[Eng Translation] Yuzuru Hanyu Quotes

axelsandwich

‘It’s okay to feel pressure. If you can overcome it, you can become stronger.’

Date unknown - Once you mount the battle stage, your competitors’ levels become higher and there are times where you can’t do things you normally can do. The difference between junior and senior level is like this, as is the gap between competitions within a country and international competitions. Obviously, the more attention you get and the more important the competition, the more pressure there will be. Having overcome countless setbacks and roadblocks, Hanyu has acquired strength (13/?)

‘I am ‘me’. Humans are individuals and there isn’t anyone who is identical to you. We are all unique.* I also have many bad points. But I think that instead of only looking for the bad points, if you look for the things that are good (about your child), they will be happy and can grow and mature even more.’

Dec 2014 - Hanyu gave this answer to a question he received at the press conference after his consecutive victory at the Grand Prix Final that ‘there are many mothers who want to bring their children up to be like Hanyu-senshuu, can you tell us how you think they can do so?’ Even in the present day, he never forgets the feelings of gratefulness he has towards his mother and family who have given him such support. This is also the same when it comes to his team staff and fans. He strongly feels that he was ‘brought up’ by many people (14/?)

*十人十色 is a Japanese idiom that literally translates to ‘ten people, ten colours’ but is essentially expressing that every person is unique. 

• 4 weeks later...

I hope someone translated this book into Eng someday.Would really love to read Hanyu's words from time to time as reminder.What a great time to be alive,now that we discovered Hanyu. This boy is just so.... i couldnt find the perfect word.

Ps: Op ..many thanks to you for sharing this !!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm slowly get back to learning Japanese. It's harddddd but when I opened his autobiography, I came back to this translalation post to read the translation of his quotes to motivate me to not give up!

Thank you for still keeping this post🙇‍♀️

On 1/12/2018 at 5:48 AM, axelsandwich said:

‘It doesn’t matter if I’m an Olympic Champion or World Champion, my motivation does not lessen and I want to become stronger. My new opponent is myself.’

April 2014 - After becoming Olympic Champion at Sochi, Hanyu was asked ‘what kind of pressure do you feel as an Olympic champion and what’s your next goal’? by the media. Hanyu was not thinking about the fact he had become the champion or that he had reached a state of perfection. There were many things to accomplish in front of him so he continued to always say, ‘I want to become stronger’. (1/?)

Beautiful 🫠