Music talk

I have a deep and hopeless love for movie soundtracks (and yes, the minute I saw Seimei I had to spend days looking for the music online) and would absolutely adore to see Yuzu adapt this theme from Ringu by Kenji Kawa... lovely shivery chills here.

16 時間前, Mineealさんが言いました:

So... i was watching some YouTube videos and After i saw this one im now obssesed with the thought of Yuzu skating to this music! 

Michael Buble - Feeling Good

Reveal hidden contents

Feeling Good is a divine piece of music and a not infrequent choice for skaters but I feel Buble's style doesn't do justice to it. I've heard a bunch of covers and the only other version I like almost as much as Simone's original is Muse's one. So if Hanyu ever chooses to do it, I hope it'd at least be either one of these two.

As little as I would mind seeing his interpretation of it, though, there are lots of other soul and blues music he can choose from so it'd also be very very nice and inventive if he picks something that's lesser done. He's the first to do PW and LGC, right? And even though it's a classical piece, has anyone ever skated to Ballade #1 before? It's hard to imagine a skater being undaunted by the slow to frenetic tempo before Hanyu came along and being the dynamo he is, Buttle ingeniously decided it was a good fit.

Before Hanyu, no one had ever done SEIMEI or H&L before either :) And I think the first one who did R&J (1.0) that way, without actually using the original theme from the classic R&J as a cut, was also him? Not too sure about the last bit...

You gotta love how when he pioneers a program, he puts so much of himself in it and the final work, usually skated to almost artistic perfection in all its supreme difficulty, imprints so strongly in a viewer's mind, it's hard for anyone who comes after to use it and reinterpret it.

As far as classical goes, I wonder what Hanyu would look like skating to Beethoven's 7th Symphony Allegretto, specifically the 2nd movement. It's been used in movies and shows quite a bit but when I dived around to see a skating program using it, I came up empty. It'd be harder to incorporate it into a competitive long program now since the music has so much buildup (and, like Bolero but less repetitive and not as slow though it has interludes where Bolero doesn't, the buildup to a crescendo is a major part of its impact) and 4 minutes may not be enough to create the perfect atmosphere for it unless the editor is an absolute musical genius...but I'm going to dream anyway. And I'm not stopping there. It's gonna come complete with a choreography by the one and only Misha Ge.

What? If the whole thing is going to be an impossibility anyway, I might as well dream big.

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Has anyone ever suggested me this soundtracks and I've always ignored them?? @Xen maybe not for Yuzuru (too much Chinese lyrics lol), but if Boyang skated to this, I would DIE. 

No, I only mentioned for Yuzu, music from House of Flying Daggers, Last Emperor and Hero. You found this on your own, and I think it might fit Boyang more (he might get the lyrics more? There are some subtleties that would get lost in translation). For me I think I've mentioned Taiko drumming for Boyang and Yuzu (both being the speedy type), and Attack from Ten Sides (pipa music) for Yuzu. 

Now that you're here, you've reminded me that I was suppose to edit stuff to see how to fit them into 4 mins. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, Xen said:

Now that you're here, you've reminded me that I was suppose to edit stuff to see how to fit them into 4 mins. 

Talk about editing... I'm having super duper Yuzuru's FS feat. Mozart's requiem urges. 

Like, Introitus + kyrie eleison + dies irae 4 minute mash-up would be a killer combination, but also Lacrimosa would be sublime... I need to see Yuzuru skating to Mozart. I need it. 

The Australian classical music are doing a public vote countdown of dance music this weekend... I have already decided that Javi HAS to do Piazzolla, Jason needs to investigate Scott Joplin, there's a tune in Vaughan Willams' folk song suit that is perfection for Caroline Kostner and if I never see Yuzu skating to the opening of Elena Kats-Chernin's Wild Swan ballet (Green Leaf, I hope you can hear it here

my life will never quite be complete...

On 2018/5/14 at 午前12時56分, Xenさんが言いました:

No, I only mentioned for Yuzu, music from House of Flying Daggers, Last Emperor and Hero. You found this on your own, and I think it might fit Boyang more (he might get the lyrics more? There are some subtleties that would get lost in translation). For me I think I've mentioned Taiko drumming for Boyang and Yuzu (both being the speedy type), and Attack from Ten Sides (pipa music) for Yuzu. 

Chinese drama or movie music is really literally dramatic.  I love this.

15 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Talk about editing... I'm having super duper Yuzuru's FS feat. Mozart's requiem urges. 

Like, Introitus + kyrie eleison + dies irae 4 minute mash-up would be a killer combination, but also Lacrimosa would be sublime... I need to see Yuzuru skating to Mozart. I need it. 

Well Mozart would be interesting when mixed with Zu...both capable of depth, but usually prefers to troll their friends (one with far jokes and the other with Koi dance). But Lacrimosa with a signature hydroblade and ina bauer would be neat. I also wonder if anyone has bothered to do programs to Mozart's operas...that little duet of the papagino could be interesting. 

2 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

Chinese drama or movie music is really literally dramatic.  I love this.

But they can also get cheesy fast if you're not careful. 

These soft tunes can be mixed :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

One thing I have just thought of is to use the image of 蘭陵王 - Prince of Lan Ling for Yuzuru (I don't know Chinese pronunciation, but Ranryo-Oh in Japanese).

I'm interested in the legend of Ranryo-Oh -  Since he was so beautiful that soldiers admired him too much and their morale did not rise, he was always wearing a ferocious mask at the war.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/蘭陵王_(雅楽)

He must be able to portray the image of Prince of Lan Ling perfectly, without a mask though :68468287:

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Well Mozart would be interesting when mixed with Zu...both capable of depth, but usually prefers to troll their friends (one with far jokes and the other with Koi dance). But Lacrimosa with a signature hydroblade and ina bauer would be neat. I also wonder if anyone has bothered to do programs to Mozart's operas...that little duet of the papagino could be interesting. 

I've done a quick search and neither the whole Requiem neither Lacrimosa have been used a lot, which is a surprise, really! To me it perfectly suits a figure skating performance - yes, classical music is hard to interpret, but that's why we are keeping it for the best <3 

Well, if it's a duet, then I call in Pairs! 

And yes to the parallel with their characters. To me, Yuzuru is no less a genius than Mozart. So it becomes clear that every genius has a strong troll side which is hard to contain LOL.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, Murieleirum said:

Yes please!! I love that requiem 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, watching old programs, I opened up Michelle Kwan's "A Day in the Life“ SP, which features an instrumental cover of a Beatles song. Anyone else think this fits Yuzu really well? It's similar to PW in feel, but I think would be more challenging with a lot of tempo changes, and a long extended area where we can fit in a hydroblade.  And there are orchestral versions too!

As for Jazz...ahem, Lurker Zu! Found a bunch from the same guy who made Blues for Klook. Maybe take a look:

On 7/4/2018 at 11:45 PM, Xen said:

Guys, watching old programs, I opened up Michelle Kwan's "A Day in the Life“ SP, which features an instrumental cover of a Beatles song. Anyone else think this fits Yuzu really well? It's similar to PW in feel, but I think would be more challenging with a lot of tempo changes, and a long extended area where we can fit in a hydroblade.  And there are orchestral versions too!

As for Jazz...ahem, Lurker Zu! Found a bunch from the same guy who made Blues for Klook. Maybe take a look:

I like the wholesome and honest feel of "A Day in the Life" but I also want to see more sassy side of Yuzu.

I think this could show that bad ass Yuzu...

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I’ve been busy but picked up a few suggestions made in various media -  🙏🏻 Mr Hanyu, I beg of you, no Michael Jackson.......

I totally agree. I like MJ music but I don’t like seeing it for a program.