meoima

Ice skating FAQ and introductions for new fans

These videos provide quite good explanations on the various elements making up the PCS score.

It's a sizeable collection of videos, but it's interesting because it helps understand what good quality transitions, skating skills, interpretation, etc. look like.

(Now can we send these to the judges...)

For fans on Twitter, this thread collects various topics on figure skating in general. There are posts and videos on all 6 types of jumps, talks on skating skills, posture and judging, please enjoy. If there are questions, you can send OP on the Curious Cat account: 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, meoima said:

A very great posts for new fans who want to study the basic turns and steps, this blog has all the examples for all the steps and the examples are very great http://illyria-and-her-pet.tumblr.com/post/182237416574/figure-skating-stepsturns

Hello! This is my post. And I now have a video version of this to go along with the post and gifs as well. 

Difficult Steps/Turns (those that count for levels) for Singles/Pairs: Rocker, Counter, Bracket, Choctaw, Twizzle, Loop

Difficult Steps/Turns (those that count for levels) for Ice Dance: Rocker, Counter, Bracket, Choctaw, Twizzle, Outside Mohawk

Non-Difficult Steps/Turns (those that don't count for levels): three turn, inside mohawk, toe steps, chasse, change of edge, cross roll, crossed step in front, crossed step behind, slip steps, swing roll, progressive, illusion, crossovers

I have examples of all the difficult steps/turns from every entry edge. I also have examples of two of the non-difficult steps/turns from every entry edge (three-turn and inside mohawk).

48 minutes ago, illyria said:

Hello! This is my post. And I now have a video version of this to go along with the post and gifs as well. 

Difficult Steps/Turns (those that count for levels) for Singles/Pairs: Rocker, Counter, Bracket, Choctaw, Twizzle, Loop

Difficult Steps/Turns (those that count for levels) for Ice Dance: Rocker, Counter, Bracket, Choctaw, Twizzle, Outside Mohawk

Non-Difficult Steps/Turns (those that don't count for levels): three turn, inside mohawk, toe steps, chasse, change of edge, cross roll, crossed step in front, crossed step behind, slip steps, swing roll, progressive, illusion, crossovers

I have examples of all the difficult steps/turns from every entry edge. I also have examples of two of the non-difficult steps/turns from every entry edge (three-turn and inside mohawk).

Thank you very much for this highly informative, useful and very well edited video with all the examples and slow-mos. I hope many people will watch this (and read your post) because it's a very good way to learn about steps and turns. 

@illyria Your gifsets and video on steps and turns are absolutely priceless, thank you so much for doing them! And for the stsq breakdowns as well that you do on your blog.