Music talk

It will be interesting to see where he goes next - somewhere I read that when he did NDP he actually wanted to do Phantom, which of course eventually he did - maybe there are other warhorses out there that he's been wanting to do- iirc in the interview with Finland TV he said he wanted to skate to lots of different sorts of music.  He made me enjoy Phantom - anything is possible.

Question for everyone:

I'm currently listening to The Imitation Game soundtrack (https://youtu.be/KXiTSdSN79I)

There are a couple skaters whom I think this might fit. Some parts might fit Yuzu, but it could also work for Kaori, Mai and maaaybe even Boyang.  The way the music is accented, I think the speed of the above skaters would work.

Also, trying to see if something could work with Interstellar. The piece "No Time for Caution" (how appropriate if he brings out Nessie), is exactly 4 mins:

https://youtu.be/m3zvVGJrTP8

• 2 weeks later...

I was feeling a bit nostalgic last night and rewatched the entirety of Madoka Magica + Rebellion. And boy, I forgot how much I love the soundtrack:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: it is rly unorthodox though, and even though I can see small bits of each piece fitting nicely into a program, I'm not sure how it would be possible to properly cut anything and turn it into cohesive piece that can also fit into a 4 min. time frame.

Also, pretty sure I've posted this before somewhere in this thread but a program, SP or FS, to Fanny Mendelsohn's Das Jahr would be a dream, idc who does it, but aside from off Yuzuru, I can definitely imagine Mai and Patrick being a lovely fit for this.

On 8.01.2018 at 6:01 AM, Anony said:

I was feeling a bit nostalgic last night and rewatched the entirety of Madoka Magica + Rebellion. And boy, I forgot how much I love the soundtrack:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: it is rly unorthodox though, and even though I can see small bits of each piece fitting nicely into a program, I'm not sure how it would be possible to properly cut anything and turn it into cohesive piece that can also fit into a 4 min. time frame.

Actually I was about to post my random weird question of the week regarding that- If ISU lost his mind completely decided to take up controversial tactics against warhorses, and ordered that from now on, only anime-related music was available to choose from, what kind of songs/soundtracks would cut it in you guys' opinion, aside of the obvious YoI references? I really hope Akiko Shikata would make cut. Either way, Kevin Reynolds would be in heaven. Also, sorry if this sounds like I assume everybody here watch anime, I just have seen very little of composers related with that genre being proposed here, excluding Joe Hisaishi of course...

On 1/14/2018 at 4:41 AM, Aotoshiro said:

Actually I was about to post my random weird question of the week regarding that- If ISU lost his mind completely decided to take up controversial tactics against warhorses, and ordered that from now on, only anime-related music was available to choose from, what kind of songs/soundtracks would cut it in you guys' opinion, aside of the obvious YoI references? I really hope Akiko Shikata would make cut. Either way, Kevin Reynolds would be in heaven. Also, sorry if this sounds like I assume everybody here watch anime, I just have seen very little of composers related with that genre being proposed here, excluding Joe Hisaishi of course...

Okay, I'll bite:

- Kenji Kawai: Ghost in the Shell, Fate, his music is really neat and I think it's something that Yuzu could skate to. Frankly, I want to see someone skate to the Ghost in the shell movie music: https://youtu.be/z64HCi2rQkE

-Not sure if this is cheating, but Nodame Cantabile has classical music. In fact, a lot of the music animes might work well, such as Your Lie in April besides Nodame.

- If we extend the anime and manga theme to movies too, you could technically include Blade of the Immortal and Rurouni Kenshin

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Okay, I'll bite:

- Kenji Kawai: Ghost in the Shell, Fate, his music is really neat and I think it's something that Yuzu could skate to. Frankly, I want to see someone skate to the Ghost in the shell movie music: https://youtu.be/z64HCi2rQkE

-Not sure if this is cheating, but Nodame Cantabile has classical music. In fact, a lot of the music animes might work well, such as Your Lie in April besides Nodame.

- If we extend the anime and manga theme to movies too, you could technically include Blade of the Immortal and Rurouni Kenshin

Of course we extend it to movies as well! Half of JOe Hisaishi tones I have in my head are form Spirited away! Pluz Elizabeth Tursynbaeva kind of made my wish to see a Mononoke program come true but I wish it was a bit more connected...

If we're speaking Ghost in the Shell, what about Yoko Kanno's pieces for that production? I'm not in the FS this long to just hear the song and imagine a program skated to it, but some of her and Origa collabs have this feel like you just want to put a good spin/quad here and there xD

5 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

Of course we extend it to movies as well! Half of JOe Hisaishi tones I have in my head are form Spirited away! Pluz Elizabeth Tursynbaeva kind of made my wish to see a Mononoke program come true but I wish it was a bit more connected...

If we're speaking Ghost in the Shell, what about Yoko Kanno's pieces for that production? I'm not in the FS this long to just hear the song and imagine a program skated to it, but some of her and Origa collabs have this feel like you just want to put a good spin/quad here and there xD

Ah yes, Yoko Kanno would work. Inner Universe? Might work for SP or Ex, not sure about LP. 

By the way, I think I mentioned before that Yuzu could try skating to '"The Real Folk Blues" from Cowboy Bebop, since he's mentioned jazz before.  And then there's the entire Vision of Escaflowne music that Kanno created too.

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Ah yes, Yoko Kanno would work. Inner Universe? Might work for SP or Ex, not sure about LP. 

By the way, I think I mentioned before that Yuzu could try skating to '"The Real Folk Blues" from Cowboy Bebop, since he's mentioned jazz before.  And then there's the entire Vision of Escaflowne music that Kanno created too.

Dance of the Curse from Escaflowne! Even quality crossovers would work with that, plus the length would be just about fine for the short (ok, a bit too long...). For Yuzu I'd love to see him changing "Butterfly" from Durarara's ending into an ice masterpiece, but I guess Jazz would fit more, since he says he enjoyed it...

Um, today while checking up Jeffery Buttle's wikipedia article, it says he had 2 programs for the 08/09 season that apparently he never skated because he announced his retirement in Sept 2008, right before the start of competition.

The pieces he chose were:

1) SP -Ryuichi Sakamoto's MAY in the backyard: https://youtu.be/c99djvL_4Xg

2) LP-Gerald Finzi's Eclogue: https://youtu.be/EkQbzZgwfl0

So, would it not be interesting to see Yuzu skate to 2 pieces that his own choreographer never brought to the public eye? Would Jeffery Buttle be okay with it? How would some of the music pieces that JButt skate to work with Yuzu? They both were of the same approximate height, similar slender builds, and light agile feet. I'm not sure how the first piece from Sakamoto would work, but it does seem to have some blues and Jazz components. I personally don't really feel this music, but who knows. Eclogue feels very different from all of Yuzu's competitive programs-the melodic flow is soft, possibly even more challenging to express than even H&L?

Last but not least, some part of me wants to see Yuzu skate to "Sing Sing Sing" again. I was looking up Buttle's 2006 SP to the same song, and can't help but wonder, if Buttle could choreograph for Yuzu a SP to that same song, what type of insane, but fun footwork would we get?

For reference, Buttle's Sing Sing Sing: https://youtu.be/bHUmNqaOAoM

On 23.01.2018 at 12:11 PM, Xen said:

Um, today while checking up Jeffery Buttle's wikipedia article, it says he had 2 programs for the 08/09 season that apparently he never skated because he announced his retirement in Sept 2008, right before the start of competition.

The pieces he chose were:

1) SP -Ryuichi Sakamoto's MAY in the backyard: https://youtu.be/c99djvL_4Xg

2) LP-Gerald Finzi's Eclogue: https://youtu.be/EkQbzZgwfl0

So, would it not be interesting to see Yuzu skate to 2 pieces that his own choreographer never brought to the public eye? Would Jeffery Buttle be okay with it? How would some of the music pieces that JButt skate to work with Yuzu? They both were of the same approximate height, similar slender builds, and light agile feet. I'm not sure how the first piece from Sakamoto would work, but it does seem to have some blues and Jazz components. I personally don't really feel this music, but who knows. Eclogue feels very different from all of Yuzu's competitive programs-the melodic flow is soft, possibly even more challenging to express than even H&L?

Last but not least, some part of me wants to see Yuzu skate to "Sing Sing Sing" again. I was looking up Buttle's 2006 SP to the same song, and can't help but wonder, if Buttle could choreograph for Yuzu a SP to that same song, what type of insane, but fun footwork would we get?

For reference, Buttle's Sing Sing Sing: https://youtu.be/bHUmNqaOAoM

Re: Sing sing sing, it would probably be even crazier Let's go crazy St. Seq

• 1 month later...

This rather belongs here than in the general chat thread:

"During the Olympics, in my free skate, I utilized music from the soundtrack of the film ‘Onmyoji’ […] When we consider the history of figure skating, it’s very rare actually for people from Asia to win in figure skating competitions. The sport evolved and was developed in Europe and later came to Japan, and of course, the historical developments of Europe and Japan are very much different, also the length of the history of the sport in different regions is very different as well. It’s often thought that people from Asia are perhaps at a disadvantage in expressive sports or sports which require this kind of expression and artistry. Therefore, I believe the fact that I was able to use this Japanese music for my program and achieve the gold medal using this music was really a historic step forward. From now, I hope that this can be an opportunity to lead to using more music from my own country or utilizing aspects of unique cultures in the music of competitions."

from here: 

To be honest ... I can hardly imagine that any other skater would have been so successful with this music from ‘Onmyoji’ -  you probably have to be a genius like him. So I don't think that it will motivate a lot of other Japanese skaters to chose a music like this for their free skate.