Music talk

15 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

As an experiment I played the music arrangement of PotO for Alina and Yuzuru to the ALW fans in my family - just the music, not the skating videos.  They were horrified at the sacrilege of cutting it into bits at all 🙄, but once the concept was explained they were OK with Yuzuru’s arrangement but still horrified by Alinas.  I listen when I have to but these two love Phantom and know it by heart- they think Alinas arrangement is just chopped up bits with no thought to the flow- I wouldn’t say they were happy with Ys version but they can see that it was put together with thought and care towards the music.

I agree. I havent been on this forum for long but I've been seeing a lot of complaints and hate for warhorse music. While I dont particularly enjoy them, I have always thought they go well with Yuzuru's skating style -- or maybe I should even say those are Yuzuru's skating style. I always feel like Yuzuru pulls off dramatic classical musics like no other. I also always feel like Yuzuru's music is soo well arranged and intentional. The cuts blend too nicely together to the point I enjoy the medley more than just listening to the original individual music. 

24 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

I agree. I havent been in this forum for long but I've been seeing a lot of complaints and hate for warhorse music. While I dont particularly enjoy them, I have always thought they go well with Yuzuru's skating style -- or maybe I should even say those are Yuzuru's skating style. I always feel like Yuzuru pulls off dramatic classical musics like no other. I also always feel like Yuzuru's music is soo well arranged and intentional. The cuts blend too nicely together to the point I enjoy the medley more than just listening to the original individual music. 

We might be the few who enjoys warhorses. Totally agree with everything you said. I still think Yuzu has one of the best POTO program I have ever seen. I’m not sure if he did music edits for it though. 

All I know if someone gave Alina POTO music to Yuzu we would probably see that CD or USB or whatever it’s on fly straight into the trash.  :waffle:

8 hours ago, Sammie said:

We might be the few who enjoys warhorses. Totally agree with everything you said. I still think Yuzu has one of the best POTO program I have ever seen. I’m not sure if he did music edits for it though. 

All I know if someone gave Alina POTO music to Yuzu we would probably see that CD or USB or whatever it’s on fly straight into the trash.  :waffle:

I don't mind warhorses. There are just a couple music pieces I don't like, regardless of warhorse status, and mainly it's centered on Carmen. =)

POTO is one of the less hated warhorses in my list.

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

I don't mind warhorses. There are just a couple music pieces I don't like, regardless of warhorse status, and mainly it's centered on Carmen. =)

POTO is one of the less hated warhorses in my list.

I’m okay with Carmen :68468287: ... I think ... let see how I feel about it after Alina reveal her free.....

While watching Asian Open and the scream of ROoooxanne rip through the rink I realize I really dislike MR  :13877886: 

12 hours ago, Sammie said:

Yeah I only know he edits Seimei but I feel like the arrangment for POTO and most of his music programs is similar. I wouldnt be surprised if he did it for POTO. I really love how the arrangement in his music programs always has a dramatic opening for two quad and 1 triple jumping passes, followed by a slow and melodic middle for the step sequence, followed by a climax for the 2nd half when he gets the 10% bonus and another step sequence/choreographic moves and his unique spin ending. It just feels like he uses his music so well to tell the story from beginning to end be it in 2 mins or 4.5 mins. He has total control of his music and connection to it. 

LOL at the last part. Yuzu is too much of a perfectionist to skate to that piece but if he has to he will somehow still make it work. That just shows how much confidence I have in his musicality.

6 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I admit if he were to choose Jazz I wish he'd choose something less known. Fly me to the Moon has definitely been done, quite a few times even if the covers differ. 

I still hope Zu will go for at least one Japanese piece. 

I agree. I also prefer him skating to non vocal pieces. Let his body sing

2 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

I agree. I also prefer him skating to non vocal pieces. Let his body sing

Yes, I prefer that too, though I don't know why but I keep wondering if he'll go for a half-half, much like he did in 2016/17 if he wants something fun for the SP. I'm probably just over-thinking as I the time keeps going tick tock, very slowly, with no news :68468287:

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yes, I prefer that too, though I don't know why but I keep wondering if he'll go for a half-half, much like he did in 2016/17 if he wants something fun for the SP. I'm probably just over-thinking as I the time keeps going tick tock, very slowly, with no news :68468287:

Haha I think I do like some music with vocals such as LGC since it's upbeat and fun, which suits his rock star style, and POTO since there's just a few parts of the medley, and Notte Stellata. This is actually my first season waiting for his new program, so I'm also very excited haha but waiting has its own fun...I'm sure I'll get a lot of side eyeing for that LOL

If Yuzuru were Chinese, I think this would suit him very much. The is a medley for the two songs Jing Hong Wu and Feng Huan Yu Fei from the megahit drama Legend of Zhen Huan 

9 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Haha I think I do like some music with vocals such as LGC since it's upbeat and fun, which suits his rock star style, and POTO since there's just a few parts of the medley, and Notte Stellata. This is actually my first season waiting for his new program, so I'm also very excited haha but waiting has its own fun...I'm sure I'll get a lot of side eyeing for that LOL

If Yuzuru were Chinese, I think this would suit him very much. The is a medley for the two songs Jing Hong Wu and Feng Huan Yu Fei from the megahit drama Legend of Zhen Huan 

Ooh Empress in the Palace, I know this one! It is lovely! I suppose we keep going back to the fact there's so much available out there yet skating seems to be so limited in the choices. Boggles the mind. I do hope though that as time passes Asian skaters look at their own home as source of music so perhaps a Chinese skater could pick something like this, Koreans can delve into the many fantastic OSTs they have from their own dramas, etc and then it might spread. I am not sure there is another way but of course for this to happen, the judges must be receptive to it.

He might go for something like One OK Rock who knows? It is rock and Japanese to boot and we know he listens to them. It'd certainly be a 'new' thing, so I wouldn't complain for sure. Then he could go for something more lyrical if he wants, for the free. 

And aww, goodness, first time! No, why side-eyeing! It's perfectly understandable to enjoy the wait. There are other peeps here who are having fun with it too. I'm just horribly impatient as I've been through this song and dance a few times by now, and not just with Zu so am in the tap your foot stage. Hopefully he'll put me out of my misery soon :68468287:

35 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

My first preseason too!  An goodness knows, I've come up with more "Oh he really really should do this music!!!" moments than the poor man has time and energy for for the next century or so...

It boggles the mind, though, that with the whole wide world of music available, skaters keep going back to the same narrow range.  I'm hoping that Yuzu - having shown with Seimei and Hope&Legacy that he can push the boundaries - will give us something out of left field (and at least one more Japanese.  Please Yuzu, and Japanese.)

30 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Ooh Empress in the Palace, I know this one! It is lovely! I suppose we keep going back to the fact there's so much available out there yet skating seems to be so limited in the choices. Boggles the mind. I do hope though that as time passes Asian skaters look at their own home as source of music so perhaps a Chinese skater could pick something like this, Koreans can delve into the many fantastic OSTs they have from their own dramas, etc and then it might spread. I am not sure there is another way but of course for this to happen, the judges must be receptive to it.

He might go for something like One OK Rock who knows? It is rock and Japanese to boot and we know he listens to them. It'd certainly be a 'new' thing, so I wouldn't complain for sure. Then he could go for something more lyrical if he wants, for the free. 

And aww, goodness, first time! No, why side-eyeing! It's perfectly understandable to enjoy the wait. There are other peeps here who are having fun with it too. I'm just horribly impatient as I've been through this song and dance a few times by now, and not just with Zu so am in the tap your foot stage. Hopefully he'll put me out of my misery soon :68468287:

19 minutes ago, TallyT said:

My first preseason too!  An goodness knows, I've come up with more "Oh he really really shoud do this music!!!" moments than the poor man has time and energy for for the next century or so...

It boggles the mind, though, that with the whole wide world of music available, skaters keep going back to the same narrow range.  I'm hoping that Yuzu - having shown with Seimei and Hope&Legacy that he can push the boundaries - will give us something out of left field (and at least one more Japanese.  Please Yuzu, and Japanese.)

Awww both of your comments are so sweet! Oh yeah, I'm also surprised as to why the music choice for skating world is so limited/narrow? There are so many great asian music choices out there!!! Maybe with some skaters, their choreographers choose it for them?  Maybe with some skaters, they choose their own music but choose a safe classic to connect with the audience? Apparently, the problem with those scenarios is the skaters can't connect with the music/program themselves.

Some of the other skaters, I don't feel like they believe in their own program/music enough to draw us into the world they try to create through their program. As for Yuzuru, he chooses and believes in his own music/program, which completing draws us into the world he creates. 

2 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

There are so many great asian music choices out there!!!

Actually, I must sheepishly admit that one of my "only in my dreams, but oh my dreams!!" choices was about as unAsian as they come... Ralph Vaughan Williams, quintessially English but the spiritual power and pure beauty would suit Yuzu down to the ground.  In fact, I tend to wonder why more skaters don't go for him (maybe 'cause of the Englishness?) - and there is more to RVW than Lark Ascending, skaters!!!

My top pick would in fact be the 3rd movement (romance) from his 5th symphony which IMO may just be the most beautiful, catch-in-the-throat piece of music ever, but has the sweep and emotion for a skating cut to be exquisite...

8 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Actually, I must sheepishly admit that one of my "only in my dreams, but oh my dreams!!" choices was about as unAsian as they come... Ralph Vaughan Williams, quintessially English but the spiritual power and pure beauty would suit Yuzu down to the ground.  In fact, I tend to wonder why more skaters don't go for him (maybe 'cause of the Englishness?) - and there is more to RVW than Lark Ascending, skaters!!!

My top pick would in fact be the 3rd movement (romance) from his 5th symphony which IMO may just be the most beautiful, catch-in-the-throat piece of music ever, but has the sweep and emotion for a skating cut to be exquisite...

LOL no worries! What I meant was it's a lot harder to choose an asian piece haha I just listened to it briefly and it's really good! Lovely piece! But it's a little soft and slow with no narrative so it would need to take a skater as good as Yuzuru to skate to this piece. 

I also like this