Let's show our gratitude to TCC (and not only?)

KatjaThera

3 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Tim Tams are everywhere now, apparently!Vegemite, on the other hand... "Please apply as you would peanut butter." :peek:

Wow really? That's pretty awesome! I'm sure there's specific flavours that are only sold in Australia- maybe we could send those? We could even put in a little guide on how to do a Tim Tam slam :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

5 hours ago, bearsies said:

So I'm from Toronto (I moved away 3 years ago), so I'm happy to answer any questions about the city for this project!

Anyways, it's not clear to me who the gift certificates, etc are for? Is it to give the staff in TCC an opportunity to hang out outside skating, or? I don't recommend the Science Center, the exhibits are quite outdated. The Toronto Zoo was fun when the pandas were there (they left earlier this year, I think). Also, yes, there are MANY Starbucks in Toronto. 

I think it would be really neat if the gift is a box full of chocolates/candies/sweets that's from the home countries of the forum members (kind of like the boxes of mixed chocolates that are on sale at most airport duty free shops)! This will take some coordination - but it seems like there's a handful of satellites going to upcoming events, so these can serve as opportunities to consolidate these items! 

Not to hang out but kinda for everyone to have something? Because a big gift might not be shared amongst *everyone*. But I can see how a gift of lots of $10 giftcards may seem...weird. Anyway, the idea about the items from each satellite's home country sounds super sweet and thoughtful. It sounds more personal than giftcards. Maybe we can have someone in Canada collect a bunch of little things from satellites all over the World? And then mail it to TCC (I don't suggest visiting, as it's a private club, and they don't really allow visitors per se. They might let you in with a gift but I think they'd much prefer if you just mailed it...just IMO).

8 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Not to hang out but kinda for everyone to have something? Because a big gift might not be shared amongst *everyone*. But I can see how a gift of lots of $10 giftcards may seem...weird. Anyway, the idea about the items from each satellite's home country sounds super sweet and thoughtful. It sounds more personal than giftcards. Maybe we can have someone in Canada collect a bunch of little things from satellites all over the World? And then mail it to TCC (I don't suggest visiting, as it's a private club, and they don't really allow visitors per se. They might let you in with a gift but I think they'd much prefer if you just mailed it...just IMO).

Oh...something from my hometown eh?

*thinks hard, goes to Panda research center and tries to grab a Panda* Hey, you think this can be shipped? *gets arrested and jailed for life for trying to ship out a national treasure*

Actually if we plan to do a giant gift card thing, I do have an idea. When they announce the GP entries, maybe we can give targetted gifts cards? For example, Starbucks prepaid gift cards are region/country locked right? So if we know that someone in TCC will be skating in China, perhaps we could give some starbucks giftcards that work in China. We know there will be TCC in Japan, Canada, Spain and Russia, so those countries' gift cards could definitely work. Then this won't appear as odd, since it's much more targetted.

46 minutes ago, Xen said:

So if we know that someone in TCC will be skating in China, perhaps we could give some starbucks giftcards that work in China. We know there will be TCC in Japan, Canada, Spain and Russia, so those countries' gift cards could definitely work. Then this won't appear as odd, since it's much more targetted.

Super cute! Hmm instead of starbucks giftcards, maybe some giftcards for local shops? And attractions? Though I'm guessing they won't be going to zoos and stuff until at least after the competition if at all. Probably not a lot of time :biggrin:

5 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I prefer mailing too, but in that sense we should consider gifts that do not require temperature controlled shipping, i.e., chocolate, ice wine may not play well. The reason that I raised the drop-off option earlier is to avoid cost and hassle in shipping those temp sensitive items, and make sure they get there on time. If we stay with items that endure shipping with long shelf life then it’s easier. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 2:00 PM, SparkleSalad said:

Tim Tams are everywhere now, apparently!Vegemite, on the other hand... "Please apply as you would peanut butter." :peek:

Umm, I love the stuff, but I have seen foreigners with Vegemite, and somehow I can't see them being grateful to us....:8:

(It needs to be spread very very thin, with quite a lot of butter. NOT - as I've seen - eaten with a spoon...)

Tim Tams, definitely. Nature's perfect health food.

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf2NaKA3ue0RTvQqH7PfwVlpydHSZXcoLrMhuPiag4fX8gGsw/viewform

I made a form, if people are still interested in this :) If we get enough messages, we can put them on a banner and/or book. And mail it to TCC sometimes this summer :biggrin: 

Is there a deadline for this? I definitely want to write something but I'll take a bit of time to come up with the right words probably 

I also really like the idea of everyone sending something from their hometown / country if there is someone willing to collect everything and send it to TCC:tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

eta: is it mean that I want to send Brian one of these? :P
s-l1000.jpg

4 hours ago, TallyT said:

Umm, I love the stuff, but I have seen foreigners with Vegemite, and somehow I can't see them being grateful to us....:8:

(It needs to be spread very very thin, with quite a lot of butter. NOT - as I've seen - eaten with a spoon...)

Tim Tams, definitely. Nature's perfect health food.

Whispers: I eat vegamite and bovril with a spoon....AND I LIKE IT :smiley-scared007:

6 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

Is there a deadline for this? I definitely want to write something but I'll take a bit of time to come up with the right words probably 

I also really like the idea of everyone sending something from their hometown / country if there is someone willing to collect everything and send it to TCC:tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

eta: is it mean that I want to send Brian one of these? :P
s-l1000.jpg

LOL! Hmm, deadline...let's say end of June, so I can print the banner and/or book. And by end of July, we get everything collected & ready to mail? That way we can prepare it all before the season begins :)