an overrated Johnny Weir-wannabe, then that he was the YOI inspiration guy and then I really understood what it means to not judge a book by the cover because he is so much more that what his pretty face might make you think :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

• 2 months later...

I got my mom into being a Hanyu fan :)  she used to not even want to watch the men's figure skating with me.  Now she loves Yuzuru and also Javi too! Though we like Yuzuru best!  My brother makes fun of me if I start talking about him too much lol. 

I  tried  to convert  my mom. She  kind of  likes  FS, she  is  an  occasional  viewer  of  FS  events ,   but  has  zero  interest in technical stuff. I  did not  really succeed. She  thinks  he  is  cute  and  talented ,  she  tolerates  me   when I bombard her  whatssapp with   his  stuff,  but   that's all actually. She  was  much  more  impressed  with  Javi when I    dragged  her  to the  screen to  see WC217 in Helsinki  :xD:

• 8 months later...

Basically everyone has a Bundesliga poster in his office in our Math Tower at Dortmund University.

To break with the soccer mainstream, I put a self-drawn portrait of Yuzu above my desk and everyone - professors, tutors, students, employees, random guests - ask, who that Asian guy is:

Spoiler

C-rRTlNXgAEoq_k.jpg

To give an accurate answer, I show them a self-made video:

Spoiler

I can't say that they became die-hard fans, but half of them come back to my office every friday afternoon to ask, when his next appearance on German television is :laughing:

On 6/19/2018 at 9:00 PM, Glory said:

I would like to know the story of who tried to convert total strangers to Hanyu fans :) it says 3 people did but only one succeeded. 

Well I gushed a lot a about Yuzu to my waitress at a local cafe.  She was an ice skater but lapsed!!  Strangely she had never heard of him.  I wrote down his name and said to YouTube him.  Don't know as yet whether she did as not been in cafe recently. 

On 2/27/2019 at 10:08 AM, Henni147 said:

Basically everyone has a Bundesliga poster in his office in our Math Tower at Dortmund University.

To break with the soccer mainstream, I put a self-drawn portrait of Yuzu above my desk and everyone - professors, tutors, students, employees, random guests - ask, who that Asian guy is:

Hide contents

C-rRTlNXgAEoq_k.jpg

To give an accurate answer, I show them a self-made video:

Hide contents

I can't say that they became die-hard fans, but half of them come back to my office every friday afternoon to ask, when his next appearance on German television is :laughing:

Gorgeous portrait.  Keep up the good work.  :img_21:  

I attempted to convert my fiancee but I failed.  For some reason showing him dozens of pictures of Yuzu's :peach: and talking about how pretty he is didn't manage to convince him :confused:

But he is coming with me to Autumn Classic if I manage to get tickets and our passports in time - crossing my fingers that the US government will be processing those.