Music talk

I agree with those who have said Chopin again, if he also contemplated Grande Polonaise, it's such beautiful, soft, and dreamy music.

If we're going classical again, I would also love Bach, who is so underused. His moody/intense pieces especially.

Prelude & Fugue no.2, C minor (just imagine the CRAZY footwork)

Toccato & Fugue, D minor (THE quintessential Bach piece, dark, ominous, vampire-esque costume, come on)

vcq17 said:

I'm thinking this would be better suited to a short program...

This is so gorgeous! :love: Thank you for sharing.

i'm honest to god giggling at the idea of yuzu doing Toccata & Fugue with some dark vampiric costume cuz you know he'd have black mesh and lace and sparkles worked in and he's skate with that serial killer look on his face and female fans across the world would goddamn die.

jinabee said:
i'm honest to god giggling at the idea of yuzu doing Toccata & Fugue with some dark vampiric costume cuz you know he'd have black mesh and lace and sparkles worked in and he's skate with that serial killer look on his face and female fans across the world would goddamn die.

I approve this :love:

I would like Grande Polonaise as a SP if he does go for Chopin again. I think the combo of a softer Sp and a strong/dramatic LP works well for him. If paired with a fun ex it shows all the sides of his skating - artistic and graceful, dramatic and powerful, fun/high energy/flirty (haha). Considering how Chopin/Seimei is still considered his strongest season I wonder if he might go for a similar combo even if he doesn't go for seimei-esque LP music, but opting for programs with a similar feeling (though different enough to stand alone and not be overtly compared, though no matter what avoiding comparison is difficult if not impossible).

He can pull off anything though :P

Hanmgse said:
jinabee said:

I approve this :love:

I'm sure both the female and male fans would enjoy it very much! ;) I imagine the costume would probably be sparkly (naturally), pitch black, have a high-neckline, lace, and RUFFLES. Ruffles everywhere. I think he does really well with his jumps when he can channel intensity into it too, like the beginning of R+J1.

I once posted part of this on the Yuzu GS FF before the thread was locked:

Wagakki Band - Strong Fate

Wagakki Band - Strong Fate (Live)

Wagakki Band - Akatsuki no Ito (Live)

Wagakki Band - Nijiro Chouchou

Wagakki Band - Nikko Toshogu Shrine 400th Anniversary 遠野物語四 Toono Monogatari 4 (Live)

Wagakki Band - Hangeki no Yaiba

Icarus:

Empire of Angels

Tabitha Nauser - Unbreakable (This song really fits him imo, though more as a MAD than as his program music LOL)

The Script- Superheroes

Hey, I was just contemplating which of my favorite music I'd love to see Yuzu skate to, realized that I'm not sure what kind of music actually fits figure skating. What kind of rhythm makes skating to it easy/hard? Are certain styles or instruments especially fitting because of the nature of the sport itself? What are the qualities that make people go for the warhorses over and over again (aside from them being proven safe)? What do you think?

Then again all rules can be broken if one's willing :smile: I'll always remember the dude at 4CC that skated to iPhone's default ringtone... :s_shout :whiteflag:

Hey, I was just contemplating which of my favorite music I'd love to see Yuzu skate to, realized that I'm not sure what kind of music actually fits figure skating. What kind of rhythm makes skating to it easy/hard? Are certain styles or instruments especially fitting because of the nature of the sport itself? What are the qualities that make people go for the warhorses over and over again (aside from them being proven safe)? What do you think?

Then again all rules can be broken if one's willing :smile: I'll always remember the dude at 4CC that skated to iPhone's default ringtone... :s_shout :whiteflag:

Good question...

----------

Romeo and Juliet 1.0 (

):

1) Dramatic and impactful intro that culminates in the first intro and only quad in the program.

He successfully grabs the attention of the audience.

2) 1:17 Music calms down for him to enter the spin, but still containing enough dramatic singing for him to utilise with his hands and highlight his spins.

3) 1:32 Calm. He (or the choreographer) deliberately places a jump here to highlight contrast between the loudness (I don't mean that in the sound sense) of the jump and the silence of the music. Step sequence. The music gradually builds up through the step sequence.

4) 2:30 Music continues to build up and then Yuzu does his famous RJ1.0 fall. 2:51 Music remains softer than the intro but contains suspense, and this fits in very well with the current situation (he has fallen, will he land the 3A3T?) and hence his emoting does not clash with the mood that the music calls for. He throws out the 3A3T.

5) Music builds and builds from 3A3T onwards all the way to the terrific yell before the choreographic sequence.

6) DRAMA. Famous choreographic sequence, ultimately climaxing at the biellman spin.

7) Music suddenly drops into an undercurrent and he does the chest-stabbing before ending the program.

----------

Chopin Ballade No.1 (

)

1) Quiet beginning. He strategically holds still so that he can draw the curiosity and attention of the audience via silence and stillness as opposed to using motion.

2) He begins moving and music slowly builds, in an unhurried manner, slightly languid even.

3) 1:10 music suddenly gets a bit louder, he does the spread-eagle, music gets even louder, 4S, music quietens again as he does transitions out.

4) Music builds once again, higher and higher, louder and louder, Yuzu gains speed and intensity, culminating in 4T3T.

5) Music softens slightly, then gets louder again as he matches the music and beat to do the spin. Music quietens again as he goes through the spin positions/variations (sorry not a tech expert).

6) Music is like 2), he does his transitions.

7) 2:26 There is a slight pause in music between 6) and 2:26. Music is louder once again, he does the 3A from counter entry. He enters spin.

8) 2:37 Music gets increasingly intense, his spins are also intense and fast.

9) 2:47 Music culminates, he exits spin and begins his sequence.

10) 2:54 A slight pause but it is very suspenseful, and Yuzu himself is stretched taut like an arrow on a bowstring, ready to shoot out.

11) 2:55 He does his sequence, the notes of the music run quickly and are full of intensity. It gets faster. He enters final spin.

12) Final spin, the notes of the music run more heavily and are less light as they were during the sequence, giving the effect of a dramatic ending. Yuzu punctuates final note with the ending pose.

-----------

One of the reasons for choosing a piece might be due to the possibility of separating the music into identifiable sections.

For example, in a long program: an intro > gradual buildup > chorus/plateau for step sequence that gradually quietens down for the mid-program pause > interlude for a couple of 2nd half jumps > gradual buildup > DRAMA > end

Another might be that they have sufficient highs and lows that can be used with elements to punctuate and highlight the performance.

I don't know much about music so forgive any incorrect terms, but dramatic/lyrical (?) music run like stories, except they are written in the language of music notes.

A interesting read about how stories are plotted emotionally: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... er/490733/

Skating a program is literally a skater up on stage to showcase the story they want to tell to the judges and audience. As the article says, Rags to Riches (rise, in FS case, rising slowly throughout) is popular, Cinderalla (rise then fall then rise, in FS case, high-low-high like RJ1.0) too. And Oedipus (fall then rise then fall, in FS case, low-high-low). And if you listen, you'll realise much program music take structures like that (do note the structures mentioned are basic skeletal ones, they have smaller peaks and smaller lows in between like the two programs above). Some structures popular in writing may not work in FS since the 'stories' are told through different mediums and what works in one may not work in the other.

Mad Max OST! That would be my dream. In other words something intense with a rock-star vibe that is unique and allows him to go wild.

Speaking of warhorses though, i would really like to see Yuzu skate to danse macabre in a black version of his notte stellata costume.

YES x1000000 to this! :love:

While I also love Yuzu's more introspective and calm programs like Chopin Ballade and Notte Stellata, I think Yuzu's forte is dramatic music and I really want to see him do a program where he just lets it all out again a la Romeo and Juliet I.

I think Mad Max is a good choice because it has many rhythmic(?) moments in it that would fit well with step sequences, and also dramatic and sweeping climaxes that would be perfect for his Ina Bauer.

I don't think many people have skated to it, which is also another perk? Wouldn't want another POTO season during the Olympics. :nono:

I totally agree!

I think one of his most appealing traits is his capacity for variety: he has an amazing spectrum and isn't one of those skaters with the apparent emotional range of a potato. As a result, R&J1 is still one of the best LP soundtracks ever conceived for him! Would love to see something like this again next season.

And I loved how he played up his maturity in LGC- so I really agree and think something fun and sexy for the SP again would be great! A rock song, and it could be something more contemporary like Til the Love Runs Out by OneRepublic (love this song) :D

Sometimes the problerm is not the music itself, wrong music cuts can ruin the program. Since R&J1 many skaters used the same music, but not the same cuts and it never impressed me that much.

I would like ar least one classical music program, even if it is a warhorse (with no recent legendary perfomances :smile: ).

Chopin, Rachmaninoff, any piano or violin music. It suits his style of skating so well.

Actually something like Etude & R&J1 combo could be perfect for Olympics.

ETA he mentioned recently that PW and Notte Stellata showcased his skating abilities best of all, so probably we should expect something similar next season.

As a longtime opera fan I would like him to skate to Turandot, by it is so overused now and with Shoma repeating his LP it is absolutely impossible. :sad: